Most Depressing Movie - What's your choice?

Mr_Blizzard

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Completely agree with Dancer in the Dark, extremely depressing movie. Could rival Requiem for the top spot.

I know I’ll probably be alone on this, but I think Requiem for a Dream is just a so-so movie. Something about Darren Aronofsky’s stuff just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I can’t put my finger on it, but I just don’t like the way he tells a story. It rubs me the wrong way.

Not to take away from Ellen Burstyn--she was great in it...simultaneously hilarious and heart-breaking.

"Fast Times at Ridgemont High." I'm not kidding. That movie depressing as hell. Always thought I was just weird until I met another person who felt the same way.

And "The Deer Hunter," of course.

Edited by GOBILLS78

Mulholland Drive

The Mist

And DC Tom - regarding your comment about 'On the Beach', I have read the book and seen the movie. While sad, it stopped short of being depressing time because it was centered around how people adjust to the impending doom and go after the bucket list with minimal fuss. Twistedly inspirational to me.

Schindlers List

I love Schindler's List, and while there are plenty of horrifying and depressing moments, I didn't feel depressed after watching it, because there is hope at the end of the movie. But I understand you choosing it.

Mulholland Drive

The Mist

And DC Tom - regarding your comment about 'On the Beach', I have read the book and seen the movie. While sad, it stopped short of being depressing time because it was centered around how people adjust to the impending doom and go after the bucket list with minimal fuss. Twistedly inspirational to me.

Excellent choice on The Mist. An underrated thriller that actually is depressing, and also a good adaptation of Stephen King's short story.

I saw this version of "The Champ" when I was 8. I thought I was going to die of sadness.

:cry:

When I saw this thread, I immediately thought of this movie. Like you I was very young and to this day, I don't watch movies/television that make me sad. I hate shows like Intervention, etc.

I guess being a kid and seeing another kid so distraught was powerful. :cry:

When I saw this thread, I immediately thought of this movie. Like you I was very young and to this day, I don't watch movies/television that make me sad. I hate shows like Intervention, etc.

I guess being a kid and seeing another kid so distraught was powerful. :cry:

I had the same experience with the "The Champ." I think I was about 7 when I saw it in the theatre.

:cry:

EDIT: It came out in 1979, so I guess I was nine.

Edited by gringo starr

Is that because Spicoli missed the prom or Jefferson's car was totaled? :unsure:

Ha. No, the teenage-girl-having-an-abortion-and-her-boyfriend-ditches-her angle is just a downer. But, that's life, so I guess if I find that depressing, I must be a real treat at parties.

Edited by GOBILLS78

"Fast Times at Ridgemont High." I'm not kidding. That movie depressing as hell. Always thought I was just weird until I met another person who felt the same way.

Tell me about it. I was so bummed after watching Porky's I couldn't get out of bed for a week.

Seriously though, The Road bothered me to no end. I found that movie to be disturbing and depressing.

Edited by Jauronimo