Olin Kreutz

Buftex

Way to quit on your team half way through the year.....play your a$$ off for a few more months and then retire. That's just what I would do though. He owes it to his teammates if you ask me.

Agreed, but if he just isn't willing to give it his all anymore, retiring is the more noble move than going through the motions. Now the position can go to somebody (theoretically) more eager to play.

Edited by SageAgainstTheMachine

Way to quit on your team half way through the year.....play your a$$ off for a few more months and then retire. That's just what I would do though. He owes it to his teammates if you ask me.

Agreed, but if he just isn't willing to give it his all anymore, retiring is the more noble move than going through the motions. Now the position can go to somebody (theoretically) more eager to play.

My first thought is that you never know what is happening in a person's life. He may have very serious private reasons for wanting to leave football. It does leave his team in a tough spot but my 'gut' (as worthless as that is) tells me there may be a lot more to this story. Who knows???

My first thought is that you never know what is happening in a person's life. He may have very serious private reasons for wanting to leave football. It does leave his team in a tough spot but my 'gut' (as worthless as that is) tells me there may be a lot more to this story. Who knows???

Same here. I am guessing family issues and I wish him well.

From the sounds of it, the guy was devastated that he wasn't playing in Chicago any more. He was a Bear for 13 years, and never envisioned playing anywhere else. For some reason, I had this strange feeling (only a feeling, not based on anything I know) that Lee Evans is going through something similar.

Regardless, if you don't want to play anymore, I would guess, you are hurting the team more than anything. Kreutz did say that he didn't want to "collect a paycheck if his heart wasn't anymore". The Saints are not obligated to pay him any guranteed money.

Edited by Buftex

Way to quit on your team half way through the year.....play your a$ off for a few more months and then retire. That's just what I would do though. He owes it to his teammates if you ask me.

What he owes to his teammates is honesty. He's doing them a lot more wrong if he just goes through the motions and picks up a game check every week. If your heart's not in it, stepping aside and letting a younger, hungrier man take over is the right thing to do.

I agree 14 years is a long time to play Pro Football add his high school college and Pop Warner type football and your getting close to 25+ years of the game. We don't know how he is physically. Perhaps he the Kent Hull situation struck a cord with him. The longevity issues in football are of great concern to me. I think the league has to address it some way. Perhaps the NFL career should be shorter especially for Linemen and front seven guys.

We Live in a time when many people are living into their 80's and 90;s with good health and at the same time ex NFL players are dying in their 50's. There is something seriously wrong here.

+1 always more to the story... Olin has been a great player for more than a decade, I doubt he would just walk away for no reason

What he owes to his teammates is honesty. He's doing them a lot more wrong if he just goes through the motions and picks up a game check every week. If your heart's not in it, stepping aside and letting a younger, hungrier man take over is the right thing to do.

On this point I may disagree- I'll take talent over hunger. That said though, Olin was about to get benched. He was also injured.

Might have been nice to tell the team earlier in the thought process- maybe they wouldve pursued an OL player at the trade deadline. Might not have either. Just a courtesy thing in my head, with the deadline passing a few days ago, and a game coming in 2 days. Monday/Tuesday might have been nice.

I agree 14 years is a long time to play Pro Football add his high school college and Pop Warner type football and your getting close to 25+ years of the game. We don't know how he is physically. Perhaps he the Kent Hull situation struck a cord with him. The longevity issues in football are of great concern to me. I think the league has to address it some way. Perhaps the NFL career should be shorter especially for Linemen and front seven guys.

We Live in a time when many people are living into their 80's and 90;s with good health and at the same time ex NFL players are dying in their 50's. There is something seriously wrong here.

Big time Bingo. Center to Center? Probably. Nice observasion.