OT - Ask TBD - WAY better than Ask Jeeves

Kelly the Dog

I know it's a little obscure, but...

Does anyone know, or could figure out, or could lead me in the right direction, to find out approximately how much money 1000 pounds, in 1750 England (or anytime around 1800) is worth in today's pounds, or better, in today's dollars.

I would be much obliged. I have yet to see the TBD extended family not know something, excluding, of course, how to rid ourselves of Patsie Trolls.

Does anyone know, or could figure out, or could lead me in the right direction, to find out approximately how much money 1000 pounds, in 1750 England (or anytime around 1800) is worth in today's pounds, or better, in today's dollars.

I would be much obliged. I have yet to see the TBD extended family not know something, excluding, of course, how to rid ourselves of Patsie Trolls.

171396[/snapback]

So, who is going to be the first to send GG money on this one? :w00t:

171396[/snapback]

Linky Thingy

Ok, I found something that gets me in the ballpark. The Internet never ceases to amaze me... If I can believe this site...

Pride and Prejudice author Jane Austen bequeaths her 800-pound estate - worth about $124,000 in today's dollars - to her "dearest" sister, Cassandra Elizabeth, in her 1817 will. Henry, her brother, gets only 50 pounds, or about $7,800 today.

So, at least in 1817, 1000 pounds would seemingly be worth $156,000.

WOW, KRC. That was awesome, and the exact year that I needed the info from (actully 1749). I can figure it out from that. Thanks a lot. But I mean, come on, that took like 6 minutes for someone to get it.  :w00t:

171453[/snapback]

Here, you can use this for any year up until 2002. Shouldn't be difficult to figure out those last 2 years if you want to.

Pretty Good