In this day & age of internet shopping/bill paying etc.

Beerball

I can't remember the last time I received a time sensitive document (meaning where an extra day or two would have made any difference) via the USPS. I haven't heard an argument yet for why we need six-day-a-week mail service.

I guess 'change' is now a bad thing.

Seriously, is this a sacred cow or what? Personnaly I could live with Monday/Wednesday/Friday delivery. FedEx, UPS or Postal Express if you need something critical.

Well, I didn't find this thread by accident...I search the board every day for the word cows or beef and just happened to find it...but, I just had this very conversation with my mom. She lives across the street and gets my mail every day. I do not think I have picked up my mail in 4 months. I pay my bills online and do not care how bad my Roth is doing or my mutual funds.

We do not even get a paper here but 5 days a week and I cannot imagine what it takes for the rural route drivers to deliver it anyway.

Seriously, is this a sacred cow or what? Personnaly I could live with Monday/Wednesday/Friday delivery. FedEx, UPS or Postal Express if you need something critical.

3/4 of what we receive is junk mail anyway. Yet the USPS continues to hemmorage.

Thoughts?

Lost $8.5B last year

I agree...but you know who it'll really hurt? Newspapers. Used to be, you got sales flyers inserted into the papers. Now - in DC at least - since subscriptions have dropped so much because of online content, they bulk mail them instead. What can they turn to when that distribution channel narrows?

["First-Class Mail supports the organization and drives network requirements. With the dramatic decline in mail volume and the resulting excess capacity, maintaining a vast national infrastructure is no longer realistic."

Really? How come I get about 10 items of unsolicited, unwanted junk mail for every "real" letter I rcv? Seriously, the ratio might even be worse than that.

Personally, I'd prefer to pay (substantially) more for wanted service in exchange for no/less unsolicited stuff. It's just so wasteful.

I'd start with dividing postal routes into 2 delivery zones, a Mon/Wed/Fri zone and a Tue/Thu/Sat zone. If you really need your mail every day, you can get off your fat ass and go pick it up at the post office.

Then let the postal workforce dwindle between attritrion and not hiring new postal carriers.

Then after the workforce has dwindled, eliminate the Tue/Thur/Sat zone and deliver mail only on Mon/Wed/Fri with pickup available Tue/Thur/Sat

Saturday can go.They need to cut back on the number of postmasters.

Why does everyone want to get rid of Saturday delivery? Why not keep Saturday delivery and eliminate OTHER days? If we're going to scale back, at least keep a day that is useful for most people. A lot of packages that ship via USPS require signature confirmation. By keeping Saturday delivery, you make it easier for people to get packages without having to go to work late or leave work early (during post office hours). In addition, a lot of people have no way of getting to the post office (think the elderly or people without cars), so Saturday delivery is useful.

Keep Saturday delivery, get rid of a few other days. All of the postal employees are union anyway, so why not?

Why does everyone want to get rid of Saturday delivery? Why not keep Saturday delivery and eliminate OTHER days? If we're going to scale back, at least keep a day that is useful for most people. A lot of packages that ship via USPS require signature confirmation. By keeping Saturday delivery, you make it easier for people to get packages without having to go to work late or leave work early (during post office hours). In addition, a lot of people have no way of getting to the post office (think the elderly or people without cars), so Saturday delivery is useful.

Keep Saturday delivery, get rid of a few other days. All of the postal employees are union anyway, so why not?

OH, @#!&!. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Great points!!

So they will wait until Saturday and only Saturday to delvier packages that need to be signed for? :blink:

Anything that I order that needs a sig (typically wine) I have delivered to my office. Problem solved.

Edited by Chef Jim

Having a family member as a relief carrier/sub, I hear a lot of the shop talk.

To me, cutting Wednesdays would make a lot more sense. It gives two days early in the week, a break, then another two business days and preserves a weekend day when as you point out, most people are active doing errands and such that they can't do during the week.

There's a purely practical reason why Wednesdays would be a more feasible option --- the pile-up of mail. The heaviest days already are always Mondays. If you cut out Saturdays, that will be then be an accurement of Friday third-class, and what people generate on Saturday and Sunday. It would make Mondays even more burdensome. Eliminating Wednesday would make it so that on either side of it, there will be a delivery, and spread out the load more evenly.

As to the fundamental question... yes, the postal service is losing its grasp on information exchange. But it is still a really fast, reliable means of moving paper and things around the country. You might not think of it, but the measure of a country is partly on how well its citizens can be reached --- centralization of government. There is any manner of things that basically have to be done by mail, because it's a common denominator --- everyone has an address (even a number of homeless!). Not everyone has a computer or the Internet. Census (I think the Census ought to be conjoined with the Post Office in order to save $); jury duty and summons; motor vehicle stuff.... Not to mention that it's important for many reasons for every person to be reached. Say, in case of a nuclear accident or attack. There's actually postal training materials where they will be the first ones to get potassium iodide or such treatment (and must not give it to anyone else, even their children), and then be the delivery method for everyone else. There's a lot of stuff the average person doesn't think of or see as to why the post office is still vitally important.