Random Thoughts

maddog

1 - As much as I don't like Donovan Darius and Jack Del Rio, the problem I have with his ejection was that it was handed out like the NHL hands out suspensions - based on the result. Had Ferguson popped up and gone back to the huddle, there would have been no ejection. The NHL is notorious for this, basing suspensions on how bad a player is injured rather than the intent of the penalized player.

2 - I think the play of Tenn/KC last week and the Dolphins last night show that very few teams "lay down" when they have nothing to play for. They may not win, but Houston, Oakland, Tennessee, and Miami (if necessary) will all play hard these last two weeks.

3 - Depending on how things play out, Indy could be in the very strange situation of dictating who they play in the first round of the playoffs. Do they play hard and beat Denver so they can play a hot Buffalo team or do they rest starters, show nothing to Denver, likely lose and play Denver the following week? I think most teams, if asked, would rather play Denver than Buffalo right now. That could present Indy with a conflict of interest.

1 - As much as I don't like Donovan Darius and Jack Del Rio, the problem I have with his ejection was that it was handed out like the NHL hands out suspensions - based on the result.  Had Ferguson popped up and gone back to the huddle, there would have been no ejection.  The NHL is notorious for this, basing suspensions on how bad a player is injured rather than the intent of the penalized player.

171509[/snapback]

Well, it's much more obvious to see an 'intent to injure' if an injury happens. How else do you really propose to determine 'intent'? Should we have a close-up shot on all player faces to see if we can see evil in their eyes?

Some dirty hits are more obvious than others, sure. But even if Darius' wasn't dirty (though I believe it was), it was extremely reckless. It wasn't like Ferguson had a bad fall. His injury was caused by the contact, which could have been avoided. Instead, Darius followed through. He deserved the ejection and should see a fine and maybe a game or two suspension. It sends the message to others, that one can play and hit hard but the line is drawn at taking an open head shot at a player who isn't looking / defenseless in the situation.

Steve Tasker said it last night on the Bob Mathews radio show. He knows Donovan Darius personally and he KNOWS that he would NEVER intentionally try to hurt someone. Steve also said he has a really good hurt, but is physical on the field. He would never TRY to hurt you. He also agree's with coach del-rio that it was a quick reflex of the moment. We dont realize how fast the game is going on out there. You have to make a judgement quick and he just made a wrong one.

Well, it's much more obvious to see an 'intent to injure' if an injury happens.  How else do you really propose to determine 'intent'?  Should we have a close-up shot on all player faces to see if we can see evil in their eyes?

Some dirty hits are more obvious than others, sure.  But even if Darius' wasn't dirty (though I believe it was), it was extremely reckless.  It wasn't like Ferguson had a bad fall.  His injury was caused by the contact, which could have been avoided.  Instead, Darius followed through.  He deserved the ejection and should see a fine and maybe a game or two suspension.  It sends the message to others, that one can play and hit hard but the line is drawn at taking an open head shot at a player who isn't looking / defenseless in the situation.

171525[/snapback]

Quite frankly, I've seen hits this year - helmet to helmet - that were much more vicious that did not result in an ejection.