Jasper.....any sightings?

On the practice squad is:

69 Jasper, Michael OL 6-4 383 25 R Bethel College (Tenn.)

I first heard about the the man mountain a couple of years ago when trolling a Raiders board. I've found that at::

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=440281.

I think its an interesting story about how the Bills have manage their approach to getting and keeping him. :rolleyes: I think this is what happened. A scout became aware of him and kept an eye on him in Bethel College. Other teams were sniffing around him but pretty much told him they were dismissing him because the insisted that he had to lose 150pounds or so to get a look. The Bills scout kept low key, gave him encouragement on a lesser weigth loss target and became a mentor to a significant degree. He went back to look at him late (and probably quietly) prior to the draft and things looked good.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-2/NT-Jasper-brings-gigantic-intrigue/1441bfd2-c3b5-4aae-a893-c2872093c105

Now I think that the Bills liked him as an offensive lineman more than a nose tackle, and already had Williams and Troup in house, but had lost Butler and Peters in the last couple of years. They drafted him in the 7th round to not risk him to another team as a FA and to earn his additional appreciation and trust. They worked him out in preseason as a NOSE TACKLE, where he didn't show enough right then to make anybody's 53 man roster, and kept him from displaying any abilities in practice or preseason games as an OT. (I think this was a deliberate ploy to help get him thu free agency). He didn't make the 53 man roster and became a free agent. At that point he was available to anybody to sign to their practice squad BUT, the Bills already had his loyalty and attention and his OT capability was undemonstrated to the rest of the league. He signed to the Bills practice squad and nobody can touch him unless they are willing to keep him on their 53 man roster for the year. (Also the Bills can preempt that by signign him themselves to the 53 man roster. In addition, if the other team were to drop him, the Bills have first rights at him). Now we have a year to get this 385-350? pound man mountain ready for offensive tackle for next year. Want to speak about DRIVE BLOCKING?

Anyway, in my opinion the Bills were clever and sneaky in working this guy into our future. :devil: Imagine if we use a high first round on OT next year and bring this guy up and he succeeeds. Ouch!!! :w00t:

Watch this workout.

also see

http://www.wivb.com/dpp/sports/jasper-sizes-up-the-bills

Edited by maryland-bills-fan

Saw him at the game yesterday an I yelled Jasper as loud as I could. He turned around smiled and gave a thumbs up!

I love him and his attitude. Can't wait to see him on the field in a regular game. We are all pulling for you Jasper! :thumbsup:

Saw him at the game yesterday an I yelled Jasper as loud as I could. He turned around smiled and gave a thumbs up!

I posted this question on his Facebook page but he didn't answer. Where do Practice Squad players spend game day? Are they on the sidelines in street clothes? Where did you see Mike?

PTR

Thanks. I think we don't see the Bills in-season practices so Jasper has disappeared into a black hole for the rest of the season. If Inkman has any real information, he should share it rather than just making snide stuck-up comments. At least we put ourselves in a position to develop another big offensive tackle, who seems to have a lot of exceptional physical tools. If it doesn't work, we have wasted a 7th round pick and a PS position for a year or two. If it does, it might be a worth a free top 10 1st round pick.

If Inkman has any real information, he should share it rather than just making snide stuck-up comments.

Only trying to point out 99% of your OP was hashed out in several threads over several months.

I thought the answer was self evident. He's been pretty MIA as he should be for quite a while. He may turn into something but it's going to be a long wait.

Was Marcus Easley there?

Haha didnt see him, but Jasper was really cool we left him alone cause it looked like he was with his mom and maybe his kids (dunno if he has any but there were a few little ones with him) As he walked out we all Wished him luck and he just gave a massive smile and thumbs up! Really pulling for the kid I love what I've read about his attitude hope he finds his way t the starting lineup over the next few years

Edited by Owf71

Still prefer him at NT, it's a waist of his size to put him at guard. Quite honestly I don't think he would be good at hitting players in space on the second level. He just needs some time getting his strength up to match his size and then he would be more effective at nose. A guy his size should be able to bench 700 squat 1100 and deadlift 900.

I haven't been on this board for quite a while, so sorry if this topic has been posted here a bit. I'm hearing that people are impressed by his footwork and lightness on his feet, which implies that it is unusual for big guys >315pounds or so. Therefore his spot might be offensive tackle, where he has to mirror moves by a defensive end. If he can do that, he is not going to be beat by fakes and speed rushes. He has the size to withstand any bull rush or swimm move and the dude has long arms, which means that when he extends them, the DE has to run an extra 2-3 feet to get around him and he can push the guy away and off balance. (look at the bouncing the medicine ball agaisnt the wall(forearem shivers) and throwing the medicine ball into the next zip code (pushing the DE down). I think he would be good at Nose Tackle but would be wasted there. I hope, I hope I hope he turns out!!!