Madden: "First time in NFL history..."

scribo

How funny was it when Madden went on and on last night about the no-down-linemen formation the Pats used in the LOSING effort? Madden said about five times and eventually got Al Michael to agree that it was the "first time in NFL history" that the formation had been used.

I guess he didn't see the Bills do it against the Bengals Sunday. I guess he didn't see the Pats/Bills two years ago or all the coverage that followed.

The reason I think Madden should get some crap for this is because he acts and is treated like he is the foremost expert on football.

Madden deserves all the crap he gets. How about the times last night when he insisted that Brady was having trouble throwing to his outside receivers because "they play their safeties back here, see, and the corners are up here." Like press coverage was some novel defensive idea dreamed up to stop The Great Brady.

Missed it - can someone give me the x's and o's of the formation and play run from it?

170895[/snapback]

It was a defensive formation. The Pats lined up without anyone down on the line. Everyone was ina linebackers' stance. Feely couldn't tell who was coming and who was covering. The Bills just did it well and confused the hell out of Kitna.

How funny was it when Madden went on and on last night about the no-down-linemen formation the Pats used in the LOSING effort? Madden said about five times and eventually got Al Michael to agree that it was the "first time in NFL history" that the formation had been used.

I guess he didn't see the Bills do it against the Bengals Sunday. I guess he didn't see the Pats/Bills two years ago or all the coverage that followed.

The reason I think Madden should get some crap for this is because he acts and is treated like he is the foremost expert on football.

170886[/snapback]

The *funniest* part was that the sideline reporter talked to Belichek during halftime and asked him about that play. She then reported back to Madden that Belichek said he's run it multiple times in the past. Madden didn't really say anything about that... :)

I chuckled, because it seemed like she was shooting Madden down on purpose. Maybe that's just how I interpreted it though. Regardless, funny stuff.

CW

170886[/snapback]

I heard that too - he repeated it ad nauseum. I couldn´t believe what he was saying - come on, has he actually cared enough to pay attention to a game lately? The Pats have used such tactics for quite some time now, we used it last weekend... it´s not even something new.

The only thing that I can´t accept is his fat ass getting a fat check every weekend just because people believe he´s an expert. Most of the wallers here probably know more about football then Madden at this stage of his life... :)