Anyone see the end of the Cowboys game?

I see all the comments about how the Bills should have run the ball more at the end. The Cowboys must read TBD because that's exactly what they did with 4 minutes left and a 3 point lead. No brainer, right? Football 101, right? How did that work out?

PTR

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was so angry about this final score. It was my consolation for the Bills game- "at least we're still on top of the division." Heck, I was already thinking, "Hey, if we won this game, we could of been a game ahead in the division."

But, back to your point, it obviously didn't work out well. The Cowboys' offense has really been underwhelming, and one of the reasons for that is their recent fear of putting the game in Romo's hands because of his blunders of late.

I was so angry about this final score. It was my consolation for the Bills game- "at least we're still on top of the division." Heck, I was already thinking, "Hey, if we won this game, we could of been a game ahead in the division."

But, back to your point, it obviously didn't work out well. The Cowboys' offense has really been underwhelming, and one of the reasons for that is their recent fear of putting the game in Romo's hands because of his blunders of late.

But the Cowboys did EXACTLY what everyone here says the Bills should have done, and they wound up giving the ball back to Brady with plenty of time to win that game. So maybe getting conservative against a team with a high powered offense is not such a bad strategy, even if you screw it up?

PTR

Umm not hurt your point but Eli Manning IS NOT anywhere near the same caliber QB as Brady. You throw in the cowboy situation to keep Brady off the field just like the bills took a knee before they kicked the FG to win.

With Eli you MAKE him beat you, I doubt few thought Brady wasnt going to at least get a FG w the amount time left if not the TD.

But the Cowboys did EXACTLY what everyone here says the Bills should have done, and they wound up giving the ball back to Brady with plenty of time to win that game. So maybe getting conservative against a team with a high powered offense is not such a bad strategy, even if you screw it up?

PTR

Again, field position is the main difference between the two cases.

I see all the comments about how the Bills should have run the ball more at the end. The Cowboys must read TBD because that's exactly what they did with 4 minutes left and a 3 point lead. No brainer, right? Football 101, right? How did that work out?

PTR

The irony is that when you follow what some would call conventional wisdom, you fall into what is predictable. The announcers even stated that the defenses conventional wisdom is to load up on stuffing the run and playing man coverage on the outside. JG had no faith in Romo, and thus, in his own way (based on fear mind you), forfeited the game by running the ball in a situation that all NFL defenses prepare for in a similar fashion. Some people apparently would prefer a Steve Fairchild approach. I don't see the logic in doing what the defense is obviously prepared to stop. Fitz throws a proper pass in that situation, everything changes from that point moving forward. It was a terrible pass both times. Excluding the 80 yarder, #22 was shut down.

PTR

I did not mind the playcall. Bottomline is if Fitz makes a good throw it is a TD. Johnson had his man beat.

Anybody that has been watching the NFL for the last 10 years or so knew dam well Brady & NE were going to score a TD to win the game as soon as Dallas had to settle for a FG. I don't care how bad there offense looked prior to that.

PTR

Not the same thing, Promo.

The difference in both of these games is that the Bills abandoned the running game early in the second half. I'm not saying that we should have run on every offensive play, but we relied too much on the passing game.

What the Cowboys did was foolish because New England's secondary is suspect and can be exploited. The Cowboys passing game is better than their running game, and instead of going for the kill, they tried running the clock out on them and if that failed left it up to their defense. Stupid move.

For the record, the Cowboys didn't run the ball once when it was 1st and Goal. Here is the play-by-play:

1st and 10 at NE 10 T.Romo pass short left to M.Bennett to NE 5 for 5 yards (A.Carter, J.Ihedigbo). DAL-B.Nagy was injured during the play.

2nd and 5 at NE 5 (Shotgun) T.Romo pass incomplete short left to T.Choice.

3rd and 5 at NE 5 (Shotgun) T.Romo pass short middle to T.Choice to NE 8 for -3 yards (B.Spikes). shovel pass

Three passes. All of which were high percentage. They may have been cute, but they were high percentage.

I understand what you are saying. But think it is a little aplles and oranges.

I mean you are comparing Tom Brady and the NE O to Eli Manning and NYG O.

Gailey played much more aggresive against NE for a reason. Dont think he necessarily needed to take that same aggresive approach playing NYG

Yep. Field position was also a pretty big factor

PTR

Point very well made, PTR. :thumbsup:

I still hated the call. :nana:

I never said I was logical.

The difference in both of these games is that the Bills abandoned the running game early in the second half. I'm not saying that we should have run on every offensive play, but we relied too much on the passing game.

What the Cowboys did was foolish because New England's secondary is suspect and can be exploited. The Cowboys passing game is better than their running game, and instead of going for the kill, they tried running the clock out on them and if that failed left it up to their defense. Stupid move.

The Bills didn't "abandon" the run game. The Giants stuffed our running game after getting gashed for 80 one time. If we ran three straight run plays we would have had little or no gain and been left with a 40 yd FG attempt on a day where winds were gusting. Did you see how much Lindell's other FG was moving in the wind? A FG from that far was no gimme yesterday.

PTR

Vader the Pats D played well yesterday, even w 4 TO they only gave up 16 points, meanwhile the Pats O was sputtering. (but shot itself in the foot alot)

That and well Romo scary bad when he has to perform... All said they needed to air it out to win the game.

The Bills didn't "abandon" the run game. The Giants stuffed our running game after getting gashed for 80 one time. If we ran three straight run plays we would have had little or no gain and been left with a 40 yd FG attempt on a day where winds were gusting. Did you see how much Lindell's other FG was moving in the wind? A FG from that far was no gimme yesterday.

PTR

only 21 "called" running plays.

As for the gusting winds, wouldn't that make a 25-yard pass a bit risky?

Vader the Pats D played well yesterday, even w 4 TO they only gave up 16 points, meanwhile the Pats O was sputtering. (but shot itself in the foot alot)

That and well Romo scary bad when he has to perform... All said they needed to air it out to win the game.

In that specific situation, however, the Cowboys passing game is stronger than their running game. Yes it would have been riskier to pass, but the Cowboys needed to play to their strengths and they didn't.

Yep. Field position was also a pretty big factor

What everyone is missing is that when it was tied 13-13 in the 4th quarter, the Cowboys played very conservatively in the red zone and settled for a FG. They did a shovel pass on 3rd and goal from the 8 despite the fact that the Pats had single coverage on Des Bryant. Jerry Jones was just as upset about that. That's the sort of playcalling that one can accurately call "playing not to lose."

In that specific situation, however, the Cowboys passing game is stronger than their running game. Yes it would have been riskier to pass, but the Cowboys needed to play to their strengths and they didn't.

Called habing a so so QB under center Vader and on 3rd and 18 just asking for him screw it up.