Beginning to look like a player

Homey D. Clown

In my own opinion, I am starting to see that CJ Spiller has the potential to be a great player in the NFL. He is showing that he can get the ball down field, and that he is learning to take what he can get. I was never one who thought we had Reggie Bush 2.0

I saw this kid play in college, and thought if he can get acclimated to the speed of the pro game, he'd be a game changer. Now I know this seems like a bit of a stretch since the raiders game was the first time he has had an impact, but given the limited amount of touches he gets due to the stellar play of Fred Jackson, CJ's development may come a little slower.

Whatever you believe about him, I think we can put to rest the notion that he can't play in this league.

In my own opinion, I am starting to see that CJ Spiller has the potential to be a great player in the NFL. He is showing that he can get the ball down field, and that he is learning to take what he can get. I was never one who thought we had Reggie Bush 2.0

I saw this kid play in college, and thought if he can get acclimated to the speed of the pro game, he'd be a game changer. Now I know this seems like a bit of a stretch since the raiders game was the first time he has had an impact, but given the limited amount of touches he gets due to the stellar play of Fred Jackson, CJ's development may come a little slower.

Whatever you believe about him, I think we can put to rest the notion that he can't play in this league.

Agreed! What a good problem for a team to have!

I don't think Spiller will ever be "great" in the sense of a feature back that gets 30 carries a game, but he has the potential to be an amazing player if used correctly. The biggest difference this past weekend from week one in KC, is that coaches used him correctly. They didn't send him up the gut on short yardage, but got him in open space to use his speed, quickness and elusiveness. He can be a dangerous weapon, but there are certain things he cannot do, pounding the ball and blocking in the backfield are his liabilities. Get the ball in his hands outside of the tackles and watch out, he is at his best in those situations.

The most encouraging sign was that he did run into a few tacklers down field and didn't look like a pinball, and did this against a pretty physical LB corps, and secondary. It will take time, but I have loved this pick from day one, and it's just nice to have optimism about a high draft pick in Buffalo again(Dareus included).

I know things can get a little negative when our team hasn't made the playoffs in more than a decade, but I am more than happy with the direction this team is in, not Terry Pegula buying the Sabres happy, but happy none the less.

Regardless of their record this year, if they play this hard and with this much passion the rest of the season, I will be more than happy. For once you can see the players believe in their coach and one another.

Chan Loves this kid and thats because he's seen him in college and knows what he's capable of. The thing is he doesn't pick up the pass protection good. He needs to do this more to get on the field more. I think he is a great problem to have because he can be used in a slot and quick screens. I still think Fred is the Man and CJ will and can be used as an option. I do agree that this is such a great problem and still amazed how Chan the Man has put this club on top offensively so fast. Who would think they are leading the way so fast. I thought they be much improved but this good? I'm licking my chops for Sunday. Bring on those patsies

I agree he probably wont be a 30 touches a game guy.Maybe 15-20.

IMHO he should be used like San Diego and now N.O. are using Sproiles.

He should be returning kicks, and more or less a third down back.

I know he was a top ten pick. But Freddy has only gotten better since that draft.

Chan is going to work CJ in more and more. He has been holding back some of his play book. Lets hope he gets the chance this Sunday to bust it out. And CJ and Fred both get plenty of touches and keep Brady off the field as much as possible

I will admit, last week, I was openly hard on him, mostly for being a wasted pick so high, but after last Sunday, I was wrong. I don't believe any longer that he will be a draft casualty in another two years - he definitely has a place and if we keeps progressing, (gasp), may one day next year replace Fabulous Freddie Jackson in the feature role...

I woulda atribute that to play design/defensive confusion moreso than 'OMG ITS SPILLER AND WE NEED TO COVER HIM'

You know - I gotta agree with the person who wrote give thanks to CJ - like the LB's on split assignment, everyone in my section thought it was a swing to CJ in the flat...when both LB's went that route, we won. I am not thanking CJ mind you, if there is thanks to be given, (1) to Fitz for recognizing and (2) to the coaches for creating that opportunity. CJ was sadly just a pawn.

I woulda atribute that to play design/defensive confusion moreso than 'OMG ITS SPILLER AND WE NEED TO COVER HIM'

Of course the play was designed well. It was designed to send Spiller in motion across the left of the formation, hoping to draw attention. The result was that not one but two Raider defenders focused on CJ, blowing their coverage on Nelson and leaving him wide open.

Why didn't Chan have Freddy in the game in place of Spiller? Speed.

Of course the play was designed well. It was designed to send Spiller in motion across the left of the formation, hoping to draw attention. The result was that not one but two Raider defenders focused on CJ, blowing their coverage on Nelson and leaving him wide open.

Good catch.

If my memory serves me right CJ caught a pass out of this formation earlier in the game. Chan hoped the LB's would remember that play and bite on it. They did, and the Bills won. When is the last time we had a coach out smart another team? I think most H.S coaches could bamboozle Jauron.

No to first part, yes to second and third. ;) David Nelson was actually the guy in motion. CJ was just in the backfield and went out for a swing pass on the snap, and drew two men not one. The Raiders screwed up, but they were worried about his speed. It was what Chan said, and what Nelson said after the game.

I always thought he could be a very good change of pace back who's good for 10 or so touches a game. Unfortunately that type of player shouldn't be drafted in the top 10. I'm not sure I've ever seen anybody say he couldn't play in this league, just that he shouldn't have been drafted in the top 10.