Why Isn't Gailey Using Brad Smith In Short Yardage Situations?

This is the second week in a row where we have struggled running the football in short yardage situations. 2nd and 2, 3rd and 1 you GIVE THE ^&&&&&^%%$$$ ball to Brad Smith. You have to take advantage of those situations. Geez he's only 100% in getting a first down in those situations. His high success rate with the Jets in those situations was the same. I can only point to bad in game coaching decisions in this case.

Oh yeah there is that other waterbug (Spiller) that is rendered useless going into week 5.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

You guys crack me up. Gailey is not the problem.

Execute the play and the coach is a genious, don't execute and he is a dummy.

This loss falls sqaurely on the players. The players did not tackle, cover, catch, pass and block good enough.

Right on.

Moreover, I don't think that the wildcat fools anyone (or "forces them to prepare") when the team runs out of it 95 percent of the time. I'd rather give the ball to Jackson against that mean Cincy front seven than screw around with Brad Smith.

Normally I would say that the Wildcat needs to go but with Parrish out and with Smith lining up at WR alot I have a different take. They should motion into the Wildcat from the spread formation. Then they will be running(agree with previos post-they almost always run out of the Wildact) against a nickle or dime defense. With FJ and Smith in the backfield together they could run the option FJ can be lead blocker on a sweep. They could even run to Fitz's side as he probably is a better blocker than your average QB - though I would be worried someone would take a shot at him downfield.

The play that I've been waiting to see is a jet sweep out of the wildcat with Smith/Spiller.

Spiller has shown the ability to get to the edge so why not use it? When you establish that in your offense you can mix it up with a little play action and hit one long.

It's hard to doubt Gailey but Fitz didn't have it today so why not switch it up?

You guys crack me up. Gailey is not the problem.

Execute the play and the coach is a genious, don't execute and he is a dummy.

This loss falls sqaurely on the players. The players did not tackle, cover, catch, pass and block good enough.

Sorry, but coaches have to put players in situations where they can succeed. Giving the ball to C.J. Spiller in short yardage and asking him to run straight ahead is just dumb. He is not that kind of back and Gailey has done it at least 4 times in the last two weeks. Get the guy the ball in space where he can run. Or use Brad Smith as the OP suggests. Gailey is mostly a very good play caller, but these short yardage calls just don't make any sense.

Don't take my word for it. Coach Sal agrees. He even admits there were some important opportunities to implement Brad Smith in this game.

Man, the offense was struggling today and Brad Smith and Spiller nowhere to be seen. This falls on Gailey.

PS I hate the fact they are utilizing Smith as a WR.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever