Jairus Byrd's open field tackle

I think it was in the 3rd quarter, on a swing pass to the right flat. Whoever had the ball broke free and it was only Byrd between him and the end zone. About 15 yards separated them and the ball carrier had plenty of time to shuck and jive. Byrd stood his ground and when the guy approached, Byrd shot straight at him and took out him out. It was like a cobra strike. I've never seen a safety standing still take out a guy who had momentum and speed like that.

I think it was in the 3rd quarter, on a swing pass to the right flat. Whoever had the ball broke free and it was only Byrd between him and the end zone. About 15 yards separated them and the ball carrier had plenty of time to shuck and jive. Byrd stood his ground and when the guy approached, Byrd shot straight at him and took out him out. It was like a cobra strike. I've never seen a safety standing still take out a guy who had momentum and speed like that.

I saw that play, and loved it. The announcers were slow to call it a tackle, almost as if they did not believe it. It was like the back ran into a wall.

Even though that play to McCoy gained about 40-50 yds. Everyone at the end when Byrd made that hit just went ohhhhh. What an open field stick that was, even Eagles fans. Ive never heard cheering after the opposing team just gained 50 yards on a play.

My favorite Byrd play of the day was his blitz in which he threw his body into the Philly left tackle and got good enough push to get Vick out of the pocket. Then Byrd spun around and got his arms around Vicks feet and i think Vick turned it into a big play. It was an amazing effort by Byrd though.

Byrd ripping the ball out was what I like seeing. The Bills are starting to look like 2009 Saints, and 2000-2011 Ravens defense in the TAKEAWAY dept. Would love to see them learn to take away one phase of the opponents offense. The ability to shut down the run game would be huge, I know every week we won't be playing Vick, but we need to start holding folks under 100 per game. Shutting down the Gmen would be huge.

Even though that play to McCoy gained about 40-50 yds. Everyone at the end when Byrd made that hit just went ohhhhh. What an open field stick that was, even Eagles fans. Ive never heard cheering after the opposing team just gained 50 yards on a play.

I was sitting with 2 Eagles fans and a Bills fan who brought them to the bar. 'Serious smackdown' is what I heard from them.

It was quite apparent on tv. As you say, he waited for the runner to come to him, rather than go after the runner.

I was thinking that he probably ceded at least 5 yds, maybe 10 yds by not going up to tackle, but figured once you've given up 30 yards or whatever, what's another 10. Best to be sure of the tackle rather than take a chance of missing. Very good tackle.

My favorite Byrd play of the day was his blitz in which he threw his body into the Philly left tackle and got good enough push to get Vick out of the pocket. Then Byrd spun around and got his arms around Vicks feet and i think Vick turned it into a big play. It was an amazing effort by Byrd though.

it was actually the running back that he threw his body into, but yeah, that play was pretty awesome.