The Spot and other BS

I join the St. Louis Bills Backers nearly every week. I had to leave at the half yesterday. My 9 year old son had a 2 p.m. baseball game, the scoundrel. I watched the game unfold on ESPN.com. I missed most of the bad calls.

I will mention that I called the "tuck rule" during the t.v. timeout. i knew they wouldn't let that stand. bastards.

i have yet to see the controversial Stevie Johnson play.

However, I did catch the re-spot of Dalton's run. that was bullshi@. When his knee hit the ground, he was CLEARLY short of the yard marker. When they spotted it, the ball was halfway across the yard marker. I do not see how a replay official could miss that. His knee was down and the ball had not reached the hash mark. It's clear.

I was sitting in the bleachers at the time, and ESPN read 3rd and 3, Dalton runs 2 yards, 4th and 1. And then it just sat there for about 5 minutes, then it changed to Dalton runs 3 yards. 1st and 10. I told my sister-in-law, the refs just decided to give the game to the Bengals. I had no idea that they had decided that earlier when that a-hole from downfield took the catch away from Johnson.

Although I did sense it earlier with the tuck rule, and the Bengals being allowed to hammer the f##k out of Fitz after he released the ball....including one play where it looked like the guy was trying to twist his knee off the joint.

You guys can stand with all this feigned dignity about how the officiating was poor but the Bengals outplayed the Bills. That's fine. We don't stoop to blame the refs. Except for one thing: yesterday they did affect the outcome with at least 3 huge mistakes. not to mention numerous pass interferences, holds, etc.

Stand tall and take the blame for the loss. the refs never cause the loss.

Yeah, right.

I do think they should dump the DC. He just doesn't look like he knows what he's doing, and the facts prove that assertion.

However, I did catch the re-spot of Dalton's run. that was bullshi@. When his knee hit the ground, he was CLEARLY short of the yard marker. When they spotted it, the ball was halfway across the yard marker. I do not see how a replay official could miss that. His knee was down and the ball had not reached the hash mark. It's clear.

I did have the thought if that spot were correct then FJ scored a touchdown with 1:43 to play last week.

Some games you get the breaks, some games you don't.

You can see the shadow of the ball is well short of the end zone on Stevie's play last week. When his knee touched, the ball had not yet reached the end zone. That was pretty clear.

My question was how can a review guy look at Dalton's knee, see where the ball is, and then allow it to be spotted at least a foot beyond where it was. That's absurd. You can freeze frame it and it's easy to see.

I get the same response from my pals at work when I try to explain how that goal in the Philly game shouldn't have counted because it did not go into the goal. It's like mounting a deer on the wall while it's still alive. If you didn't shoot the deer, he ain't dead. The goal never existed, so the score should never have gone on the board.

They say, sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. Wrong. Get the call right. It ain't rocket science.

The spot at the time was clearly short, and I didnt see anything in the replay footage that would have changed my mind. That being said, bad calls are the breaks of the game and for everyone they get it seems sooner or later we will be on the good side of "bad" calls. You gotta win in spite of them.

It is some consolation that but for two critical bad calls we probably would have won.