Pre-game BS!!!

ajzepp

My in-week reading and pre-game viewing has all but ended.

Never thought I'd've said that 10 years ago but there it is. (Not having to listen to marblemouth Shannon Sharpe instantly makes Sundays 164% better.)

As The King sang, "A little less conversation, a little more action!"

I still read to get information but you won't find me watching drivel on TV… most of what an athlete says in an interview is stuff you could predict before it comes out of their mouths.

But I wouldn't watch NFL coverage if they went all WWE either… the players, the coaches OR the studio guys. You won't make me watch jocks and ex-jocks trying to use the english language abetted by their broadcasting school interpreters just like I wouldn't waste my time watching Nobel Laureates trying to play professional football.

As far as players/coaches being more honest in their interviews, I'm NOT a fan of trash talking and to AJ, coachspeak was around long before "PC" became a catchphrase for everything spoken or written that bores us.

I don't watch the NFL talking heads. Talk about banal. And their "jock-ularity" is offensive. I cannot watch their insipid "thinsights" and staged debates. The worst is when these guys grab a football and line up to demonstrate some sort of technique. That's what video cutups are for. Sit down, you look like a fool… exhibit some knowledge for a change. I know what inside leverage is… I played backyard football. It's not rocket science and you're wearing a suit. Sit down and try to articulate one intelligent thought. Please.

I you want something more real, I would recommend watching post game stuff, coaches press conferences, etc. These tend to be a bit more unguarded and often infused with actual human emotion.

But trash talk is just as boring and offensive to me as milquetoast sound bites. Any moron can do either.

The thing that redeems any comments are intelligence, not whether a person is being polite or not.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

I still read to get information but you won't find me watching drivel on TV… most of what an athlete says in an interview is stuff you could predict before it comes out of their mouths.

But I wouldn't watch NFL coverage if they went all WWE either… the players, the coaches OR the studio guys. You won't make me watch jocks and ex-jocks trying to use the english language abetted by their broadcasting school interpreters just like I wouldn't waste my time watching Nobel Laureates trying to play professional football.

As far as players/coaches being more honest in their interviews, I'm NOT a fan of trash talking and to AJ, coachspeak was around long before "PC" became a catchphrase for everything spoken or written that bores us.

I don't watch the NFL talking heads. Talk about banal. And their "jock-ularity" is offensive. I cannot watch their insipid "thinsights" and staged debates. The worst is when these guys grab a football and line up to demonstrate some sort of technique. That's what video cutups are for. Sit down, you look like a fool… exhibit some knowledge for a change. I know what inside leverage is… I played backyard football. It's not rocket science and you're wearing a suit. Sit down and try to articulate one intelligent thought. Please.

I you want something more real, I would recommend watching post game stuff, coaches press conferences, etc. These tend to be a bit more unguarded and often infused with actual human emotion.

But trash talk is just as boring and offensive to me as milquetoast sound bites. Any moron can do either.

The thing that redeems any comments are intelligence, not whether a person is being polite or not.

Point(s) taken...I don't want the NFL to resemble the WWE either. Maybe what it is that I'm looking for is more CANDOR.

Point(s) taken...I don't want the NFL to resemble the WWE either. Maybe what it is that I'm looking for is more CANDOR.

Hey, yo.

Let me tell you something, brah. The NFL could use a lot more WWE, if you will. Woo Woo Woo, you know it.

Hey, yo.

Let me tell you something, brah. The NFL could use a lot more WWE, if you will. Woo Woo Woo, you know it.

You smell what the Ralph is cookin'?

I agree with you, AJ.

I also wish (this is in the "my perfect world scenario") that jocks, ex-jocks, and their broadcast major interpreters didn't default to the same stupid language over and over.

It would be nice to hear one original thought per 10 interviews instead of one per 100 interviews.

But like I tried expressing earlier, these guys are athletes, not orators.

Ultimately it's enough to watch these unbelievable athletes ply their trade.

I agree with you, AJ.

I also wish (this is in the "my perfect world scenario") that jocks, ex-jocks, and their broadcast major interpreters didn't default to the same stupid language over and over.

It would be nice to hear one original thought per 10 interviews instead of one per 100 interviews.

Heck yeah, nothing can change the fact that it's amazing to watch just the pure sport itself...and it's probably good that the banter before the games is repetitive and predictable...I've got better things to do with my day lol.

I agree with you, AJ.

Its easy to forget that these athletes have microphones shoved in their faces perpetually. These sports cliches came about because they're pretty much answering the same questions over and over.

Its easy to forget that these athletes have microphones shoved in their faces perpetually. These sports cliches came about because they're pretty much answering the same questions over and over.

True. I've interviewed many athletes and coaches and it's like a switch goes on… or off… when that mike is put in front of them.