OT- Toy Flashback question

theesir

I was watching my 6 year old son playing last night, he was building towers out of anything he could get his hands on and it got me thinking. When I was young, (I am now 35) there were building toys that looked like little metal girders(they were plastic) that you could snap together to build the internal frame of buildings like skyscrapers. Then there were outside pieces that you could put on to make the walls of building.

While there is no way I could get something like this for Chrsitmas, his birthday is in March and I think he would love something like that.

Can anyone remember this and if so, what was it called?

Thanks!

I was watching my 6 year old son playing last night, he was building towers out of anything he could get his hands on and it got me thinking.  When I was young, (I am now 35) there were building toys that looked like little metal girders(they were plastic) that you could snap together to build the internal frame of buildings like skyscrapers. Then there were outside pieces that you could put on to make the walls of building.

While there is no way I could get something like this for Chrsitmas, his birthday is in March and I think he would love something like that.

Thanks!

173071[/snapback]

Not an Erector Set? I remeber having one of those, but do not remember the outside walls piece. Also, remember everyone on the street having a chemistry set. Wonder if they still sell those.

BTW, I have a 5 and 3 year old, and they play with Tinker Toys for hours. They are plastic now, and not to expensive. We only have a a small set, but they really play with that thing for hours. Best toy in our house, especially during a Bills game!

You, sir, are a bastard as that is going to bug me all day now  :blink:

I had them too and it's not k-nex.

173088[/snapback]

I glad at least someone else remembers. Remeber the outside pieces, they were plastic, but looked like panels of glass.

I always wanted these as a kid, but never got them.

Simon, if you remeber, I'm sure someone else will as well and they'll know the name. Then we can all buy some off ebay to bring to the tailgate :blink:

Not an Erector Set? I remeber having one of those, but do not remember the outside walls piece. Also, remember everyone on the street having a chemistry set. Wonder if they still sell those.

BTW, I have a 5 and 3 year old, and they play with Tinker Toys for hours. They are plastic now, and not to expensive. We only have a a small set, but they really play with that thing for hours. Best toy in our house, especially during a Bills game!

173089[/snapback]

Erector was bought by anothe company and did away with the metal toys for a while and just recently brought them back. Tinkertoys and Lincoln logs are nothe plastic now :blink: . My son has these and has kinda outgrown them in terms of their construction capacity.

I was watching my 6 year old son playing last night, he was building towers out of anything he could get his hands on and it got me thinking.  When I was young, (I am now 35) there were building toys that looked like little metal girders(they were plastic) that you could snap together to build the internal frame of buildings like skyscrapers. Then there were outside pieces that you could put on to make the walls of building.

Thanks!

173071[/snapback]

They were called Construx....i remember them very well. I loved those things! Always thought they were more fun than Legos, because you could build much larger things in much less time with them.

Don't know if they are still made or not.

They were called Construx....i remember them very well.  I loved those things!  Always thought they were more fun than Legos, because you could build much larger things in much less time with them.

Don't know if they are still made or not.

173106[/snapback]

Thought this was it, but they are not.

I had that set too.  It was called "Girders & Panels" and was made by Kenner.  I have not ever seen them since, so I assume they are long since discontinued.

173113[/snapback]

After a couple of False alarms, THIS IS IT!!!

http://users.rcn.com/ed.ma.ultranet/gphistory.html

scroll down and you'll find the ones from the 70's.. These are the ones I remember.

Thanks Clayboy! :blink:

I had that set too.  It was called "Girders & Panels" and was made by Kenner.  I have not ever seen them since, so I assume they are long since discontinued.

173113[/snapback]

Yes, that's what I had - kept me entertained for hours on end.

construx were awesome, i still have a ton of them in a box in my parents basement somewhere...it would be great to dig them out again...

as for the chem set...curious 8-10 yr old boys, a chemistry set, and a few neighborhood animals could keep us occupied for hours...:D