South Park

Just Jack

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot was that? I used to look forward to a new South Park each week. Now I'm not even sure if I care if they are new episodes if they are going to be like these. Gonna go back and rewatch the first few seasons when they were hilarious.

Intriguing meta-narrative going on. In this episode, Parker and Stone essentially said "Yeah, we don't enjoy doing this anymore and we know it's gotten shittier, but sometimes it's best to stick with what you know."

As a fan of the show, I honestly don't know whether to be offended or impressed by the honesty.

Intriguing meta-narrative going on. In this episode, Parker and Stone essentially said "Yeah, we don't enjoy doing this anymore and we know it's gotten shittier, but sometimes it's best to stick with what you know."

As a fan of the show, I honestly don't know whether to be offended or impressed by the honesty.

Generally I've been disappointed in the show the last few seasons. Still makes me chuckle sometimes but not nearly as much as it used to. I think the most recent great episode was "The Coon" and that was a few seasons ago. Seems like they are always trying to up the offensive/outrageous bar to the point of being ridiculous. I also think that the recent trend(last 3 or 4 years) to be topical was a mistake. It was ok once in a while but they really seem to leen on that as a staple of their show. The shows that I really liked were the "Fun With Weapons" or "Cartman 2000" robot one. Or even the "Little Detectives". Thesethe episodes I think are genius.

Edited by Dante

I thought it was a good one. What didn't you like about it?

Pretty much the whole thing. The Matrix spoof, Stan now needs to drink to fit in, etc. My opinion I think closely mirrors what Dante spoke about. Go back and watch "Cartman Silly Hate Crime", then think about what is more funny, that episode, or this weeks episode.

Matt and Trey seem to be mailing it in now :(

Last good episode was when they took on Jersey Shore

I don't know maybe I'm the only one but I liked the CentIpad one, the City Sushi one, and the Royal wedding episodes......I thought the last two episodes were crap though.

I don't know maybe I'm the only one but I liked the CentIpad one, the City Sushi one, and the Royal wedding episodes......I thought the last two episodes were crap though.

The Royal Wedding was awesome. The centipad one and the city sushi one i likeed but not like some of their old ones...... The Hindsight ones were hiliarious

I don't think that most people seem to get this. Their message couldn't be any more clear with these last two episodes.

Matt and Trey seem to be mailing it in now :(

Last good episode was when they took on Jersey Shore

Really? To me the 'Jersey Shore' or 'Paris Hilton' episodes are the mail-ins. Give me the political/social commentary episodes any day where they mock the short-sighted overrecations of everyone. Or just a good-old-fashion story with Cartman acting like a megalomaniac.

So do I. Thinking back, I can't think of anything they could have cut to show the industries.

Has anyone seen the documentary, "Six Days to Air: The Making of South Park"? It aired this week on Comedy Central and shows how much stress these guys put on themselves. They try to wedge in the main plot and sub-plot in the 20+ minutes they have of programming. It shows how difficult it is to cut scenes and add scenes to make the show work. Really a good doc on Matt/Trey and the group who works insane hours to generate an episode from scratch every week during the season. The staff goes through a lot to make the shows relevant instead of putting them in a can a few months ahead of time.

Has anyone seen the documentary, "Six Days to Air: The Making of South Park"? It aired this week on Comedy Central and shows how much stress these guys put on themselves. They try to wedge in the main plot and sub-plot in the 20+ minutes they have of programming. It shows how difficult it is to cut scenes and add scenes to make the show work. Really a good doc on Matt/Trey and the group who works insane hours to generate an episode from scratch every week during the season. The staff goes through a lot to make the shows relevant instead of putting them in a can a few months ahead of time.

We watched and really enjoyed it. A couple things I took away from it. First how good must their production people be. I mean the artists, video editors and so on. They have to wait for the final write up until almost the last day. Then having to put it all together and make it polished enough to air. Second is how down to earth Matt and Trey are. They seem to be not overly impressed with themselves. Matt talking about getting offers to direct movies but turning them down because he is not a director!

Edited by Dante

It seems that no comedy can sustain excellence for more than 8-9 years. Look at the Simpsons. Seasons 1 through 10 still rank as my all time favorite television. By season 8 or 9 some real crap started to slip in, but it was still good on average. After season 10 the floodgates opened and it was unwatchable. Maybe if it was a new show I wouldn't mind, but after watching 10 years of brilliance turn into total mediocrity, it was unbearable. I have seen maybe 5 episodes in the last decade and couldn't tell you what season they are on now. Still have seasons 1 through 10 all but memorized, I consider what came later a different show.

South Park was also great through season 8. By season 9 and 10 my interest was waning, and after that the product was almost unrecognizable as what I loved in the first place. The last 2 or 3 seasons have been an utter train wreck. Too preachy and reliant shock factor. The wit seen in seasons 1 through 8 is all but gone. Now they capitalize on pop culture and current events. The timeless quality of their previous seasons is gone. Watch one of these episodes in 3 years and you may have trouble identifying the parody or remembering what inspired the episode in the first place.

Seinfeld, 10 seasons and out. Never hit the big skid, not a bad episode in the lot. Looks like they already knew what we would later find out watching our favorite shows turn to s#$%.

• 2 weeks later...