Albany Newspaper Trashes Bills Nation

Harsh? Sorry if I was harsh. I did not mean to be harsh or show any disrespect to the Albany Bills fans. I would expect that there are a lot of WNY transplants in the area. How many are in your Albany Bills Backers chapter?

My past experience, which is way past (as in 1977 thru 1981), is that Albany is Giants territory, with some Jets fans too. Once upon a time we Bills fans were the subject of Bills jokes and slurs about Buffalo and Rochester from the good folks from the CD (kind of like in Ms. Gish’s article only 30 years prior). I am sure these fine citizens were only joking and there were no hard feelings either way, just college kid stuff.

My point about crossing Albany off the list as Bills territory is more geographical and is proven by the TV networks and which game the select to cover. Why would an Albanite (or is it Albanian?) drive 5+ hours to a Bills game when he can go to a Giants/Jets game in half the time? Do the Bills market heavily in the area like they do in Rochester and in Southern Ontario?

I go to Binghamton for business on occasion and watch Bills games with majority Jets and Giants fans in the sports bars. If I ever get to the fair city of Albany again I will look up the Albany Bills Backers. If you ever make it out to St. Louis please come watch the game with the Bills Backers in our town.

Cheers!

I personally am not a member of the Albany Bills Backers Club and do not know how many are former WNY transplants. I am also not a transplant from WNY. I grew up loving Western NY sports because my mom is originally from Cheektowaga so following any other team in football and hockey was simply not an option. I am sure that some of the Bills fans in this area are transplants from WNY, but most that I know were born and raised in this area like myself. Many also have season tickets and drive 5+ hours to see the Bills for every home game, regardless of the weather. Some of these diehards, whom I also consider to be some of my best friends, make the trek because they love Buffalo Bills football. There are numerous other fans that cannot make the trip out for Bills games but are still passionate about their team.

There are certainly more Giants fans in this area than Bills fans and the number of Jets fans in the CD is also greater, but certainly by a smaller margin. I think the margin between Bills and Jets fans in this area will close further as Buffalo continues to improve. During the glory years, Bills games were always televised in this area and even when their play declined, a local station (WNYT) would give fans the opportunity to vote on the game they wanted to watch. The Bills would be the choice in most instances.

Many Bills fans in this area took great exception to the article that was written by Ms. Gish. Some people on TwoBillsDrive felt that by responding to her, it would only give her greater exposure and attention. Maybe so. However, if someone bad mouths my country, I am going to communicate my displeasure with that individual. Same goes for my football team.

Next time you are down this way, send me a PM and we will meet up for a game. You can meet some of the warriors from the CD that bleed Bills red, white and blue. I will also take you up on the invitation if I am out in St. Louis. BTW, the best prime rib dinner I have ever had was in St. Louis. I stopped there overnight while I was driving across the United States to head to my first duty station on the west coast.

Take care Bob and GO BILLS!

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the margin between Bills and Jets fans in this area will close further as Buffalo continues to improve.

I think you mean presuming the Bills improve.

Also, the Jets have been in the AFC Championship game the past two years while the Bills haven't been in the playoffs for 11 seasons.

I wonder if Giants and Jets fans in Albany and elsewhere, if they're aware of this story, are laughing at us Bills fans?

People on this board need to calm down. We're 3-0 and two of those games went down to the wire and we won those two games by a total of six points. Both home games.

I think you mean presuming the Bills improve.

Also, the Jets have been in the AFC Championship game the past two years while the Bills haven't been in the playoffs for 11 seasons.

I wonder if Giants and Jets fans in Albany and elsewhere, if they're aware of this story, are laughing at us Bills fans?

People on this board need to calm down. We're 3-0 and two of those games went down to the wire and we won those two games by a total of six points. Both home games.

Yes Pearl, sorry I lost you but did not feel that I needed to specify "Bills" as they were referenced several times in the post.

Giants and Jets fans I have talked to are not laughing at us, in fact many felt the article by Ms. Gish was dumb and did not belong on the front page of the TU sports section.

BS WEO. good or bad, true blue bills fans defend their team against moronic posts by clueless writers.

I agree 100%. There still would have been a strong response regardless. No response, really?!?!

Yes Pearl, sorry I lost you but did not feel that I needed to specify "Bills" as they were referenced several times in the post.

I'm not lost. I'm saying that you're too presumptive. Especially when you consider the Bills record the past ten years and HOW we got to 3-0 by the skin of our teeth this season.

I'm not lost. I'm saying that you're too presumptive. Especially when you consider the Bills record the past ten years and HOW we got to 3-0 by the skin of our teeth this season.

I do not believe that I am being presumptive. I know what our record has been but taking into consideration the number of games we lost by 3 points or less last year and our level of play this year, I feel we have a legitimate team going forward. Have you heard me mention superbowl or playoffs once??? No. Our secondary is giving up too many big plays and the pass rush is just not there yet. I believe you would agree that we are going in the right direction.

As far as being 3-0, a win is a win Pearl, regardless of the number of points we won by.