Freddy J 24th highest paid Bill, 42nd highest paid RB

Beerball

So even though he has two years left on the last contract he signed, he has an argument that he has outplayed his contract, and they should revisit it. Revisiting it twice probably wouldn't be right.

How does that change anything? He chose to sign that contract and I'm willing to bet if he underplayed his contract he wouldn't be interested in giving money back. It's amazing how many people are concerned about Fred's contract to what seems to be more than he is. They're going to extend him. I'm sure Stevie and Fitz would appreciate him making a stink (which he's not, he made one comment and some fans have been waving the banner) so the Bills can put their contracts on hold and work on his..

Keep looking for crap to bash the team about so you can go "I WAS RIGHT! BILLS SUCK!". There's no doubt you'll find something.

So he was under an expiring contract, had a 1 year tender and chose to extend that for more money.... I'm not even sure your technicality argument has any merit, yet alone the assertions based off it.

That said, I'd have no problem renegotiating before free agency. The source of his contract bears little on the fact that he's 18 months from free agency and that's standard practice to renegotiate in the coming offseason, if not a few weeks earlier. My feeling is it has to do with time remaining not source and this isn't year 2 of a 7 year deal where he already got big money up front and just never liked the salaries.

His contract was up. Done. He didn't re-negotiate. He was a exclusive rights free agent so he couldn't negotiate with any other team after the (crappy) tender was offered. The Bills had him over a barrel. But he didn't say I have a contract we agreed on and now I don't like it, which is what he is doing now. That is an entirely different scenario, IMO.

His contract was up. Done. He didn't re-negotiate. He was a exclusive rights free agent so he couldn't negotiate with any other team after the (crappy) tender was offered. The Bills had him over a barrel. But he didn't say I have a contract we agreed on and now I don't like it, which is what he is doing now. That is an entirely different scenario, IMO.

What rank was he when he signed that contract? Why haven't the Bills paid Jasper yet? In several years he will be a free agent and the Bills will be right back in this situation!!!!

Edited by jeremy2020

I mean, really, the problem is that the NFL screws players whose careers start in other leagues. Most ERFAs are 23 or 24, and two years out of college. Freddie hit that level at 28, and was really stuck. It's not a position many players find themselves in, so nobody cares to change the system.

What rank was he when he signed that contract? Why haven't the Bills paid Jasper yet? In several years he will be a free agent and the Bills will be right back in this situation!!!!

Yeah, he's just like Jasper. That's a very keen observation and analogy.

Actually, the last game he played before that contract he started at RB against the Patriots and ran for 137 yards against them. He caught a pass. He was the main punt returner and the main kick returner.

PAY THE MAN!!!!

3 Years is about all I would do given his age. Since NFL contracts don't mean squat especially to owners we could always sign him for longer. We can always get rid of him if his performance doesn't continue to exceed his contract a few years down the road.

Yeah, he's just like Jasper. That's a very keen observation and analogy.

Actually, the last game he played before that contract he started at RB against the Patriots and ran for 137 yards against them. He caught a pass. He was the main punt returner and the main kick returner.

Keep avoiding the question, it's serving your argument well.

Frankly, your just being argumentative. You could just as easily say he signed a contract with a one year option for the bills at the close, they exercised that option and then renegotiated an extension. It's all semantics. It's not like the bills tricked him. All sides new what was happening at the close of the contract - an option year for the team.

He's at the point that you start negotiating extensions - as seen as fair from both sides regularly. Why does it make a difference if it was a rookie deal, he was a ufa, or extended? He's a hair over a year out, that's when you lock guys up. It'll either be a bye week deal or offseason deal and frankly I dont care which. We will probably see it in February if I had to guess.

If he had breakaway speed he'd get more cash. Homerun hitters are highly paid Freddie good singles and doubles guy.

Tell that to Brandon Jacobs… one of the highest paid RBs in the NFL… or to Peyton Hillis who's in the midst of negotiating a lucrative extension.

Running back contracts have to do with if/where they were drafted and when their contracts expire.

The Bills sandbagging on the Jackson contract has zero to do with how fast he is.

In just 3 games this year, Fred Jackson has ripped off gains of 38, 34, 27, 24, and 21 yards as well as 5 other plays of double-digit gains.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

Tell that to Brandon Jacobs… one of the highest paid RBs in the NFL… or to Peyton Hillis who's in the midst of negotiating a lucrative extension.

Running back contracts have to do with if/where they were drafted and when their contracts expire.

The Bills sandbagging on the Jackson contract has zero to do with how fast he is.

In just 3 games this year, Fred Jackson has ripped off gains of 38, 34, 27, 24, and 21 yards as well as 5 other plays of double-digit gains.

I suppose you could argue draft position has a lot to do with rare physical talents. But I think the real issue at hand is he is 30.

But in reality he is a young 30. He has about 3 more years before he is football 30. IMO.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Though I agree, he still was taking hits, and aging outside the NFL. Though I agree he's a young 30 - I was simply observing that I think it will factor into his contract talks still. Much more than draft position.