Bryant Gumble using the Race card.......again.

erynthered

What an idiot. Gotta laugh at his remarks on the Winter Olympics. The shortage of black lugers, bobsledders, speed skaters, skiers and figure skaters can only be due to racism. And then politicizing the already astoundingly stupid comment puts it right over the top.

Sounds like someone is over compensating for that voice of his which sounds remarkably, well, white. Not sure if coming off like an idiot is the best way to go about asserting his black identity, though.

What an idiot. Gotta laugh at his remarks on the Winter Olympics. The shortage of black lugers, bobsledders, speed skaters, skiers and figure skaters can only be due to racism. And then politicizing the already astoundingly stupid comment puts it right over the top.

Sounds like someone is over compensating for that voice of his which sounds remarkably, well, white. Not sure if coming off like an idiot is the best way to go about asserting his black identity, though.

Don't be so naive. There have been hundreds of Scandinavian ski jump medalists and none of those Scandinavians have been African American. That's a coincidence?

Edited by SageAgainstTheMachine

It reminds me of the Superstar Competition on ABC when I was a kid. Athletes would compete in events other than what they were good at. I remember the swimming competition with Joe Frazier. I thought he was going to drown.

Edited by Chef Jim

No, no, no, Bryant, you've got it all wrong. The problem isn't race. It's competition. If we just grant everyone a spot in the Olympics for just trying, and then give them all gold medals for showing up, then no one's discriminated against.

It reminds me of the Superstar Competition on ABC when I was a kid. Athletes would compete in events other than what they were good at. I remember the swimming competition with Joe Frazier. I thought he was going to drown.

Floats like a cinder block, stings like a bee. Never seen someone dog paddle in a swim match before. :lol:

Floats like a cinder block, stings like a bee. Never seen someone dog paddle in a swim match before. :lol:

That was nearly 40 years ago but I remember it like yesterday. I was 12 years old and I felt so sorry for Frazier I almost cried. :lol:

"Down goes Frazier, down goes Frazier, down...down....down....down......"

Edited by Chef Jim

Who's Bryant Gumble?

Exactly. Remember when he was the star and Katie Couric was the side-kick? Neither does anyone else. Too bad Gumble doesn't post on PPP --- he'd be a great counterbalance to DaveinElma.

It's interesting that Bryant Gumbel lives in Jupiter, FL (94.86% white).

Maybe his white wife insisted on it.

Wow - Peter Revson. I just was thinking about him this week when Wheldon died. I was thinking he's probably the most famous Indy Car driver to die in a crash.

HBO doesn't fire people for saying controversial things, it encourages it.

I really like Gumbles' show on HBO, but he is an idiot. Of all the people to attack, on this issue, David Stern? Really? :thumbdown: What a jack-ass. There may be nobody in modern sports who has done more to break down racial barriers than Stern. I have problems with Stern at times, but being a racist isn't one of them.

HBO doesn't fire people for saying controversial things, it encourages it.

I really like Gumbles' show on HBO, but he is an idiot. Of all the people to attack, on this issue, David Stern? Really? :thumbdown: What a jack-ass. There may be nobody in modern sports who has done more to break down racial barriers than Stern. I have problems with Stern at times, but being a racist isn't one of them.

After all these years, we finally agree on something. :D:beer:

Dude - everyone knows luge is racist. How many times have you passed a local luge track and seen the sign "No Coloreds Allowed" - it so blatent! That's the reason I didn't sign my kids up for little league luge - I don't want to be a party to stuff like that.

I like the 2nd heat when Johnny Bench alternates between crawl stroke, back stroke, and running along the bottom of the pool. That was a GREAT show. :lol:

It's interesting that Bryant Gumbel lives in Jupiter, FL (94.86% white).

I also find it interesting that its passable to question the validity of an organization based on its racial representation... as long as the people are all white. I can only imagine the backlash if the roles were reversed.

Dude - everyone knows luge is racist. How many times have you passed a local luge track and seen the sign "No Coloreds Allowed" - it so blatent! That's the reason I didn't sign my kids up for little league luge - I don't want to be a party to stuff like that.

Not mine. But they do have separate "white" and "colored" runs.