Hikers released by Iran...what do you think?

Beerball

I know that this may sound cold, but...if you decide to go hiking along the Iran border I say that you get what you deserve. If these 3 felt safe enough to make the trip (despite US Government warnings) then they should live with the consequences.

We know that $1,500,000 changed hands. Does anyone believe that this is close to the actual money that was used to grease the skids of justice? How many times over that amount was spent in Oman? Behind the scenes in Iran? Elsewhere?

How many government hours went into gaining this release? How much money does that amount to? And on. And on. And on...

link

How many red flags can you find?

The three Americans are anti-war, social justice and Palestine Solidarity Movement activists.

They had been living and active in the Middle East.

Shane Bauer and Josh Fattal, both 29, who are friends from their days at the University of California at Berkeley.

Sarah Emily Shourd, who grew up in Los Angeles, California,[20] worked in education and social justice in Damascus, Syria. Shourd was released by Iran on September 14, 2010 for 5 billion rial[3] (about 465,000 US$)[4] bail.

Prior to traveling with the IHP, Fattal lived and worked at Aprovecho in Oregon, USA, exploring and promoting sustainable living practices.

Shane Bauer's website: http://shanebauer.net/

Since her release last year, Shourd has lived in Oakland, California. Bauer, a freelance journalist, grew up in Onamia, Minnesota. and Fattal, an environmental activist, is from suburban Philadelphia.

We've been bombarded with this story here in SF because the attended Beserkely. I have not seen anyplace that says who paid the ransom...I mean bail. So if the government paid it can I hit them up to pay my fine when I trespass on some private company's property? And BTW this is considered bail How the hell to you pay bail for someone AFTER they've been convicted??

I say thank heaven! We got two crack CIA operatives back. Leon Panetta and General Petreaus have to be thanking their lucky stars that the years of training and money spent on these two will not be in vain after all.

We can all sleep safer tonight knowing that our super-secret spy network is still intact.

I am an intrepid traveler and love meeting backpackers more hardcore then me. Many of my friends have backpacked the Middle East, Africa, Central America, South America. It is about going off the beaten path. I give them mad respect. Visiting a country is the best way to understand it's culture and it's people. I would much rather see it first hand then read about someone else's experience. Iran would be fascinating to backpack if you could pull it off. And Iraq is the cradle of civilization. That too would be fascinating if you could do it safely. I am glad these backpackers are home safe

I am an intrepid traveler and love meeting backpackers more hardcore then me. Many of my friends have backpacked the Middle East, Africa, Central America, South America. It is about going off the beaten path. I give them mad respect. Visiting a country is the best way to understand it's culture and it's people. I would much rather see it first hand then read about someone else's experience. Iran would be fascinating to backpack if you could pull it off. And Iraq is the cradle of civilization. That too would be fascinating if you could do it safely. I am glad these backpackers are home safe

And you feel that the minimum $1,500,000 ransom was money well spent? Is it OK if government funds were use to gain their release? Are the hikers not responsible for their actions?

And you feel that the minimum $1,500,000 ransom was money well spent? Is it OK if government funds were use to gain their release? Are the hikers not responsible for their actions?

umm where exactly did I say that? I can speak for myself, thank you, so don't put words in my mouth

And they're criminals who should be in jail. Only you would lionize them.