Olin Kreutz

Buftex

This society is getting soft, "I'm just not feeling it" is everyday at a real job. He needs to man up and finish the season for his team and quit feeling sorry for himself.

This society is getting soft, "I'm just not feeling it" is everyday at a real job. He needs to man up and finish the season for his team and quit feeling sorry for himself.

You can't compare the NFL to a "real" job. I hate when people do that, you have to realize that the NFL is a job where you are at the top .1% in terms of people who can preform that job. You job in the NFL also contributes to the worlds most valuable television property.

So you can't compare a school teacher to an NFL player its just not an apt comparison. Also if you had enough money to retire from your job wouldn't you especially if you aren't feeling it?

Now that being said I am split on this 50/50, Kreutz is walking away instead of giving a half assed effort. BUT he is also giving up on his team. Is it noble to walk away instead of phoning it in or do you owe your teammates to phone it in because you phoning it in is better than the backup at full caliber.

Quite frankly, how many people here have woken up in the morning dreading going to work, and decided that was the day to quit? I have, twice.

One of the best days I have had in the last three years was when I woke up, called my manager at Sister Hospital and told her I wasn't coming in. Her response that was since I did not have PTO left (they used you PTO when there was a low cenus and you were downstaffed) I was going to be written up. My response was that she didn't understand. I wasn't coming in again.

wasent he not playing anyway for the Saints this year? is it really that big of a hole then? I could be way wrong but I seem to remember him being hurt and not playing anyway????

He's the starter but missed some time (2games?)

These guys have life problems like we all do.....and when it comes down to it family will always trump football....i hope everything is ok with him first and foremost. You cant say he quit on his team when you dont know the truth! I wish him the best.

The more that comes out, the more it seems he just "wasn't feeling the atmosphere" around team. It sounds like he was feeling out of place, not that something outside pulled him away.

IF and this is a big IF - he walked because he didn't want to get benched.... That would be incredibly disappointing. If he walked due to family issues thats a totally different story.

One of the best days I have had in the last three years was when I woke up, called my manager at Sister Hospital and told her I wasn't coming in. Her response that was since I did not have PTO left (they used you PTO when there was a low cenus and you were downstaffed) I was going to be written up. My response was that she didn't understand. I wasn't coming in again.

Haha nice. Yea seriously. Who is anyone here to judge someone who doesn't want to work their job anymore and quit just like half of us would like to do/have done/will do...

Haha nice. Yea seriously. Who is anyone here to judge someone who doesn't want to work their job anymore and quit just like half of us would like to do/have done/will do...

Do you do that with 2 months left on a huge project that everyone's counting on you for.... You know, one you signed up for in august? If it's simply "meh, I just wasn't feeling it in new Orleans- maybe I'll play somewhere else...." that would knock him down a few notches in my book(I'm sure that'll keep him up at night!).

Good for him. Him leaving is 100x better than him just going through the motion just to collect his paycheck. In fact, I wish more players would immediately leave their team when they don't give a care anymore. Less injuries would happen then. This is a lot better than what Fat Albert has been doing. I wish him luck.

Good for him. Him leaving is 100x better than him just going through the motion just to collect his paycheck. In fact, I wish more players would immediately leave their team when they don't give a care anymore. Less injuries would happen then. This is a lot better than what Fat Albert has been doing. I wish him luck.

This. :thumbsup:

If it's simply "meh, I just wasn't feeling it in new Orleans- maybe I'll play somewhere else...." that would knock him down a few notches in my book(I'm sure that'll keep him up at night!).

What part of this whole situation do you not understand. He retired, he isn't going to go play somewhere else. :wallbash:

What part of this whole situation do you not understand. He retired, he isn't going to go play somewhere else. :wallbash:

As of that post, and possibly still, he has not retired. He has left the team, and there were whisperings around the team he was hoping to be released.

Now that being said I am split on this 50/50, Kreutz is walking away instead of giving a half assed effort. BUT he is also giving up on his team. Is it noble to walk away instead of phoning it in or do you owe your teammates to phone it in because you phoning it in is better than the backup at full caliber.

I was listening to the radio broadcast of the game on the way home from the game, and they interviewed the Saint's O-line coach. According to him, they told Olin that he would be the back-up this week and he promptly walked out of the facility and the team.

According to the Saints, he quit on them, and his agent is spinning it as "he wasn't feeling it."

He's free to do what he wants.

However, I think his ego led him to make a poor decision. Even if you're a backup, you remain a valuable contributor to the team. Besides, when it comes to lines, is there really such a thing as backups when you've got all sorts of rotations and the likelihood of injuries?

You don't take your ball and go home at the first moment you disagree with management. I don't like when anybody does that. Makes you look small.

I was listening to the radio broadcast of the game on the way home from the game, and they interviewed the Saint's O-line coach. According to him, they told Olin that he would be the back-up this week and he promptly walked out of the facility and the team.

According to the Saints, he quit on them, and his agent is spinning it as "he wasn't feeling it."

I'd heard this to but am not yet treating it as a known fact.

However here are some known facts:

Kreutz wanted to stay in Chicago.

The Bears offered him a 1-year, $4 million deal.

Kreutz thought he was worth more than that and turned down the offer.

He then signed with the Saints for less… 1-year, $2 million with another $2 million in incentives… probably based on playing time.

As for an opinion, Kreutz has had a great career (6 Pro Bowls, 4 All-Pros, NFL All-Decade Team) and it's too bad that he couldn't play the good soldier for 3 more months.

However you cut it up, he DID quit on his team. The Saints currently have an undrafted, 25-year old guard playing center who I'm sure would have greatly appreciated Kreutz supporting him with his experience and professionalism.

For those lauding Kreutz for his integrity (for not mailing it in just to collect a paycheck) there are lots of players in the NFL who are in it solely for the money and do not play football for any other reason. However the bottom line is that if Kreutz is a better reserve center than anyone else available, I'm sure the team and his teammates would be happy that he "mail it in" and take up a roster spot as a reserve.

The Saints still have a roster to fill and a mission for the season.

What if there's an injury on the O-line and Kreutz is needed to help preserve New Orleans' championship aspirations?

I don't like that Kreutz quit on his obligations… especially when those obligations were very short termed.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan