Quick Question

halijack

In the 4th Quarter, and less than a minute to go, the Bills false started. Oddly they were not trailing and simply trying to kill time, but should there not have been an automatic 10 second run off for this penalty? Is this rule only enforced when its not favorable to the offense?

Sorry if this this a stupid question.

New England was given the option and declined that part of the penalty.

You're right. I didn't know that/was allowed.

But I thought you were only given a 10-second run-off if you didn't have any TO's, and the Bills had 2 left.

That's an interesting caveat to the rule. A team could otherwise simply take a strong of penalties and kill the clock. They'd be flinching all over the place out there... maybe take a couple of personal fouls while they're at it, get a few good licks in for good measure.

Yup - without the "option" a team could get about a dozen straight false starts to run the 2 mins off the clock

I think you can take the yards or the time if you are the Defense. They chose the yards. The defensive penalty is probably the same thing. You can take the 1st down or the time run-off. We took the 1st down.

Nope. Yards are always part of it. Can't do time only as far as I know. It's yards, or both I believe.