City Of Vancouver Blames The NHL For Riots?

Dante

Forgive me if this was posted before. The article is a month old shedding light on the riots in Vancouver during the Stanley Cup Finals.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/City-of-Vancouver-blames-NHL-for-riots-embarras?urn=nhl-wp11913

Leave it to politicians to shift blame. It's pretty much standard playbook stuff to automatically blame big bad business. This guy from Puck Daddy does a great job of showing how they are full of shite.

The fact that the drinking age in most of Canada is 19 years old (18 in Quebec) has a bit to do with the rioting. In L.A., hoodlums and thugs live for nights like NBA championships - it is kind of like their Woodstock.

The fact that the drinking age in most of Canada is 19 years old (18 in Quebec) has a bit to do with the rioting. In L.A., hoodlums and thugs live for nights like NBA championships - it is kind of like their Woodstock.

The drinking age when I was young in NY was 18 and there was never any of this stuff. Blaming the behavior of hoodlums on the drinking age is ludicrous. Society has just become more violent.

The drinking age when I was young in NY was 18 and there was never any of this stuff. Blaming the behavior of hoodlums on the drinking age is ludicrous. Society has just become more violent.

Yes, I remember those days. Back then there was more violence within the bars by both patrons and staff. Buffalo's old bar Cassidy's comes to mind. Society has changed and the increased violence is only one of those changes. Rioting has become a way of social expression. In L.A. it is well known that the rioting was premeditated by many during the Lakers championship run. Some of that premeditation extended to social media. Some in society are also drinking more. Much more. This is especially true among college age individuals. The rioting has become a copycat "thing" for some. The area surrounding the Bell Centre in Montreal has an abundance of bars and glass storefronts within walking distance. Alcoholic over-consumption has a lot to do with problems within the stadiums and arenas sports across the continent. Why would it end when people go outside? Immaturity and overindulgence help lead to violence. Not a new trend. Sober people don't tend to riot much. Nor are the thirty-year-olds banding en masse to loot and pillage. In both the Vancouver and Montreal riots. witness accounts stated that many of those rioting and looting were both young (teens and early twenties - verified by cameras) and intoxicated. Oh and they were male of course.