The occupy Wall Street movement spreads

They're back.....

Court order allows Occupy Wall St. protesters back

Hours later, the National Lawyers Guild obtained a court order allowing Occupy Wall Street protesters to return with tents to the park. The guild said the injunction prevents the city from enforcing park rules on Occupy Wall Street protesters.

I read earlier this morning that Bloomberg feels he needs to put safety above rights, and will fight the order put out by the National Lawyers Guild by producing his own order put out by The Lollipop Guild.

From today's NY Post:

Three small, yet colorful men joined Bloomberg at a press conference earlier today, and would only confirm that they do, in fact, represent the Lollipop Guild, the Lollipop Guild.

Should get interesting at Zuccotti Park now. Lawyers Guild vs. Lollipop Guild in a steelcage death match.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The eviction can only be a good thing for OWS. Perhaps now they will be forced to create some institution or organization that will be better equipped to argue their point in a public forum. If they don't adopt the some of the strategies of the TEA Party, they will hand wiggle themselves into irrelevance fast.

The eviction can only be a good thing for OWS. Perhaps now they will be forced to create some institution or organization that will be better equipped to argue their point in a public forum. If they don't adopt the some of the strategies of the TEA Party, they will hand wiggle themselves into irrelevance fast.

There's some big if's in there. I can't imagine these people forming a coherent organization to argue their points. At least from what I've seen anyway.

You can say that again!

There's some big if's in there. I can't imagine these people forming a coherent organization to argue their points. At least from what I've seen anyway.

Yes, there are a lot of if's. The movement itself attempts to build on a pluralistic diversity that is at once the source of its greatest potential and its biggest handicap. We may see in the OWS Movement how a commitment to ideological diversity actually works against meaningful political action. Sometimes you just have to decide on a platform and run with it. Hopefully OWS can do this based around the government/corporate nexus, but I won't hold my breath.

Edited by WilliamCody

Really, its been two and a half months. If they can't tell us why they're still living in a park after two months what makes anyone think they will ever know?

When you're dealing with people whose thought process goes something like "dude, grab all your sh#t and meet me in the park! Why? No idea man, but we'll figure that out later. What's important right now is that we get all our stuff and go live in the park. For how long? I don't know man, maybe forever, just grab your sh%t and get down there before all the good spots get taken. Why? Cause its not a very big park dude, its gonna fill up fast. Oh, you mean why are we going down there? It's like cause of taxes, and the banks they like run the government or something and the corporations... Wooooooo...WE'RE LIVING IN THE PARK!!! "

You're talking about a bunch of people that can't even organize basic needs for a tent city.

Don't hold your breath.

Really, its been two and a half months. If they can't tell us why they're still living in a park after two months what makes anyone think they will ever know?

When you're dealing with people whose thought process goes something like "dude, grab all your sh#t and meet me in the park! Why? No idea man, but we'll figure that out later. What's important right now is that we get all our stuff and go live in the park. For how long? I don't know man, maybe forever, just grab your sh%t and get down there before all the good spots get taken. Why? Cause its not a very big park dude, its gonna fill up fast. Oh, you mean why are we going down there? It's like cause of taxes, and the banks they like run the government or something and the corporations... Wooooooo...WE'RE LIVING IN THE PARK!!! "

This is a mischaracterization of the movement. The problem isn't that they have no opinions or that they aren't informed, is that the movement from its beginning allowed every opinion to be voiced at its meetings. There is undoubtedly an ideological core that seeks to call attention to and change the corporate/government nexus, but the problem is they have no agreement on what that actually is. But that doesn't mean the individuals themselves are mis- or ill- informed. It means that they are not doing a good job of finding a relatable message that can cut across demographic divides.

This is a mischaracterization of the movement. The problem isn't that they have no opinions or that they aren't informed, is that the movement from its beginning allowed every opinion to be voiced at its meetings. There is undoubtedly an ideological core that seeks to call attention to and change the corporate/government nexus, but the problem is they have no agreement on what that actually is. But that doesn't mean the individuals themselves are mis- or ill- informed. It means that they are not doing a good job of finding a relatable message that can cut across demographic divides.

Yes, the filmed interviews and the OWS List of Demands have clearly demonstrated that the protestors have many opinions. The opinions expressed, however, are totally ignorant and incredibly mis-informed. While its great that you've projected your own opinions on to OWS about "corporate/government nexus" it doesn't change the fact that when questioned about their diffuse political and economic views, the average protestor has proven incapable of demonstrating any comprehension or knowledge about the issues which they care enough about to go live in a f'ing park.

When you start a movement, call for action, name a time and place, secure funding, make a website, but fail to articulate what you stand for, what your goals are, and what is your underlying motivation, then how else can the "movement" be described other than a total farce?

OWS has established their priorities. 1. Live in a park. 2. Figure out why we are living in a park. 3. Forming educated opinions.

I'm no community organizer, but don't you think they might have the process backwards? Although most people who start with number 3 seem to find no need for steps 2 or 1 for some reason. I wonder why that is?

Edited by Jauronimo

Yes, the filmed interviews and the OWS List of Demands have clearly demonstrated that the protestors have many opinions. The opinions expressed, however, are totally ignorant and incredibly mis-informed. While its great that you've projected your own opinions on to OWS about "corporate/government nexus" it doesn't change the fact that when questioned about their diffuse political and economic views, the average protestor has proven incapable of demonstrating any comprehension or knowledge about the issues which they care enough about to go live in a f'ing park.

When you start a movement, call for action, name a time and place, secure funding, make a website, but fail to articulate what you stand for, what your goals are, and what is your underlying motivation, then how else can the "movement" be described other than a total farce?

OWS has established their priorities. 1. Live in a park. 2. Figure out what why we are living in a park. 3. Forming educated opinions.

I'm no community organizer, but don't you think they might have the process backwards? Although most people who start with number 3 seem to find no need for steps 2 or 1 for some reason. I wonder why that is?

I visit other forums regularly and it seems as if a lot of the communists are using this as an opportunity to try and bring down capitalism.

Yes, there are a lot of if's. The movement itself attempts to build on a pluralistic diversity that is at once the source of its greatest potential and its biggest handicap. We may see in the OWS Movement how a commitment to ideological diversity actually works against meaningful political action. Sometimes you just have to decide on a platform and run with it. Hopefully OWS can do this based around the government/corporate nexus, but I won't hold my breath.

Why did this post make me think of this?

King Arthur: Well, we all are. We are all Britons. And I am your king.

Woman: I didn't know we had a king. I thought we were an autonomous collective.

Dennis: You're foolin' yourself! We're living in a dictatorship. A self-perpetuating autocracy in which the working class...

Woman: Oh, there you go bringing class into it again.

Dennis: Well, that's what it's all about! If only people would...

King Arthur: Please, please, good people, I am in haste. Who lives in that castle?

Woman: No one lives there.

King Arthur: Then who is your lord?

Woman: We don't have a lord.

Dennis: I told you, we're an anarcho-syndicalist commune. We take it in turns to be a sort of executive officer for the week...

King Arthur: Yes...

Dennis: ...but all the decisions of that officer have to be ratified at a special bi-weekly meeting...

King Arthur: Yes I see...

Dennis: ...by a simple majority in the case of purely internal affairs...

King Arthur: Be quiet!

Dennis: ...but by a two thirds majority in the case of...

King Arthur: Be quiet! I order you to be quiet!

Why did this post make me think of this?

King Arthur: Well, we all are. We are all Britons. And I am your king.

Woman: I didn't know we had a king. I thought we were an autonomous collective.

Dennis: You're foolin' yourself! We're living in a dictatorship. A self-perpetuating autocracy in which the working class...

Woman: Oh, there you go bringing class into it again.

Dennis: Well, that's what it's all about! If only people would...

King Arthur: Please, please, good people, I am in haste. Who lives in that castle?

Woman: No one lives there.

King Arthur: Then who is your lord?

Woman: We don't have a lord.

Dennis: I told you, we're an anarcho-syndicalist commune. We take it in turns to be a sort of executive officer for the week...

King Arthur: Yes...

Dennis: ...but all the decisions of that officer have to be ratified at a special bi-weekly meeting...

King Arthur: Yes I see...

Dennis: ...by a simple majority in the case of purely internal affairs...

King Arthur: Be quiet!

Dennis: ...but by a two thirds majority in the case of...

King Arthur: Be quiet! I order you to be quiet!

So you're saying if Dave_In_Norfolk weighs the same as a duck we should...

Edited by Jauronimo

So let me get this right: tens of thousands of people around the globe managed to coordinate themselves to the extent that they would all gather in specific places at specific times in various parts of the world for a common goal of protesting, and yet these same people are unable to explain what they are specifically protesting? How, precisely, did this coordination take place?

OWS Grand Supreme Leader: "Okay, all angry people. We agree we're angry and we're going to protest, so let's define our message okay? Any ideas?"

OWS Protester #1: "Yes, we need to let people know that evil bankers are responsible for the world's problems."

OWS Grand Supreme Leader: "That's good. What else?"

OWS Protester #2: "We need to remind them that the world is ruled by only 1% of earners and we are the 99%!"

OWS Grand Supreme Leader: "Excellent. Okay, so we have our...what? Yes, you in the back."

OWS Protester #37: "And my student loan is due. I can't afford it. Someone needs to pay!"

OWS Grand Leader: "Okay, so banks are evil, top earners rule the world and your student loan is due. Got it. Okay, so...yes...you in the corner."

OWS Protester #465: "Jews suck. They all need to die."

OWS Proteseter #14: "We need to abolish money and just swap everything with each other."

OWS Protester #267: "I need to take a dump. Is there a bathroom nearby?"

OWS Protester#268: "There's a Port-a-potty near that cop car over there."

OWS Protester #16: "Will there be chicks or should we just rape whomever we want?"

I guess maybe it is believable.

So you're saying if Dave_In_Norfolk weighs the same as a duck we should...

No if he's heavier than a duck we should..........

So let me get this right: tens of thousands of people around the globe managed to coordinate themselves to the extent that they would all gather in specific places at specific times in various parts of the world for a common goal of protesting, and yet these same people are unable to explain what they are specifically protesting? How, precisely, did this coordination take place?

Facebook and Twitter. :rolleyes: