Blaming the Defense and Defensive Playcalling

Well your an idiot then.

The whole problem his mckelvin. The long plays were against mckelvin they often are now. Green did not fare well against D.F. but when green was lined up on the right my son and i just cringed. And he is a Raiders fan.i am sorry but that is why we lost and almost lose. There may be talk about bringing a safety on top to help and GE is suspect in regard to that. although i did see wilson there once but mclevin got so out of shape he took wilson out of play . The defense got pooped near the end from long drives but i did not see lack of effort from 97% of men on the field.

outcoached and tired of the anchor leodis. why rush when he wont even look for the ball. looks lost.

I can't wait till A. wiliams is healthy.

Also for GE it seemed we were outcoached in our run defense later on. I think Barnett recognizes well enough. Can Wanny step up? Should he?

Barnett is a very good player imho and an improvement for us. he has a ton of hustle.

i do not like the play calling. I do like the players. excepting 1.5 of them. and there are 4 i would like to upgrade next year. One of them should be be a near brutal cornerback.

but just for perspective our Offensive play callin' looked poor too against the TRAP team bangels.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to agree with the OP.

The offense scored 3 times, 1 TD and 2 FG. The defense scored as many TDs as the offense did that game.

I'm not sure at all how you blame the D for that loss. I can't see it. You aren't going to win many games with your offense scoring so few points.

I've always thought it was the defense's job to get the ball back to the offense, especially if the offense is struggling or having calls go against them.

Bit hard for the offense to score points sitting on the bench watching the other team marching the ball down the field, innit?

Well your an idiot then.

The whole problem his mckelvin. The long plays were against mckelvin they often are now. Green did not fare well against D.F. but when green was lined up on the right my son and i just cringed. And he is a Raiders fan.i am sorry but that is why we lost and almost lose. There may be talk about bringing a safety on top to help and GE is suspect in regard to that. although i did see wilson there once but mclevin got so out of shape he took wilson out of play . The defense got pooped near the end from long drives but i did not see lack of effort from 97% of men on the field.

outcoached and tired of the anchor leodis. why rush when he wont even look for the ball. looks lost.

I can't wait till A. wiliams is healthy.

Also for GE it seemed we were outcoached in our run defense later on. I think Barnett recognizes well enough. Can Wanny step up? Should he?

Barnett is a very good player imho and an improvement for us. he has a ton of hustle.

i do not like the play calling. I do like the players. excepting 1.5 of them. and there are 4 i would like to upgrade next year. One of them should be be a near brutal cornerback.

but just for perspective our Offensive play callin' looked poor too against the TRAP team bangels.

:doh:

The defense lost their intensity. I really see it as the reason the defense let some of those big plays happen.

The Bills are a team that has to outwork and out-hustle the competition for all four quarters. Apparently the new trend in the NFL is the "epic comeback".

I've always thought it was the defense's job to get the ball back to the offense, especially if the offense is struggling or having calls go against them.

Bit hard for the offense to score points sitting on the bench watching the other team marching the ball down the field, innit?

You kinda just made my point ... the offense was struggling which means they were not doing their job. The offense had plenty of opportunities with the ball all game and managed a lowly 1 TD and 2 FG. As I said before, the defense scored only 6 fewer points than the offense did! Plus they had one additional turnover!

Blaming the defense only is illogical.

I just don't see how we are going to stop the Eagles... if the Bengals put up that many yards on us so easily, how are we going to contain a much more talented team? :(

They can't, they won't. Game's already over and decided.

[i know that is not your intended point, nor is it mine... just a gentle reminder that we will not know one way or another until they actually play... :thumbsup: ]

A lot of the stops in the first half were from bad throws by Dalton, not so much the defense. In the second half his passes got more accurate and the torching began. To me a good defense can get off the field when the game is hanging in the balance. They couldn't get the stop when it mattered most.

Same with the offense, when you need a TD you have to get a TD, not a three and out. This team is one or two drafts away from being playoff bound. They will be fun to watch at times this year.

George Edwards need to get more aggressive with this defense.

I just don't see how we are going to stop the Eagles... if the Bengals put up that many yards on us so easily, how are we going to contain a much more talented team? :(

Play defense more along the lines of the first 2 games. Hard hitting and guys making tackles. Containment. Make Vick beat us throwing and hope for a couple picks.

Sustain drives on offense and keep Vick off the field/keep the D well-rested

Or was that a rhetorical question?

Edwards hasnt impressed me at all. Wanny is a proven guy. If they need to make a change on defense the first I would make is the D-coordinator. Why are we sticking with him??

Are you suggesting a 3-1 team comin out of a lockout fire their D Coordinator in week 5???????

Are you suggesting a 3-1 team comin out of a lockout fire their D Coordinator in week 5???????

Are you suggesting that replacing Edwards, lets say with Wannstedt, would somehow make this defense worse?

The Bills won't do it, but they should have in the off season and they ought to do it now. Right now. Put Wannstedt in and get it over with, already. This will be a whole new defense in 3 games, before it's too late in the season to make a difference.

Bottomline is that the offense should have put away the game in the third quarter so that the defense didn't have to make stops. The D gets its share of the blame but in my opinion if you only score 3 points in a half you are not going to finish that game well and that's exactly what happened.

Yup. This was possibly the worst defense in the league last season and the only significant net adds are 3 rookies (1 of whom is a starter) and a broken down LB. What did people expect?

There is still a crying need to upgrade the talent level, particularly at LB.

Right on the money.Short and sweet.

Bottomline is that the offense should have put away the game in the third quarter so that the defense didn't have to make stops. The D gets its share of the blame but in my opinion if you only score 3 points in a half you are not going to finish that game well and that's exactly what happened.

Ah, I think that's why teams have both an offense and a defense?

If the offense gets stopped, the defense is supposed to get the ball back to the o until they get it right and get something done?

If you're trying to say both sides of the Bills played poorly, I agree with you.

Overall, though, if you have a lead and blow it without turnovers, that's pretty much on the D provided they haven't been on the field all game (which they weren't - O had a couple long drives)

Watched the game again last night:

Bottomline: the offense DID put the game away in the third quarter with a 17 play 9 and a half minute drive that ended with a FG and went into the fourth quarter.

Bottomline: the defense then forced a three and out and gave them the ball right back

Bottomline: The offense was then moving the ball at will until on third and ONE, with about eight minutes to go, we got the Stevie drop.

THEN the wheels came off.

That play WAS the game changer. Yes, our guys have to be more mentally tough on both sides of the ball to overcome what ensued, but at that point in the game, the cincy d was gassed. We had the ball, a seven point lead, we were marching, we were CRUSHING the clock, and there's no doubt in my mind we end that drive with a score, giving the bengals less than four minutes to flip a ten or fourteen point deficit.

Now were looking at a 23-13 or 27-13 scenario with less than four minutes in the game, an inevitability negated by a SINGLE call most questionable.

Being that close to a sure handed victory, who among us can look at that and arrive to the same doomsday scenario wrt our d?

Btw, our d DID actually look tough on the bengals drive to tie it 20-20 The Bengals just made some great plays. They're pros too, ya know.