Hikers released by Iran...what do you think?

Beerball

Was he convicted of a crime?

Is that the best you can come up with? So are you saying that if you are not convicted of a crime, you should not be in jail? If that is what you are saying, does the same apply to Khalid Sheik Mohammed?

common man...the kinks had one questionable song...i don't think he should be in jail just for that....

lol nice levity Pooj

I am an intrepid traveler and love meeting backpackers more hardcore then me. Many of my friends have backpacked the Middle East, Africa, Central America, South America. It is about going off the beaten path. I give them mad respect. Visiting a country is the best way to understand it's culture and it's people. I would much rather see it first hand then read about someone else's experience. Iran would be fascinating to backpack if you could pull it off. And Iraq is the cradle of civilization. That too would be fascinating if you could do it safely. I am glad these backpackers are home safe

Intrepid traveler? Is that the new description for a guy who rides his bike while hammered?

Is that the best you can come up with? So are you saying that if you are not convicted of a crime, you should not be in jail?

Uh...yeah. :wallbash:

If that is what you are saying, does the same apply to Khalid Sheik Mohammed?

Different situation...for reasons that I'm sure are beyond your comprehension. (You might ask: should he be put on trial instead?)

None of which has anything to do with your hero-worship of two criminals as daring backpackers, of course.

"Hikers released by Iran...what do you think?"

"I am glad they are home safe"

oopsie...next time I'll try to fit the entire post in the title.

I know that this may sound cold, but...if you decide to go hiking along the Iran border I say that you get what you deserve. If these 3 felt safe enough to make the trip (despite US Government warnings) then they should live with the consequences.

We know that $1,500,000 changed hands. Does anyone believe that this is close to the actual money that was used to grease the skids of justice? How many times over that amount was spent in Oman? Behind the scenes in Iran? Elsewhere?

How many government hours went into gaining this release? How much money does that amount to? And on. And on. And on...

I think 3 hippies just got a lesson in how complicated the world outside Berkley's little "Utopia" really is.

Friggin hippies. I wonder what they think of the Iranian "culture" now. My guess is that if we refused the ransom Iran would have paid us to take them back.