The Bills' receiving corps is a mess

Damn - they've been simply slammed by injuries. Jones is apparently going to be out for a while. When Donald Jones went down, so did the Bills' medium-deep to deep passing game. They really had no passing game to speak of late, and the underrated Bengals did a good job of shutting them down too. Gailey is going to have to be extra clever in the coming weeks because he doesn't have anyone who can regularly run by people (Johnson can do it, but only through craftiness - he's not that fast). If I'm game planning against the Bills, I'm taking out Johnson and making Roosevelt/Nelson/whatshisname beat me. The Bills will face a very stiff test next week because the Giants can move the ball very well. I know every team has injuries, but they've really piled up for the Bills in the WR corps. Can Brad Smith actually play wideout? I guess we'll find out soon enough. It may be his turn to be an every-down player ...

Edited by dave mcbride

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn - they've been simply slammed by injuries. Jones is apparently going to be out for a while. When Donald Jones went down, so did the Bills' medium-deep to deep passing game. They really had no passing game to speak of late, and the underrated Bengals did a good job of shutting them down too. Gailey is going to have to be extra clever in the coming weeks because he doesn't have anyone who can regularly run by people (Johnson can do it, but only through craftiness - he's not that fast). If I'm game planning against the Bills, I'm taking out Johnson and making Roosevelt/Nelson/whatshisname beat me. The Bills will face a very stiff test next week because the Giants can move the ball very well. I know every team has injuries, but they've really piled up for the Bills in the WR corps. Can Brad Smith actually play wideout? I guess we'll find out soon enough. It may be his turn to be an every-down player ...

Agreed on all accounts. I think we'll see teams play press/man coverage, and force us to beat them deep.

Guys like Nelson, Roosevelt, Johnson, and Ruvell Martin are not deep threats. Asking Spiller and Brad Smith to be deep threats is too much. Smith doesn't even seem like he knows how to properly run a route.

I think we might see the promotion of Kamar Aiken pretty soon.

It may be time to bring up Kamar Aiken from pS, he showed well in preseason, good size, good hands and has the speed to to get separation, I think he would be more valuable than R. Martin

I agree 100%. Aiken looked much better than Martin did, IMHO, during pre-season. I hope whoever the Bills start is able to get on the same page with Fitz in short practice time. A lot of the passes are timing patterns and this will be vital.

Do we look at whos out there for free agents? I hate to say it but T.O.?

Slam me all you want but i think he might be effective for deep and Medium routs.. I am not a huge fan of his i just dont know who else is out there

We need some depth

Edited by taglientep

Slam me all you want but i think he might be effective for deep and Medium routs.. I am not a huge fan of his i just dont know who else is out there

We need some depth

It's not a horrible idea really...shockingly, him and Fitzpatrick got along great. Both speak of each other in very high praise. He wouldn't disrupt the team because we're winning.

Kamar Aiken caught everything thrown his way in camp and looked good during the preseason. He has that fluidity that Stevie Johnson has. I really hope they give this kid his shot because it looks like he can play.

I am not a huge fan of TO, but it seemed he played well here, and was a good camper in Cinci. The big question is what is his physical condition and is he recovered? I'm not sure how he fits in with Chan and Buddy, but he is worthy of consideration. I remember during free agency commenting that we could use more depth in the receiving corps.

How fast is Aiken? He seemed like a bigger receiver. On the other hand, I feel like I read that he has some jets.

By the way, hate to say it, but it sure would be nice to have Evans back (or Roscoe healthy).

4.45 at his pro day

Stevie's got a nagging groin injury that's hampering him even more on the deeper stuff. On that last drive at the end of the game yesterday you could see him on the field doing stretches to try to stay out there. It's not getting much press but it's clearly bothering him. He was caught from behind in Cinci too IIRC.

We need some depth

I don't see any value in bringing in a 37 year old coming off ACL surgery just 6 months ago

How fast is Aiken? He seemed like a bigger receiver. On the other hand, I feel like I read that he has some jets.

By the way, hate to say it, but it sure would be nice to have Evans back (or Roscoe healthy).

The Ravens would like to have Evans back. ;)

when i saw jones run off the field i thought it wasn't that serious, but apparently he's going to be out for a few weeks. really sucks. hopefully we can get Jones back after the bye for the Skins game. i know nothing of Aiken, in terms of watching him play...here's more info on Aiken:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1277679/kamar-aiken

Not much on him.

Brad Smith runs 4.42 40 yard dash. He would have ranked 13th out of ~45 wide receivers in speed (and 7th amoung CB) in the 2011 combine. He has the speed to be a deep threat or at least a deep decoy. Spiller is about 4.27. We do have players who can stretch the field and I think if Gailey wants to do that he is smart enough to get them on the field. :flirt:

Edited by maryland-bills-fan

Word on the street is that Randy Moss is in great shape right now and just a couple of months ago he ran 4.29 -40. The Bills should bring him in for a tryout, and if he is willing to come in and be a good foot soldier and have a team first approach. ( Now that`s a BIG IF) Then let`s sign him.. We can activate him after the BYE week that will give him 3 weeks to learn our offense. I think by far he is the best option out there right now and he wants to play for a team that`s in the hunt. I believe Randy would love to stick it to the Pats for trading that`s some added incentive to sign with us..