michael ruppert-anybody heard of this guy?

birdog1960

while this guy is possibly a paranoid schizophrenic, that doesn't necessarily make him wrong. he was compelling being interviewed in "collapse" a documentary on his theories on peak oil and it's eventual result of global collapse. happened on to it on netflix. i'm not usually into apocalyptic prophecies but this guy seemed just crazy and informed enough to potentially be right. anybody see it or have any opinions on ruppert?

while this guy is possibly a paranoid schizophrenic, that doesn't necessarily make him wrong. he was compelling being interviewed in "collapse" a documentary on his theories on peak oil and it's eventual result of global collapse. happened on to it on netflix. i'm not usually into apocalyptic prophecies but this guy seemed just crazy and informed enough to potentially be right. anybody see it or have any opinions on ruppert?

I seen some of his stuff before and he is both wrong and right - wrong because the earth is no where near it's carrying capacity in a theoretical sense - right because those theoretical limits can not be gotten close to in a world where greed, ignorance and fear based reactions reign supreme. Yes fossil fuels are going to get more expensive at some point but even now there continues to be large oil and gas finds and new techniques to extract much more oil and gas out of existing wells- more importantly homes/lighting/appliances can be built that would allow you the same level of comfort you now enjoy at one tenth the energy usage.

I seen some of his stuff before and he is both wrong and right - wrong because the earth is no where near it's carrying capacity in a theoretical sense - right because those theoretical limits can not be gotten close to in a world where greed, ignorance and fear based reactions reign supreme. Yes fossil fuels are going to get more expensive at some point but even now there continues to be large oil and gas finds and new techniques to extract much more oil and gas out of existing wells- more importantly homes/lighting/appliances can be built that would allow you the same level of comfort you now enjoy at one tenth the energy usage.

he didn't address the fuel efficiency angle in the movie and i hadn't thought about it much and that's a hopeful aspect. but do we really have the technology to decrease home energy consumption 90%? i looked into geothermal recently and while efficient it's nor that efficient. he did address the alternative sources being explored, for instance shale oil but said it was prohibitively expensive and no other technology was close to being developed enough to replace even a significant fraction of fossil fuels. what bothered me was his very plausible contention that the oil holding countries have a great incentive to overestimate reserves and historically have. that models of US reserves done 30 yedars ago were almost spot on for when we reached peak and when production would drop off a cliff. finally, his contention that every war since vietnam was really about oil. i didn't realize that sudan was about oil, for instance. it all fit together pretty nicely but of course that doesn't make it correct.

I've seen that.

He's one of those guys that's half got a point but the other half full of schit

i agree. i think he knows quite a lot but not near as much as he thinks. but that's a pretty common flaw, even on PPP!