Ralph is cheap

JÂy RÛßeÒ

Its not the quantity of players, its the quantity of years left on Freddy's contract.

Fitz is just as respected and liked. He is in his LAST year.

Stevie is just as respected and liked. He is in his LAST year.

If you want the team to send a message, then they need to get those guys re-signed.

The rush IMO is because he has been playing underpaid and overachieving for three consecutive years. Four if you count this one. Of course there is no real need, because he has two years left. But that didnt stop them from re-upping Kelsay, Parrish, Schobel, etc.

The point is, they don't need to take care of Fitz and SJ first, they are independent of each other, and Freddy IMO is easily the easiest one to negotiate because it doesn't need to be tens of millions and it doesn't need to be long term.

The rush IMO is because he has been playing underpaid and overachieving for three consecutive years. Four if you count this one. Of course there is no real need, because he has two years left. But that didnt stop them from re-upping Kelsay, Parrish, Schobel, etc.

The point is, they don't need to take care of Fitz and SJ first, they are independent of each other, and Freddy IMO is easily the easiest one to negotiate because it doesn't need to be tens of millions and it doesn't need to be long term.

I dont disagree at all. My point is that the Bills FO are not evil, or inept, just because we arent rushing to throw cash at him.

The new FO has proved they will pay players. Freddie will get his. Maybe next week, maybe next year.

Im not vilifying the FO over it right now though.

Edited by DrDareustein

I dont disagree at all. My point is that the Bills FO are not evil, or inept, just because we arent rushing to throw cash at him.

The new FO has proved they will pay players. Freddie will get his. Maybe next week, maybe next year.

I agree for the most part. And I'm not at all vilifying the front office over it right now. I just think they should get it done.

He signed a contract extension prior to the 2009 season, hard to consider him underpaid for 2009 & 2010 when he was on a fresh contract that had been renewed before the prior one was complete.

I agree with this also.

Edited by Carey Bender

I am not one to defend the Bills FO, but didn't Freddie just get a new contract a year or two ago? I don't blame any organization for not wanting to redo contracts every other year, same thing that Jason Peters wanted. If I am correct, they gave Fred a contract that pays him much more than his original undrafted free agent contract did. On the other hand, a running back's career is normally so short, you can understand them wanting to cash in. Has Fred himself said anything about wanting a new contract or is it just TBD discussion?

I am not one to defend the Bills FO, but didn't Freddie just get a new contract a year or two ago? I don't blame any organization for not wanting to redo contracts every other year, same thing that Jason Peters wanted. If I am correct, they gave Fred a contract that pays him much more than his original undrafted free agent contract did. On the other hand, a running back's career is normally so short, you can understand them wanting to cash in. Has Fred himself said anything about wanting a new contract or is it just TBD discussion?

Yeah, he did during camp, it was a major factor in the whole "not starting during the Jags preseason game" fiasco.

He signed a contract extension prior to the 2009 season, hard to consider him underpaid for 2009 & 2010 when he was on a fresh contract that had been renewed before the prior one was complete.

He was not at all happy about that contract, the Bills had him over a barrel and they underpaid him. You have every right to believe he was fairly paid, it's only an opinion. There is no right answer. I personally don't think he was fairly paid, I think they should have gave him about a million more per year. I know for a fact that he didn't think he was fairly paid, even though he signed the contract and he was not the kind of guy to say bad things in the press about it.

It's easy to go back and find quotes to say he's happy he signed but to me it was always clear he wasn't happy with it. Most of the time he said he was happy it was over with, not that he was happy with the money. This year, for him to go public, you know he was furious because he's not that kind of guy.

Seemed happy enough at the time...

Snooze interview

The snooze article was exactly what I meant. I don't think he was happy at all from the quotes. Just the opposite from most of them. He agreed because that was all he was going to get. They had him over a barrel. The undercurrent to me then and now was that he thought he deserved much more. He didn't get it. Now he is happy it's over because it was ugly. He finally makes some money but not what he deserves or wanted. Now that it's over he can concentrate on football.

The snooze article was exactly what I meant. I don't think he was happy at all from the quotes.

"But Jackson is pleased with his deal.

"The terms that we came to, we didn't quite agree on in the beginning," he said. "You can say ere was some frustration at times, but I think that's part of the process.

Today's the day it's over and done with and now we have to play football."

At all? Sounds like typical contract signing player-speak to me...