The ''Mercedes Benz Superdome''

Seems odd for a German company to have its name on a stadium where they play what the Germans refer to derisively as 'American football' - but their Euros are as good as any other currency, I guess.

I'm not big on seeing corporate logos plastered over every visible inch of public space, but am resigned that the deluge of corporate sponsorship and assault with non-stop advertisements has grown to become a permanent, unpleasant part of our lives. I saw once saw a cap on one of Dennis Connor's America's Cup crew that had - printed on the underside of the bill - 'THIS SPACE AVAILABLE'

Seems odd for a German company to have its name on a stadium where they play what the Germans refer to derisively as 'American football' - but their Euros are as good as any other currency, I guess.

I'm not big on seeing corporate logos plastered over every visible inch of public space, but am resigned that the deluge of corporate sponsorship and assault with non-stop advertisements has grown to become a permanent, unpleasant part of our lives. I saw once saw a cap on one of Dennis Connor's America's Cup crew that had - printed on the underside of the bill - 'THIS SPACE AVAILABLE'

What I like is I've heard it ends the states financial obligations.

Everyones going to call it the superdome anyway.... Not a great deal for mercedes.

It's only a matter of time before the NFL starts putting ads on the field and jerseys.

PTR

Because a stadium has been named after a luxury car company--instead of a beer company? A bank? An obscure oil company? A dot-com (until it goes chapter 11)?

Explain why you think this.

Because a stadium has been named after a luxury car company--instead of a beer company? A bank? An obscure oil company? A dot-com (until it goes chapter 11)?

I'd have to hope that his comment was an aside, but slightly on topic commentary. The superdome isn't an NFL stadium, it's a worldclass facility that hosts a huge amount of events. Not only is it saints games but is homefield for NCAA teams, 3 bowl games, the final four, concerts, conferences, and that's just the next 6 months. This isn't Roger looking for cash-flow, this is financing a major venue that also hosts NFL games.

As an aside.... Im amazed this is the tone of the posts- I expected "what about the Ralph now"

Edited by NoSaint

Fucillo Field? :beer:

"Its HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Buffalo"

I'd have to hope that his comment was an aside, but slightly on topic commentary. The superdome isn't an NFL stadium, it's a worldclass facility that hosts a huge amount of events. Not only is it saints games but is homefield for NCAA teams, 3 bowl games, the final four, concerts, conferences, and that's just the next 6 months. This isn't Roger looking for cash-flow, this is financing a major venue that also hosts NFL games.

As an aside.... Im amazed this is the tone of the posts- I expected "what about the Ralph now"

Do you really think that the Superdome is the only facility that is only used by its NFL team for things? Even the Ralph holds a couple of other events during the year besides Bills games

It's just my opinion but it's based on the idea that the NFL will mine every vein for revenue. The NFL has resisted so far but one of these days "Jerruh" Jones or Bob Kraft will sell a small patch on the jersey and the genie will be out of the bottle.

Fucillo Field? :beer:

How about "Geico Field at Ralph Wilson Stadium?"

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

"Its HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Buffalo"

Do you really think that the Superdome is the only facility that is only used by its NFL team for things? Even the Ralph holds a couple of other events during the year besides Bills games

Clearly I don't think it's the only, but to imply it is part of an NFL money grab isn't fair. This isn't a 10 NFL games, and a half dozen random concerts venue.

It's just my opinion but it's based on the idea that the NFL will mine every vein for revenue. The NFL has resisted so far but one of these days "Jerruh" Jones or Bob Kraft will sell a small patch on the jersey and the genie will be out of the bottle.

How about "Geico Field at Ralph Wilson Stadium?"

PTR

If they are so cash hungry, why are they holding back--makes no sense. Jones and Kraft cannot sell a small patch on the jersey--it's not in the CBA, so there will be no genie out of the bottle.

Relax.

If they are so cash hungry, why are they holding back--makes no sense. Jones and Kraft cannot sell a small patch on the jersey--it's not in the CBA, so there will be no genie out of the bottle.

Relax.

As of yet Jerry Jones has not sold the naming rights for his gilded domicile. It is my understanding that up to now he wasn't satisfied with the offers. It appears he is biding his time until he can get a better deal.

What has irked some owner,s such as Jones and Snyder, is not that Ralph doesn't want to sell the naming rights of his stadium but that he has complained about the revenue limitations of the small market teams. Their aggravated response is that he should maximize his revenue potential before he complains about the revenue disparity.

I used to live in NY and had some orthodox jewish friends that told me they would never buy a Mercedes Benz. This struck me as extreme but in a way I can kind of see the unforgiving nature over what their ancestors suffered during WWII. I now wonder if they would attend a games at the Superdome? :(

Edited by Mr. Wonderful

the funny thing is that if ralph really wanted money he could sell the stadium name in a second. but i think this is a stubborn old man's principles kind of thing. though i could be wrong, he could be holding out for the makers of his favorite pudding to make an offer.