WR speed

eball

From the "Fan Friday" section of Chris Brown's blog on bb.com:

2 - Hi Chris, just wanted to know if you know what Donald Jones’ time was in the 40-yard dash? Lee Evans was a burner, and if the Bills are hoping to replace Evans, they better hope that one of those young receivers can at least be a speedy as Evans was. If the Bills lack a vertical threat, the opposing defenses will not respect our passing game as much. I will look forward to hearing your answer. Tony, Daytona Beach, FL

CB: Coming out of college, Jones was clocked at 4.49 in the 40. That’s above average speed and a player like that is capable of making plays downfield. Eric Moulds ran a 4.51 coming out of Mississippi State, and you remember the downfield plays he made in his career with Buffalo. Evans ran a 4.41.

---------------------

Not drawing any conclusions here; I just found those details interesting.

I think we can take comfort in the fact that blazing speed isnt a requirement for a stud WR. Some of the best receivers in history havent run great 40 times. Jerry Rice ran a 4.6 40 and he had a pretty good career. I think our WRs are fast enough to make big plays and thats all that really matters. I think we have a great group right now.

Clock time is interesting. I'm not sure how much of an indicator it is of actual speed.

I wish there was a way to measure acceleration from standstill, acceleration while running, acceleration in and out of cuts, etc. I would say these things are more important than straight ahead speed. For example, Wes Welker ran a 4.65, but man is that guy friggin quick from the block, and quick in and out of breaks.

Then there's the "second gear" people mention. Can someone be running full speed and then kick it up for a pace or two? Some can.

From the "Fan Friday" section of Chris Brown's blog on bb.com:

2 - Hi Chris, just wanted to know if you know what Donald Jones' time was in the 40-yard dash? Lee Evans was a burner, and if the Bills are hoping to replace Evans, they better hope that one of those young receivers can at least be a speedy as Evans was. If the Bills lack a vertical threat, the opposing defenses will not respect our passing game as much. I will look forward to hearing your answer. Tony, Daytona Beach, FL

CB: Coming out of college, Jones was clocked at 4.49 in the 40. That's above average speed and a player like that is capable of making plays downfield. Eric Moulds ran a 4.51 coming out of Mississippi State, and you remember the downfield plays he made in his career with Buffalo. Evans ran a 4.41.

---------------------

Not drawing any conclusions here; I just found those details interesting.

Yes, but he did that after their starting safety went down...

Berry went down very early. Hard to tell what Chandler could have done had Berry played the whole game. But very few teams have a S as good as Berry. Certainly not the Raiders.

at this point i am more interested in how well they run routes and catch (and hang onto) footballs. because speed is wonderful but discipline and consistancy i feel will serve our team better.

ya like how lee evans was consistant in catching deep balls everytime and disciplined in not getting in legal trouble or talking smack about buffalos lame offenses,

when donald duck drops his first second and third deep ball...or cant even get to them, maybe then we will just all just be happy he can "go over the middle" woop dee freakin dooo

We've got to be happy with our recievers. Roscoe is very fast, very quick also. Nelson is fast enough. S. Johnson has shown he is fast enough for the requirements of the job. Donald Jones reminds me of another Donald... Driver - they have similar body types, although Driver might be a little quicker, I'm not sure. It is really more what you do with your skill set than the skill set you have. That can't be truer than in football. Look at Fred Jackson and Spiller. No one will argue Spiller is more physically talented. Yet, Jackson's game last week, I think, should be saved, run for run, and used as a highlight clip on SportsCenter - had that been Hillis, or A. Peterson, everyone would be saying how dominant he is, how the guy is absolutely amazing, at how he is the best in the NFL at getting yards after contact. But, since he went undrafted and has been overlooked here for the likes of Marshawn and even sometimes Spiller, he just hasn't got the recognition he deserves.

I love the nature of our skill players on offense. It's what you do with it - and even Fitz fits that mold. Let's hope we keep doing great things with this team. That is the very epitome of why I watch football. I want to see guys overcome odds, beat "better" teams because they want it more, are more disciplined, and are tougher.

Go Bills!

When we drag race at the local 1/4 mile, alot of info is recorded and put on our timeslip. And this is pretty much the standard.

reaction time to the light. Usually measured in relation to a second. this is stat as to how long after the light goes green and the car breaks the lights.

0-60ft. This is important as heck. It relates to tire spin and how quick you can get out of the "hole" and then put the power down

The rest are measurements of speed and or time over markers throughout the 1/4 mile run.

Some cars come out quick but do not keep their momentum after the 1/8. some cars like mine need to stretch their legs and really come on in the second 1/8 and pull very hard to the finish line.

There are many differnt kinds of speed besides top speed or 1/8 mile speed. Stevie is like a 4.59 or something but he an seperates well.

Berry went down very early. Hard to tell what Chandler could have done had Berry played the whole game. But very few teams have a S as good as Berry. Certainly not the Raiders.

All Chandler has going for him hes 6'7 263 with sun dial speed. Raiders have shutdown the top Safeties in the the Afc West and Chandler is a big downgrade to them. Raiders have LB that aren't even good that I would let them cover Chandler all game. Why even waste a safety on him.

We've got to be happy with our recievers. Roscoe is very fast, very quick also. Nelson is fast enough. S. Johnson has shown he is fast enough for the requirements of the job. Donald Jones reminds me of another Donald... Driver - they have similar body types, although Driver might be a little quicker, I'm not sure. It is really more what you do with your skill set than the skill set you have. That can't be truer than in football. Look at Fred Jackson and Spiller. No one will argue Spiller is more physically talented. Yet, Jackson's game last week, I think, should be saved, run for run, and used as a highlight clip on SportsCenter - had that been Hillis, or A. Peterson, everyone would be saying how dominant he is, how the guy is absolutely amazing, at how he is the best in the NFL at getting yards after contact. But, since he went undrafted and has been overlooked here for the likes of Marshawn and even sometimes Spiller, he just hasn't got the recognition he deserves.

I love the nature of our skill players on offense. It's what you do with it - and even Fitz fits that mold. Let's hope we keep doing great things with this team. That is the very epitome of why I watch football. I want to see guys overcome odds, beat "better" teams because they want it more, are more disciplined, and are tougher.

Go Bills!

Your Wr's would lose a relay Race to Raiders secondary . S Routt 4.28 C Johnson 4.3 Tyvon Branch 4.41 M Huff 4.38 Wr Jacoby Ford 4.28 DHB- 4.3 Chaz Schilens 4.38 D Moore 4.38 5. L Murphy 4.4

Edited by Raiderjoe

Seriously, is there any reason whatsoever for players to run the 40 yard dash without wearing football equipment?

Granted, players would try to cheat by taking out pads and the like, but it would be simple to make a standard minimum requirement for the pads to be worn.

The 40 is one of the most misleading stats there is.

No safety in the history of the NFL can effectively cover a 6'7" TE. Heck - few players in the NBA could effectively cover him. The question is can he make the plays?

All Chandler has going for him hes 6'7 263 with sun dial speed. Raiders have shutdown the top Safeties in the the Afc West and Chandler is a big downgrade to them. Raiders have LB that aren't even good that I would let them cover Chandler all game. Why even waste a safety on him.

Your Wr's would lose a relay Race to Raiders secondary . S Routt 4.28 C Johnson 4.3 Tyvon Branch 4.41 M Huff 4.38 Wr Jacoby Ford 4.28 DHB- 4.3 Chaz Schilens 4.38 D Moore 4.38 5. L Murphy 4.4

good I hope your coach agrees with you! A football game aint a relay, so what is the point of that?

You better hope your players can win jump balls because the speed isn't going get them up high. And your wide outs don't scare anyone, Campbell just isn't consistent enough. And crazy al is the only one who thinks routt is worth the money. but goodluck with that.

Seriously, is there any reason whatsoever for players to run the 40 yard dash without wearing football equipment?

Granted, players would try to cheat by taking out pads and the like, but it would be simple to make a standard minimum requirement for the pads to be worn.

The 40 is one of the most misleading stats there is.

I completely agree, but unfortunately it's the only "speed" measurable they give us for players at the skill positions.