Chicago Corruption

3rdnlng

• 2 weeks later...

Tried to roll over a union member's pension into an IRA. The union said the only way he could do that was to sign documents stating he will never work for that union ever again. You're !@#$ing kidding me?!?!?!?

:unsure:

Is that even legal?

There are two sets of ethics.

That's just great...

Is that even legal?

Who knows...it's a union we're talking about. They said it was because the union had fully funded the pension. I'll have to look through ERISA on this. I know ERISA covers vesting so maybe this plan has an infinite vesting schedule. :rolleyes:

Who knows...it's a union we're talking about. They said it was because the union had fully funded the pension. I'll have to look through ERISA on this. I know ERISA covers vesting so maybe this plan has an infinite vesting schedule. :rolleyes:

Make them put the requirement in writing.

There are two sets of ethics. Going to work everyday in the private sector knowing that you have to make pay... Doesn't bleed well if you transfer to public service... Old habits are hard to break.

:lol:

http://www.msnbc.msn...s/us_news-life/

I wonder how widespread this stuff is?

Well not quite that much but one of my reps has a client who retired as the head librarian for the county of Santa Clara (or the city, I forgot). She has pension at the age of 60 (and she may have gotten it before 60) that will pay her $150k per year with full medical benes. If she live to the age of 90 she'll have been paid a total of $4.5m not including the benefits. For a non-pension person in order to recieve $150k per year they'd need a nest egg of roughly $3mil.

Well not quite that much but one of my reps has a client who retired as the head librarian for the county of Santa Clara (or the city, I forgot). She has pension at the age of 60 (and she may have gotten it before 60) that will pay her $150k per year with full medical benes. If she live to the age of 90 she'll have been paid a total of $4.5m not including the benefits. For a non-pension person in order to recieve $150k per year they'd need a nest egg of roughly $3mil.

I remember I posted some time ago about the Illinois school administrator (I presume School Superintendent) who was due to retire in a few years with a pension of something like 600k. His pension in todays money was work 26 million and when they figured he would die he'd be making 1.3 million a year. There were many others not too far behind him.

Is that even legal?

That's just great...

Yes there is. Ethically speaking when it comes to law... In the private sector, do whatever is not probibited by law. Public sector, do only what is permitted by law. There is a problem with people crossing over between the two sectors... Especially the bigwigs that just don't get this.

I remember I posted some time ago about the Illinois school administrator (I presume School Superintendent) who was due to retire in a few years with a pension of something like 600k. His pension in todays money was work 26 million and when they figured he would die he'd be making 1.3 million a year. There were many others not too far behind him.

Stiff 'em. Let the lawyers sort it out! Let the media hype it as class warfare.

I actually thought that too... Anyway, gotta be some way to villify... Only thing left.

You don't vilify the person receiving the pension. They get it contractually. Hell I'd probably take it too. You vilify the people who agreed to those pension terms. And in the public sector that's the government.

You don't vilify the person receiving the pension. They get it contractually. Hell I'd probably take it too. You vilify the people who agreed to those pension terms. And in the public sector that's the government.

The free market principles. The school boards competing with other school boards. You are right, the gov't should have seen this and capped the salaries early on.

The free market principles. The school boards competing with other school boards. You are right, the gov't should have seen this and capped the salaries early on.

:w00t:

The government sees one thing and one thing only. Votes! "Gentlemen, we must protect our phoney baloney jobs!"