Spouse has Alzheimer's? Divorce them, start over.

Beerball

Alzheimers is awful. I've cared for numerous patients afflicted with it, but I've also been touched by the way their spouses and families (and friends) did anything BUT abandon them and "start over". I've been doing a lot of case management work lately, and one of the most rewarding aspects of my job is helping a mbr who has a spouse with Alzheimers learn about some of the resources available to them to help with their care. You can tell just by speaking with them how emotionally draining it can be to care for someone with this disease, but you can also tell that they love them just as much as they ever did.

Pat Robertson is a dikfuk.

Now, in the case of vaginal alzheimers, the man has every right to leave. :ph34r:

Alzheimers is awful. I've cared for numerous patients afflicted with it, but I've also been touched by the way their spouses and families (and friends) did anything BUT abandon them and "start over". I've been doing a lot of case management work lately, and one of the most rewarding aspects of my job is helping a mbr who has a spouse with Alzheimers learn about some of the resources available to them to help with their care. You can tell just by speaking with them how emotionally draining it can be to care for someone with this disease, but you can also tell that they love them just as much as they ever did.

Pat Robertson is a dikfuk.

Now, in the case of vaginal alzheimers, the man has every right to leave. :ph34r:

My Grandfather had Alzheimers before he passed. Married over 60 years to my Grandmother who literally looked like she could barely move at the end of it. I expected she would go shortly after. She was just so frail. She could barely function anymore. They loved each other as much as someone can love another, but to deal with that condition everyday, especially towards the end. It was like she was just as sick as my Grandfather was. She's been alive, happy, and healthy now for over 5 years. I would venture to say it has to be the hardest thing a couple can experience. Not having your physical body right is one thing, when the mind goes it's much, much worse. Keep helping people like you are. We need more people like you assisting people like her. Encouraging them, and letting them know that while hard to imagine, life is a blessing, and you can still enjoy the time your blessed with.

I'm concerned cases will only be elevated with the baby boomer generation. That demographic and subsequent ones dabbled in substances outside of just Alcohol more readily then the WW2 generation. Obviously that would lead me to believe the likelihood of developing the disease will only grow for subsequent generations.

I'm concerned cases will only be elevated with the baby boomer generation. That demographic and subsequent ones dabbled in substances outside of just Alcohol more readily then the WW2 generation. Obviously that would lead me to believe the likelihood of developing the disease will only grow for subsequent generations.

Did you ever see the demographic maps were it is more prevelant. Very much to do with diet. Very low in India where they eat a lot of curry!

Sort of tangential...but I sure wish there was an option to sign a release for euthanasia in the case of late-stage Alzheimer's and other dementia related diseases. I'd never want to put myself and family members through it and live my final years as a shadow of myself.

Don't worry.. We are all living a shadow of ourselves! :P