How much do you tip??

erynthered

No, a mandatory 25% is crazy. :thumbdown:

I feel the same way. Yet, how do they get away with mandatory tipping when it comes to large parties of people? Don't they make it mandatory 15% or so???

I usually tip my barber 2 or 3 or 4 dollars, depending on how many ones I have on me.

Which brings us to another point... Shrewd servers never give back 5 dollar bills as change... Always singles.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel the same way. Yet, how do they get away with mandatory tipping when it comes to large parties of people? Don't they make it mandatory 15% or so???

Which brings us to another point... Shrewd servers never give back 5 dollar bills as change... Always singles.

Yes, but keep in mind that may be all that waiter/waitress works for the shift. Hard to convince them to stick around and work for ~two dollars for another hour cleaning up if they get stiffed.

Last point, always make sure the customer has sufficient change to tip you whatever. Do not inundate him in dollar bills though.

Last point, always make sure the customer has sufficient change to tip you whatever. Do not inundate him in dollar bills though.

I hate that it's so obvious. Don't give me a bunch of singles just so I can give them back to you.

There's a big difference between company policy and city law. The reason they add the tip to big parties because when several people dine together sometimes they just put in enough money to cover what they ate forgetting the tip. This way it gets covered.

And let me say this. Servers wanting to force me to tip them a certain amount can suck my balls. If they pass this at least force them to pay taxes on the full 25%.

Another thing I try to do is tip on freebies. There are a couple of places we go where we're regulars. I'll typically have three drinks and she'll only charge me for one. Another place we go we tend to get some free appetizers or dessert. It's good to be or have been in the business. :thumbsup:

I'm pretty much a 20% tipper, though if the service and meal is great I'll go up to 25 or 30%

If the service is ok and the meal was so-so, I'll tip around 15%. Of course if the meal is crappy I'll speak to the manager. If the meal was great and the service sucked, I'll tip a low %

This article says that in San Fran they want a manditory 25% put on your Bill. I do not support this.

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2011/10/13/san-francisco-restaurants-want-to-make-25-standard-tip-rate/

Thoughts?

I usually tip ~20%, unless it's a cheap meal like at a diner. Then I tip more.

If it's a pricy restaurant, and I'm dropping a couple of hundred on din, I tip around 18%

I do NOT support a manadatory 25% tip. That's ridiculous.

I usually tip ~20%, unless it's a cheap meal like at a diner. Then I tip more.

Amen to that! On the rare occasion that I will hit up a Waffle House down here in the ATL for an omelette and some hash browns (scattered, smothered, covered, and chunked baby!), I like to leave like a five dollar tip (on a bill of like $10-12) just to see the reaction of the waitress after I leave. These people are not paid well at all and they work like dogs in these places, so it's fun to give them a little extra cause I know how much it means to them.

I tip the square root of the total bill, plus a dollar, rounded up to the nearest whole dollar. If there's anything even vaguely resembling a "gratuity" on the check, I tip nothing.

And the argument in SF for 25% probably has something to do with not being able to hide any of the tips from the tax authorities...so rather than the 18-10% they'd usually ask for, the city council upped it to cover the servers' taxes.

Amen to that! On the rare occasion that I will hit up a Waffle House down here in the ATL for an omelette and some hash browns (scattered, smothered, covered, and chunked baby!), I like to leave like a five dollar tip (on a bill of like $10-12) just to see the reaction of the waitress after I leave. These people are not paid well at all and they work like dogs in these places, so it's fun to give them a little extra cause I know how much it means to them.

I like your thinking AJ. It's great to help make someone's day if they've earned it. I generally leave a 15 to 20% tip. If the service is exceptional then it's 25%+.

I tip the square root of the total bill, plus a dollar, rounded up to the nearest whole dollar. If there's anything even vaguely resembling a "gratuity" on the check, I tip nothing.

May the gods help any competent server if your bill is high. You cheap bastard :-p

I'm an obnoxious over tipper. If I have a $60 meal, almost always $20 dollar tip unless you really !@#$ed something up. If you refill my drink before I'm finished with the last, add another $5 for sure. If our server has really nice cans and she's letting me get a nice look at them at another $5. :-)

I'm pretty standard 20%, if I'm just drinking, $1 a beer...anything under $15-20 gets $5...favorite takeout places 10-15%. And I always tip on total bill and pre-discount if using a groupon or living social. Hookers get different amounts depending in services rendered