2-0 Start In 2011

The Big Cat

NOTE: THIS IS NOT A PISS IN THE CORNFLAKES EFFORT TO DIG UP GHOSTS OF HEART ACHES PAST!

The 2008 season got off to a nationally touted, high octane start that had Bills fans giddier-than-all-get-out.

The first win of the season was a decisive "where did that come from?" against The Seattle Seahawks--western division winners from the year before who went on to have a miserable season (4-12) after their week one spanking from our Buffalo Bills.

The next win was a so-so win in Jacksonville. A close one, and one that got us all excited for high, back of the endzone lofts to James Hardy, the likes of which WE NEVER SAW AGAIN (sidenote, how do you think Fitz would have played with that toy? Methinks to much more efficacy than Trentative ever achieved).

The third one was a thriller at home to...you guessed it, the Raiders.

Then we beat up on the Rams, who truly sucked (see: 2011 Bengals).

Then Trent got his head ripped off, we went into the bye week, The Ralph lost its power in a home game against San Diego, but we reigned triumphant none-the-less.

Then Dickie J got his extension.

And then reality hit.

Hard.

Three straight losses to our division opponents and the wheels came crashing off.

Flash forward now to 2011, and already we're off to an eerily similar start--same spark, strange similar circumstances surrounding our opponents and grumblings about extensions abound (Fitz, Stevie, Fred).

**My thoughts to Bills Nation:

Will a win this week put to rest the skepticism that seeps into the enjoyment of this week and last week's wins?

Has 12 years without a playoff appearance truly soured our weekly outlook? Are we the abused dogs of the NFL? Forever scarred? Forever suspicious?

Or is this team for real? Is the past behind us? Does our beefed-up D truly represent a new era in Bills football? And how long until we know for certain?

After 12 years, does the concept of patience even exist in the psychology of a Bills fan?

I know we just won what could be considered one of the most exciting Bills games of the last half century, but in week 2...

I want this celebration to last, so I'm not ripping shots of Kool-Aid...yet.

We all know the feeling of having the wind ripped from our sails.

When will we know for certain that the curse has been lifted?

Edited by The Big Cat

Excellent, sensible post.

The only honest answer to this question is: We will not know, even if it happens, because when it does we will be waiting for the next, perfect moment that may never come. Until that moment, which may never come, all that we can have is happiness for small joys, hope in the face of disappointment, and persistence despite the realization that life will have both ups and downs until it ends at last.

Go forth with joy, hope, and persistence, and you need fear no curse.

Go Bills! :beer:

The only honest answer to this question is: We will not know, even if it happens, because when it does we will be waiting for the next, perfect moment that may never come. Until that moment, which may never come, all that we can have is happiness for small joys, hope in the face of disappointment, and persistence despite the realization that life will have both ups and downs until it ends at last.

I see that you called my "excellent, sensible post" and raised!

Holy ****

:worthy:

We know now. Because it's name was "Dickless" and he has been banished to the Land of Cleve.

This team will lose some games this year. I hope folks don't go into a panic when they do.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Will a win this week put to rest the skepticism that seeps into the enjoyment of this week and last week's wins?

Although we're only two weeks in, it's obvious this year's offense is much more dangerous in terms of imagination and ability to adjust than in 2008.

Even a loss this week --- assuming it's not a ridiculous drubbing --- won't kill my slight optimism, since I think the Jets and Dolphins can be had. I think this team could still scrape out seven or eight wins.

NOTE: THIS IS NOT A PISS IN THE CORNFLAKES EFFORT TO DIG UP GHOSTS OF HEART ACHES PAST!

The 2008 season got off to a nationally touted, high octane start that had Bills fans giddier-than-all-get-out.

The first win of the season was a decisive "where did that come from?" against The Seattle Seahawks--western division winners from the year before who went on to have a miserable season (4-12) after their week one spanking from our Buffalo Bills.

The next win was a so-so win in Jacksonville. A close one, and one that got us all excited for high, back of the endzone lofts to James Hardy, the likes of which WE NEVER SAW AGAIN (sidenote, how do you think Fitz would have played with that toy? Methinks to much more efficacy than Trentative ever achieved).

Then Trent got his head ripped off, we went into the bye week, The Ralph lost its power in a home game against San Diego, but we reigned triumphant none-the-less.

And then reality hit.

Hard.

Three straight losses to our division opponents and the wheels came crashing off.

Flash forward now to 2011, and already we're off to an eerily similar start--same spark, same and grumblings about extensions abound (Fitz, Stevie, Fred).

Has 12 years without a playoff appearances truly soured weekly outlook? Are we the abused dogs of the NFL? Forever scarred? Forever suspicious?

Or is this team for real? Is the past behind us? Does our beefed-up D truly represent a new era in Bills football? And how long until we know for certain?

After 12 years, does the concept of patience even exist in the psychology of a Bills fan?

I know we just won what could be considered one of the most exciting Bills games of the last half century, but in week 2...

This is exactly where I had us. I think most of us, who were optimistic early, were optimistic for sound reasons. I'm actually more encouraged by this victory because the Raiders were a test of how far the Gailey/Nix regime has come in their quest to be a big, physical, tough team. That's the kind of team that can play with the Jets and Pats.

In my preseason prediction, I had us going 10-6, but with us losing both games to the the Jets/Pats. I think it's quite possible that we win 2 of those 4, which will probably be offset with some unexpected losses. 10-6 is very doable.

It's understandable for Bills' fans to be wary. However, this is a different beast. This team has the best opportunity in years to win Sunday.

I like to think this team is alot better than that team but realistically speaking your right... after Sunday we could go downhill quick.

I will say I havent felt like our team could win every game and was so explosive on offense. The number of formations we have and matchups Gailey is able to create is unreal.

Last week Chandler was the Target and Oakland watched him this week. Yesterday we used Nelson and Johnson. Will it be CJ next week? He had a great game against the Pats* last year. Maybe Ruvell Martin will appear? Brad Smith has had some success against the Pats*.

I feel like our coaching is 100 times better this year than it was in 08 too. I like our odds but I'm going to be nervous until lights come on on Sunday

I am ecstatic about the beginning of the season but I can't truly believe things have changed until we beat New England. The joyous feeling everyone has had the last two weeks can be wiped out instantly with another loss to New England. The one exception to the last statement would be if the Bills lose the final drive of the game. That would mean they stood toe to toe w/ the Pats but came up a little short.

Are the Bills for real?

I don't think we will really know what we have until after week 9 the first game against the Jets. Even if we beat the Paties this week end I still will not be fully on board (the Barnett Express) and Billieving that this team is elite or on the way. We can beat the Paties. We've darn near done it at least once every year but have fallen short. So beating them once will not convince me. I'll be really getting my hopes up but I will not be fully on board.

Beat the Paties, play the Bengals, Eagals, Giants, and Redskins hard and win most of them, and beat the Jets, and I won't only be on board, I will be the conductor!

I love the two wins as much as anyone, but we can't get carried away, this is far from an elite team. We will lose several games this year, but the thing I love the most yesterday, was we were down 21-3 and I never felt we were out of it. That's a feeling I haven't felt in a long, long time. If we can go toe to toe with the Pats*, I'll be happy. If we actually beat them, I'll be very excited. A horrible, ugly loss and they are going to have to show was how they bounce back.

And then reality hit.

Hard.

Flash forward now to 2011, and already we're off to an eerily similar start--same spark, strange similar circumstances surrounding our opponents and grumblings about extensions abound (Fitz, Stevie, Fred).

Has 12 years without a playoff appearance truly soured our weekly outlook? Are we the abused dogs of the NFL? Forever scarred? Forever suspicious?

No season is the same in fact no week is the same. So there is no point in making a "dont get carried away" thread. Get carried away, who cares. Its a week to week league until your eliminated from the playoffs. Things are constantly changing.

Edited by TheTruthHurts

And then reality hit.

Hard.

Just enjoy the win and set your expections to "realistic" for next week against the Pats... The Raiders are the best team the Bills have beaten in a very long time. Bills are much better than the least few years, and in my estimation have a legit GM and legit head coach that are well on their way to executing their plan for NFL success. They still however have one of the toughest divisions in the league and a tough schedule.

I don't know the answer because I know know what 'the curse' is, but your quandary reminds me of a favorite scene from Semi Tough...

Friedrich Bismark: If you stay in this room, you're gonna get the training - you're gonna get 'IT'.

B.E.A.T. Woman: What's 'IT'?

Bismark: That's what you get.

Woman: How will I know when I've gotten it?

Bismark: You'll know.

Woman: Suppose I know that I haven't?

Bismark: That's how you'll know you have.

:wacko:

All I can suggest is, 'When you're not sure if the curse if over, that's how you'll know it is!'

19 and 0 baby!!!!! B-)