New England @ Buffalo by the Numbers

This is a little something YE OLE put together for his blog today while avoiding work. I know there are those amongst us who like useless analysis and trivia as much as YE OLE, so I thought I'd post it here as well for the masses. Enjoy, gents!

By The Numbers: New England @ Buffalo

Hey boys and girls, get ready to shock and amaze your friends at the tailgate on Sunday with obscure trivia! It's always interesting and sometimes pointless... it's time for Sunday's Matchup by the Numbers:

103: Sunday will mark the 103rd meeting between these AFC East rivals. The Bills won the first game in the series on Sept. 23, 1960 by a count of 13-0. Overall the Pats hold the edge with a 60-40-1 record all time.

15: The Bills have lost the last 15 games in the series.

5: Despite losing 15 in a row, the Bills have had their chances. Five of the 15 losses have been by 8 or fewer points.

54: The over/under on Sunday's game. The Bills come into the game with the league's highest ranked scoring offense, while New England ranks 1st in total offense at 563 yards per game. Defense could go out the window early on in this one... take the over.

19: The number of touchdowns the Bills and Patriots have combined to score in the first two weeks of the season... (see #54... take the over)

1: The number of times the Bills and Patriots have met in the playoffs. Despite having met 103 times in the regular season, they've amazingly only met once in the postseason. New England, led by Babe Perilli's 300 yards passing, won the contest 26-8. Jack Kemp and "The Mad Bomber" combined to throw 4 INT's in front of the home crowd at War Memorial Stadium. The year was 1963. Now there's some tailgate trivia for you!

8: The number of times the Bills have opened a season 3-0. A win Sunday would put the 2011 Bills in rare company as only the 9th team in franchise history to accomplish this feat. Despite the Dick Jauron/Trent Edwards collapse in 2008, the other 3-0 starts have yielded good results:

1964: 12-2 AFL Champions

1965: 10-3-1 AFL Champions

1975: 8-6

1980: 11-5 AFC East Champions

1988: 12-4 AFC East Champions

1991: 13-3 AFC Champions

1992: 11-5 AFC Champions

2008: No need to rehash that debacle

3946: The total number of points scored in this series dating back to 1960. The Patriots hold the edge here as well by a count of 2126-1820. Averaged out over the 102 games already in the books, that works out to roughly New England 21 Buffalo 18. But look at the bright side... the Bills are within shouting distance here. A few good seasons could wipe out that 306 point deficit in no time!

479: The number of yards New England is giving up per game. Did I mention that I really like the OVER in this game?! The once sturdy Patriot defense has shown to be vulnerable in recent years. This year does not look like an exception. This, in conjunction with the high octane offense the Bills have displayed in the first two weeks is, perhaps, the biggest reason to believe the Patriots winning streak will end on Sunday.

6: Over/Under on the number of times Teddy Bruschi will have to remind Ochocinco NOT to be in awe of Tom Terrific and EXPECT greatness.

42-35: My prediction... the Bills win a shoot out 42-35. GO BILLS!

This might be another no punt game!

YE OLE is expecting as much... but holds out hope that the D will harass Tombo. Unfortunately YE won't be at the game tomorrow, but is clearing some space in the living room to bust out a LIGHTS OUT dance or two, should the need arise.

Edited by Cotton Fitzsimmons

I'm not so sure. Wasn't everybody predicting a tight, low-scoring game last week against Oakland? Things never quite seem to go as everyone expects.

Rubes, my good fellow, you could be right. YE OLE wouldn't mind a good old fashion, take behind the wood shed, beat down to put a cap on this streak. What say you? What is the official Rubes prediction on this tilt?

Rubes, my good fellow, you could be right. YE OLE wouldn't mind a good old fashion, take behind the wood shed, beat down to put a cap on this streak. What say you? What is the official Rubes prediction on this tilt?

The official Rubes prediction is to expect the unexpected! And I think everybody pretty much knows what that means...

The official Rubes prediction is to expect the unexpected! And I think everybody pretty much knows what that means...

True dat, Rubes... TRUE DAT. As much as I believe in this team this year, it's hard not to be gun shy about this one. I'll never forget going to work the day following the '09 opener. I was a branch manager for a large bank, and had a staff of "casual" NFL fans, mostly female. All I heard all day were conversations of "Oh I just knew the Pats would pull it out they always win..." and "Tom Brady is so hot" For everything we've been through from Wide Right to the Music City debacle... I think I had as much anger that day in the fall out of that game than almost any time in my Bills fandom. We need this one tomorrow.