Our Defense in 2 years...

cage

When I think of our Offense, the line-up is shaping up to be around for 5+ years... QB, OL, WR, Spiller are all young and should be around a while.

But what about the Defense, who is on this team now that could be the line-up 2 years out? Here's my guesses based on

LDE Marcell Dareus, of course

NT Kyle Williams, we just signed him long-term so he better still be relevant in 2 years

RDE Alex Carrington, seems to be improving and should start by then

SLB Arthur Moats, I refuse to put him on the inside

MLB Kelvin Sheppard

WLB ?? love him now, but Barnett will be too old by then

JLB Danny Batten is he good enough?

LCB Aaron Williams

RCB Leodis McKelvin will he last and rally prove his value, not sure?

FS Jarius Byrd

SS Da'Norris Searcy would like to see some more of him

By then Kelsay, Edwards, Merriman, McGee, Wilson and Davis will have all eclipsed their time (some are already there, but thats another topic)

So it seem at least 3 positions WLB, JLB and RCB that are in serious question and that assumes that Carrington, Moats, Sheppard, Aaron Williams and Searcy develop as envisioned.

So if the Bills are to continue to grow, then at least 3 and as much as 7 long term answers need to be found

Merriman is 27. In two years, if my math is right, he'll be 29.

He's shot... too many injuries. I think he'll be retired before he's 30. I hope he plays well this year, but I don't see him being a long-term option. I meant to ask,... did he get benched or pulled a bit yesterday? There seemed to be an awful lot of Batten, Sheppard and Moats on the field yesterday and I know those snaps weren't coming at Nick Barnett's expense.

When I think of our Offense, the line-up is shaping up to be around for 5+ years... QB, OL, WR, Spiller are all young and should be around a while.

But what about the Defense, who is on this team now that could be the line-up 2 years out? Here's my guesses based on

NT Kyle Williams, we just signed him long-term so he better still be relevant in 2 years

MLB Kelvin Sheppard

LCB Aaron Williams

FS Jarius Byrd

By then Kelsay, Edwards, Merriman, McGee, Wilson and Davis will have all eclipsed their time (some are already there, but thats another topic)

So it seem at least 3 positions WLB, JLB and RCB that are in serious question and that assumes that Carrington, Moats, Sheppard, Aaron Williams and Searcy develop as envisioned.

So if the Bills are to continue to grow, then at least 3 and as much as 7 long term answers need to be found

U think Linebacker will be our top priority next yearwith a need for some more depth on the O-line.

MLB Kelvin Sheppard

LCB Aaron Williams

FS Jarius Byrd

If you have 2 stud tackles, your defense is automatically solid, simply by the fact that you are taking away important dimensions of the offense (the ability to run inside, the ability to stand in the pocket while deep pass plays develop, etc). If our offense is still this good, and our defense has those 2 stud tackles, we will contend without a doubt. So don't worry too much about the future.

MLB Kelvin Sheppard

LCB Aaron Williams

FS Jarius Byrd

You are probably not even close. Half those folks will be off the team and replace by rookies of some sort by then.

I hope for the sake of this team that Moats and Batten aren't 2 of our starting LBs. Moats will be fine in certain packages but he's no where near consistent enough of a pass rusher to be a starter. And Batten still has a long way to go. Will they get there? Who knows. But in no way should they be penciled in as starters 3 years from now.

U think Linebacker will be our top priority next yearwith a need for some more depth on the O-line.

LB and WR I'd say. Whichever position has the more dominant guys available, if any.

We still don't have a WR with the total athletic package to threaten the top corners. Not every team does - but if you want to play this offense and improve that's where we're lacking. At some point it would be nice to have our own Fitzgerald/C.Johnson/A.Johnson, etc... None of our guys are forcing double teams right now. (And NO, Lee Evans wasn't that guy either...)

You saw it yesterday where Fitz had almost no throws to the WR's against the "Dream Team" CB's. I expect to see the same against the Jets - who we will beat anyway with Freddy and the defense.