How much do you tip??

erynthered

I'm not sure why anyone would have a problem with this. As someone whose company does a lot of business/travel in San Francisco, I can affirm it is one of the absolutely cheapest places to do work. It doesn't matter where you are in the city. Food is cheap. Lodging is cheap. Parking is free and never a problem. Renting cars at SFO is cheap. And that's important because it allows me to keep my costs down when I dispatch workers to jobsites there.

Making people add 25% tip to an already cheap trip is nominal and should be widely accepted by everyone.

Cheap? Maybe compared to LA!!

Seriously, I've only been to San Fran once, and can't remember the costs. I'm kind of shocked by what you said, including that parking is free...

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure why anyone would have a problem with this. As someone whose company does a lot of business/travel in San Francisco, I can affirm it is one of the absolutely cheapest places to do work. It doesn't matter where you are in the city. Food is cheap. Lodging is cheap. Parking is free and never a problem. Renting cars at SFO is cheap. And that's important because it allows me to keep my costs down when I dispatch workers to jobsites there.

Making people add 25% tip to an already cheap trip is nominal and should be widely accepted by everyone.

:lol:

Nice job! You had me going for about 0.5 seconds there...

I'm pretty much a 20% tipper, though if the service and meal is great I'll go up to 25 or 30%

If the service is ok and the meal was so-so, I'll tip around 15%. Of course if the meal is crappy I'll speak to the manager. If the meal was great and the service sucked, I'll tip a low %

This article says that in San Fran they want a manditory 25% put on your Bill. I do not support this.

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2011/10/13/san-francisco-restaurants-want-to-make-25-standard-tip-rate/

Thoughts?

Im about the same. Divide by 5 and get 20%. If the service was great, they get a little more. If it was meh, a little less. If it's horrible, and I mean HORRIBLE, I've been known to just leave the change to get to the next dollar (leaving $.56 on a $23.44 bill for example). But that has only happened twice in my life.

Cant wait to see what this thread turns into, like the past tipping threads... :thumbsup:

edit: I completely disagree with the automatic 25% being added by the restaurant. Unless it was a big party.

Edited by DrDareustein

I tip 10% if the service is just average. If it's good I tip 15% and if the waiter/waitress just blew me away with good service I'll go to 20 to 25% tip. Last time I tipped that high was last mother's day at a great restaurant. The service was the best I ever had and I tipped over 25%.

I worked as a server for four years, so I tend to tip pretty well. I also always monitor how my friends/family tip whenever we are out eating together. When the server comes to refill my glass without me having to ask, I tip even better...I usually drink a lot with my meals, sand I hate having to flag someone down for a refill.

I also tip on take out, especially places I tend to frequent. Not quite as much as crayonz, but throwing a few bucks their way seems to make sure subsequent orders are hot and ready to go in a timely manner.

I think people who make a big deal about tipping are cheap sumsumbitches who should stay home. An extra buck here and there isn't going to hurt you either way.

I almost always tip 20% for most places, much more at bars (especially when I know bartenders or for very good service or hot barmaids ;) ).

The only problem i have is tipping more than a couple bucks at a valet just because they charge you $6-20 instead of $3-4 or it being free. I still only give them a couple bucks. Pet peeve I guess.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

I'm in the 20% camp. I'm usually pretty generous and round up most tips. I've only ever tipped poorly 2-3 times and I can remember those occasions. The absolute worse time was when I went out to lunch with a couple friends. We ordered our food and my friend and I ordered a soda, while my other friend didn't, he just wanted a water. Long story short, our bill comes and the waitress charged us for 3 sodas. When ask why she did that she says "Well I knew you were all just gonna share the soda." I was dumbfounded that she admitted to that. My friend obviously now wanted the soda that he was being charged for. We had her fill up all our drinks, left the money for the bill and then each left 1 cent in front or our drinks. Three cent tip, worse I've ever given.

In a restaurant, if the service good, 20%. If the service is lousy, 10%-15%. If the service is really friggin' lousy, perhaps no tip or round up to the next dollar, like Dr. D does.

I usually tip my barber 2 or 3 or 4 dollars, depending on how many ones I have on me.

Pizza and Chinese take-out delivery guys get 3-5 bucks (delivery is free from my favorite places here).

What the hell is a tip?

SiC? That you?

If I'm being a stickler I try to only tip 15-25% on the food and beverage alone. If you take the total bill and you tip 20% you're also tipping on the tax. And here in SF many restaurants also add a 4% fee for the "Healthy SF" initiative so you're tipping on top of that too. And the automatic 25% tip will never fly here. If it does I will never eat in the city again.

I almost always tip $20 for most places, much more at bars (especially when I know bartenders or for very good service or hot barmaids ;) ).

The only problem i have is tipping more than a couple bucks at a valet just because they charge you $6-20 instead of $3-4 or it being free. I still only give them a couple bucks. Pet peeve I guess.

20% or $20?

If I'm being a stickler I try to only tip 15-25% on the food and beverage alone. If you take the total bill and you tip 20% you're also tipping on the tax. And here in SF many restaurants also add a 4% fee for the "Healthy SF" initiative so you're tipping on top of that too. And the automatic 25% tip will never fly here. If it does I will never eat in the city again.

20% or $20?

Oops. %, will change it.

I tip 20% on the total bill, so i guess it's more than 20%. Like you, I worked a lot of years in restaurant business when I was younger so I tip more just because of that.

Oops. %, will change it.

I tip 20% on the total bill, so i guess it's more than 20%. Like you, I worked a lot of years in restaurant business when I was younger so I tip more just because of that.

That's what I thought. Just checking because if it was $20 I was moving back south and getting a bartending job by your place. :)