How much do you tip??

erynthered

I'm pretty much a 20% tipper, though if the service and meal is great I'll go up to 25 or 30%

If the service is ok and the meal was so-so, I'll tip around 15%. Of course if the meal is crappy I'll speak to the manager. If the meal was great and the service sucked, I'll tip a low %

This article says that in San Fran they want a manditory 25% put on your Bill. I do not support this.

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2011/10/13/san-francisco-restaurants-want-to-make-25-standard-tip-rate/

Thoughts?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty much a 20% tipper, though if the service and meal is great I'll go up to 25 or 30%

If the service is ok and the meal was so-so, I'll tip around 15%. Of course if the meal is crappy I'll speak to the manager. If the meal was great and the service sucked, I'll tip a low %

This article says that in San Fran they want a manditory 25% put on your Bill. I do not support this.

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2011/10/13/san-francisco-restaurants-want-to-make-25-standard-tip-rate/

Thoughts?

I'm the same--15 or 20%.

Here's another wrinkle. My friend said the tip should be based on the pre-tax amount, which would result in a lower tip. I had never heard that, and I always calculate it based on the final, post-tax bill.

If it's on the bill, can you ask them to remove it? When we were in London years ago, everyplace we went had a 10% tip added with the comment that if we didn't want to pay that part, they could remove it.

That said, 25% seems ridiculous to me in 95% of the cases.

i thought double the tax was standard...no??

Boy, I'd hate to be your waiter in New Hampshire. Sales tax rates vary by state, so no, that is not a good standard.

Generally I tip 18%-20% unless someone was very medicore or very good (or very hot).

Here's another wrinkle. My friend said the tip should be based on the pre-tax amount, which would result in a lower tip. I had never heard that, and I always calculate it based on the final, post-tax bill.

Yes, that's accruate. Why would you tip on a tax?

Edited by KD in CT

youtube.com/watch?v=Z-qV9wVGb38

One of my favorite scenes from that movie.

If it's on the bill, can you ask them to remove it? When we were in London years ago, everyplace we went had a 10% tip added with the comment that if we didn't want to pay that part, they could remove it.

It didnt say in that article if they could. Seeing its SF, I doubt it.

I also remember that in England, I think they also do that in France.

What the hell is a tip?

Here's one for you, play the lotto. :nana:

It didnt say in that article if they could. Seeing its SF, I doubt it.

I also remember that in England, I think they also do that in France.

I tried to tip a bartender the first time I was in England many years ago. He told me to pick up my fookin' money.

I bet that's a fun experience when you ask them to remove it.

I'm pretty random when it comes to tipping. I think most of the time that randomness has me over-tipping a bit, but I can live with that. There is one pizza guy around here though that I'll go out of my way to give the smallest tip possible. I ordered a pizza online one day and paid the tip ahead of time on my credit card. They screwed up the order and delivered the wrong pizza. When the guy came back the second time he expected a second tip. He even went as far as to say "what, no tip?". Any time those words are uttered, you might as well kiss that money goodbye. Well, that and refusing to leave until he gets one doesn't go over too well either. I wonder how long he stood outside staring at my door. And yes, I realize the error wasn't his, but there's no way I'm going to pay twice. Luckily the pizza was kind of cold, so I can in fact blame that guy for something.

No way should your bill be automatically marked up 25% for a tip. Tips are supposed to be earned. For example I can't stanfd seeing "tip" jars everywhere now. I don't begrudge anyone money they have earned but you know 90% of this is simply copy cat and a "I'll see what I can get."

I generally tip 20% on the entire bill inclusive of the tax. If the server really has done something special I will go higher especially if it is a place I am likely to return to.

It's sad to see that there is an erosion of the notion of service. I suppose it is two sided because lousy tippers share in the equation.

I bet that's a fun experience when you ask them to remove it.

I'm pretty random when it comes to tipping. I think most of the time that randomness has me over-tipping a bit, but I can live with that. There is one pizza guy around here though that I'll go out of my way to give the smallest tip possible. I ordered a pizza online one day and paid the tip ahead of time on my credit card. They screwed up the order and delivered the wrong pizza. When the guy came back the second time he expected a second tip. He even went as far as to say "what, no tip?". Any time those words are uttered, you might as well kiss that money goodbye. Well, that and refusing to leave until he gets one doesn't go over too well either. I wonder how long he stood outside staring at my door. And yes, I realize the error wasn't his, but there's no way I'm going to pay twice. Luckily the pizza was kind of cold, so I can in fact blame that guy for something.

Yeah, most Pizza places have a delivery charge, plus the driver wants a tip.

I've been going to the same barber for about 20 years. The haircut is 12 bucks, i tip him 3 bucks each time, then in December or near Christmas when I need a cut I'll throw him a 10 spot for a tip.

Yeah, most Pizza places have a delivery charge, plus the driver wants a tip.

I've been going to the same barber for about 20 years. The haircut is 12 bucks, i tip him 3 bucks each time, then in December or near Christmas when I need a cut I'll throw him a 10 spot for a tip.

As to your tipping habits Eryn, :thumbsup:

Pretty good everyone actually.

I tried to tip a bartender the first time I was in England many years ago. He told me to pick up my fookin' money.

General rule of thumb in UK and Ireland..standing at the bar..no tip.

Sitting at a table and someone brings your drink..tip 10%

I am also a 20% tipper on most restuarant tabs, taxi and haircut..still a $2 dollar each way guy for Valet Parking, and about 10% on carryout from a decent place.

$5 for the shoe shine guy at Nordstrom

I leave nothing in tip jars at fast food,sub shops, coffee, and all those type of places.

I also make sure to get my own bags 95% of the time at hotel..hate having to tip the first guy who brings bag to the lobby, and then another guy to bring them to your room..fug it, I will carry them myself. Really only an issue when the kids were smaller, but they are actually useful now and son can roll his own bag and carry the cooler with my six pack in it :thumbsup:

Thoughts?

Exactly how I do it. I was a busboy in college for four years so I learned to appreciate how difficult those type of jobs can be. Tips should be earned and, when they are, I prefer to be generous in those moments.

Edit: Oh...and I thought for sure this was a drinking question re: 'tipping.'

Edited by BillsFanM.D.

I'm not sure why anyone would have a problem with this. As someone whose company does a lot of business/travel in San Francisco, I can affirm it is one of the absolutely cheapest places to do work. It doesn't matter where you are in the city. Food is cheap. Lodging is cheap. Parking is free and never a problem. Renting cars at SFO is cheap. And that's important because it allows me to keep my costs down when I dispatch workers to jobsites there.

Making people add 25% tip to an already cheap trip is nominal and should be widely accepted by everyone.

Usually I give a $1000 plus 19.3% of the bill. At some of the fancier places I have to revise that to make sure I'm giving at least 20%. When I get a coffee at the drive through which is rare, it seems to make their day. Big whoop. $1000.

Edited by ieatcrayonz