I thought they increased the debt ceiling and averted a shut down over

Gary M

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/05/us/house-approves-spending-bill-averting-shutdown.html?exprod=myyahoo

And this line is what really gets my goat:

"The impasse ended when the Federal Emergency Management Agency found enough money to make it through the fiscal year — which ended last weekend — clearing the way for a compromise."

How much more money is out there to be "found"

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/05/us/house-approves-spending-bill-averting-shutdown.html?exprod=myyahoo

And this line is what really gets my goat:

"The impasse ended when the Federal Emergency Management Agency found enough money to make it through the fiscal year — which ended last weekend — clearing the way for a compromise."

How much more money is out there to be "found"

There's a difference between approving a debt ceiling increase and a budget.

And I doubt FEMA "found" the money as much as "managed to transfer it from other line items on the books." Or, in other words, stole from other programs to pay for immediate needs.

There's a difference between approving a debt ceiling increase and a budget.

And I doubt FEMA "found" the money as much as "managed to transfer it from other line items on the books." Or, in other words, stole from other programs to pay for immediate needs.

I doubt that anyone can really tell what is a line item...on what books...for what programs. I think they are pulling most of this out of their ass, so yeah, I do think that they could find more if pressed further.

And, to get back to Gary's point: it's amazing what can happen when the normal pressure to make cost-cutting decisions is applied. Or..."welcome to living in the real world. Want that new project? Well, you're going to have to earn at least half of it by finding efficiency and cutting costs...or accept the fact that you can't have it until you do...just like the rest of us."

Edited by OCinBuffalo

I doubt that anyone can really tell what is a line item...on what books...for what programs. I think they are pulling most of this out of their ass, so yeah, I do think that they could find more if pressed further.

No, they pretty much can.

All the more shocking, since that level of tracking doesn't seem to make any difference in waste.