This Stinks

3rdnlng

Oh come on. There have to be several places that someone can go in their community and get free diapers that I, as someone who never bought a diaper in my life and never will, won't have to pay for.

Or, they could reduce diaper costs by 95% by using cloth diapers, just like everyone did 40 years ago. But I guess that would be an insult to the 'dignity' of people who need the government to give them free diapers.

Edited by KD in CT

Or, they could reduce diaper costs by 95% by using cloth diapers, just like everyone did 40 years ago. But I guess that would be an insult to the 'dignity' of people who need the government to give them free diapers.

Or save a 100% and chain their kids to a tree in the backyard like my mother did.

That's kind of what Cain and the flat-taxers are driving at - treat all income the same. Though Cain's coming at it from a different angle with employing a VAT.

At least on the surface, there is a fair amount of support for a system allowing no tax deductions and having all income - including corporate and investment income taxed at an equal rate across the board. It would certainly make a crisis of sorts in the H&R Block and IRS circles.

Here's why the 9-9-9 will never work. By introducing any kind of flat tax you'd be lowering (for the most part) the federal income taxes of the wealthy and increasing the taxes of those paying less than 9% federal income taxes today (50% of the population). All the opponent has to say "so Mr Cain what your saying is you're for lowering the taxes for the rich and raising the taxes on the poor." And seeing Republicans and Tea Partiers are against raising ANY taxes, how can they justify raising taxes on the poor or anyone? That won't go over real well during the general election.

Or save a 100% and chain their kids to a tree in the backyard like my mother did.

Here's why the 9-9-9 will never work. By introducing any kind of flat tax you'd be lowering (for the most part) the federal income taxes of the wealthy and increasing the taxes of those paying less than 9% federal income taxes today (50% of the population). All the opponent has to say "so Mr Cain what your saying is you're for lowering the taxes for the rich and raising the taxes on the poor." And seeing Republicans and Tea Partiers are against raising ANY taxes, how can they justify raising taxes on the poor or anyone? That won't go over real well during the general election.

This is the way to go:

http://www.fairtax.org/site/PageServer?pagename=about_faq_answers

:w00t:

True.

This is the way to go:

http://www.fairtax.o...out_faq_answers

This would be good. Getting there - like Chef said above, will be tough sledding.

Edited by Nanker

True.

This would be good. Getting there - like Chef said above, will be tough sledding.

There's an avenue to eliminate any regressiveness with the prebate. But the Fair Tax absolutely can't be a VAT so that the pols can't hide taxes.

There's an avenue to eliminate any regressiveness with the prebate. But the Fair Tax absolutely can't be a VAT so that the pols can't hide taxes.

Though to examine the VAT by itself - if it were to eliminate the income tax and it applied equally to everyone and nearly everything (excluding food - perhaps, and just for the sake of discussion) then everyone would know exactly how much everyone was paying in taxes. And, the pols would have a very hard time making the rate go higher. In time, that could be as politically suicidal as say pulling the plug on grandma and forcing preteens to pay for their own birth control medicine.

Anyway, probably will never happen. It would take a courageous leader to make either of these changes (VAT/Flat).

Cain deserves a hat tip for at least bringing a serious alternative to the debates. I care to see no more of Perry's tin horn bravado and Santorum's posturing on the need for the US armed forces to be the world's police force.

It wouldn't matter. Even if he got elected, it would never pass Congress, which is why the congressional elections are so much more important than the presidential election.

Though to examine the VAT by itself - if it were to eliminate the income tax and it applied equally to everyone and nearly everything (excluding food - perhaps, and just for the sake of discussion) then everyone would know exactly how much everyone was paying in taxes. And, the pols would have a very hard time making the rate go higher. In time, that could be as politically suicidal as say pulling the plug on grandma and forcing preteens to pay for their own birth control medicine.

Anyway, probably will never happen. It would take a courageous leader to make either of these changes (VAT/Flat).

Cain deserves a hat tip for at least bringing a serious alternative to the debates. I care to see no more of Perry's tin horn bravado and Santorum's posturing on the need for the US armed forces to be the world's police force.

A VAT is a tax at every level of value change. Think of a raw ingredient being taxed several times as it changes form and then finally being taxed at retail. Too many steps to hide the tax. Fair Tax = one transparent sales tax.