Now it's the 80s turn - 10 Worst Songs

bbb

I actually still get RS and once in awhile they have a great story like this week's cover story on Dark Side of the Moon. But, it's mostly garbage, and esp. if you lean to the right like me, some of it is hard to take.

I think these are reader's picks, though.........Any of those you think are good? I really like Safety Dance, and it seems the one writing the story does, too.

I like Safety Dance, I actually kind of enjoy Rick Astley, "Rock Me Amadeus" wasn't that awful, "Lady in Red" and "The Final Countdown" are enjoyable. To be honest, I think these readers just looked at the songs they remembered and said, "!@#$ it, the 80's were ****, so every song that was popular must be awful, and I know this one, so..."

Rock Me Amadeus,The Final Countdown, We Built this City, and Mickey are horrendous. What a bunch of crap. Mainstream 80s is probably the worst genre of music ever IMO. Great underground 80s alternative, punk, metal though

Rock Me Amadeus,The Final Countdown, We Built this City, and Mickey are horrendous. What a bunch of crap. Mainstream 80s is probably the worst genre of music ever IMO. Great underground 80s alternative, punk, metal though

That would get my vote, at least as far as top 40 things go...truly awful. I remember hearing Paul Kantner saying something like "In the 80's it all just fell apart...we sold more records...but I was miserable....we were playing in some theme park, playing that POS "we built this city" song...about halfway through the song, I just kind of started listening to it, and I said to myself, "how the !@#$ did this happen? How did this get by anyone? Why would anybody like this garbage?" Kantner quit the band shortly therefter...

Gotta say, the 80's were "my time" as far as music goes..I was 15 when the decade started, but there was a lot of bad **** going around then...but also some great songs that were buried under terrible studio production. I don't think one can understate enough some of the truly awful stuff that MTV inspired. Even inoffensive rockers like Tom Petty succumbed to the video medium, and in my eyes, it had a bad effect on music. It seemed, for a good part of the decade, a band could only be truly successful if they had a hit video...so you started getting people like Peter Gabriel writing songs, with videos in mind...that never worked for me.

There's a reason why nobody reads Rolling Stone anymore. That list sucks.

I got a free subscription to RS when I ordered concert tickets through Live Nation. I called LN and asked if they had any other mags they could give me. They said no so I just throw them in the trash when they come.

I like Safety Dance, I actually kind of enjoy Rick Astley, "Rock Me Amadeus" wasn't that awful, "Lady in Red" and "The Final Countdown" are enjoyable. To be honest, I think these readers just looked at the songs they remembered and said, "!@#$ it, the 80's were ****, so every song that was popular must be awful, and I know this one, so..."

'Rock Me Amadeus' wan't awful?!?!? :blink:

Yes there are plenty of other deserving nominees, but that list is pretty good IMO. Not a single song on there that didn't cause me to change the station in the 80s.

'Rock Me Amadeus' wan't awful?!?!? :blink:

Not that awful :D

I guess my beef is largely that there are a lot worse songs from that decade that people don't remember, simply because they were so bad that nobody heard them after Nirvana came around.

You're probably too young to remember the disco era.

Harsh view of the 80's. There were several on the list I disagreed with but no doubt that we built this city belongs at the top of the list.