Are defenses starting to catch up to offenses?

Rubes

Scoring was down considerably this week, or so it seems. Only two teams (thus far) scored more than 30 points...Atlanta and Chicago (of all teams).

Final scores all around looked much lower than they have been this season. Green Bay dominated but scored only 24. The Patriots had their 30+ point scoring streak stopped. Hell, even we managed to keep a team under 30 points (for the first time?).

Is it defenses finally catching up to offenses? Or is it more likely injuries starting to take their toll?

Aside from the obvious snafus that have been discussed ad nauseum, I think our offense had a pretty good day, all things considered. I certainly have concerns about our offense, but it's not like the rest of the league isn't having similar issues...

Yeah, to steal a quote from someone here, the league's scoring rate from the first few weeks of the season was unsustainable. Defenses were bound to close the gap a bit as the season progressed.

Here's my take on the old theory about "defenses are ahead of the offenses at the beginning of the season." I believe the theory was pretty much true but should've been amended to "the unit that the NFL rules favor is ahead of the unit that the NFL rules don't favor." For much of its history, NFL rules favored defenses. Somewhere in the past decade, that flipped. So, now given less prep time (early in the season, lockout, etc) offenses hold the major advantage.

Gailey has given us an edge by pulling strange things out for the offense. We run 5 receiver wide formations. We do a lot of screens as a substitue for running plays. We bring Brad Smith in for a couple of plays every game. We run plays to set up other plays. (They faked a lot of double reverses yesterday- some week they will do the double reverse, and it will come as a surprise). The other teams will study the film and make counter measures. (Remember Trent Edwards look like a real winner for 5 games until other teams realized that he would not throw the long ball and he was easy to scare into check-down passes). What I saw in the giants game is that they were stacking the box to protect against Fitz's short&medium passing game and Freddie's running. Gailey countered by taking some deep shots late against single coverage (it hurt not to have Jones and Roscoe) and spreading the field horizontally with 5 wideouts.

Expect the chess game to continue in the next game. I think Gailey is planning ahead and has anticipated counters against the next team's likely scheme. Also, some plays this week are there to set up surprises in the future. :thumbsup: