Sabres Owner/Management vs. Bills Owner/Management

My man crush on Pegula and Black grows by the day. He is the dream owner and hopefully owns the Sabres for a long long time.

He really does seem to have the absolutely ideal makeup from a fan's perspective:

-- deep pockets

-- doesn't care about profit margin (unbelievably rare)

-- caters to the fans in a genuine way

-- is a huge fan himself

and this one is key:

-- smart enough to let the hockey experts make personnel decisions

I'm really focused on football right now, but I'm similarly ecstatic over the Sabres' situation.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of what you've written is either hearsay or "urban legend" based upon folks repeating it over and over.

There is absolutely no evidence to suggest the Evans trade was dictated by "the accounting side" -- and as for what was obtained in return, please provide specific examples of higher draft picks obtained for a player with similar statistics as Evans.

Whether or not Fred Jackson has a "decent" contract is a matter of opinion, not fact. He was an undrafted free agent who already had his deal re-done once. We have no idea what discussions the Bills are having internally about a potential re-working of Fred's deal.

The Bills and Buddy Nix have NEVER said they won't be "active in free agency" -- they have said their priority is to build through the draft and add pieces via free agency that fit within the framework of what they're trying to accomplish. Buddy repeatedly says he won't "overspend" just to be flashy -- he only wants to improve the team. I'd suggest the acquisitions of Dwan Edwards, Nick Barnett, Kirk Morrison, Shawne Merriman, several O-linemen, and Scott Chandler provide ample proof the Bills are "active" and trying to make the football team better. That strategy doesn't fit with the "fantasy football" mentality of the average boneheaded fan (or local media), but that also doesn't mean it's not a legitimate way to build a competitive football team.

There is one consistent message coming out of OBD -- Buddy Nix makes the football decisions, period. If you don't like his strategy or judgment, that's your prerogative, but it's time to stop making schitt up or treating someone else's uninformed opinion as fact.

Urban legend, huh?

Russ Grimm, Brian Schottenheimer, Jim Harbaugh, and Leslie Frasier flat out refused to interview for the Bills HC job. For assistants who dream of becoming HCs one day, that statement is about as damning of ownership as you can get. You have people who are turning a shot at their dream due to the horrific employmeny conditions at OBD.

Fred Jackson didn't have his deal re-done. He was an ERFA when his contract was up, and the Bills held him over the coals because they could. He had no options besides re-sign with Buffalo or not play. His play has warranted a dramatic increase in salary over his current 1.75 million salary. He deserves and should be given an appropriate raise for his play, and to send a message to other players that good play will be rewarded.

Nix has said numerous times in free agency that the Bills will not be big players, and has stated that he was actually asleep at the beginning of a FA period. That says that the Bills are not committed to giving their all to win. Plucking trash off of other teams practice squad doesn't count as "signing players." Neither does waiting and hoping that other teams will cut players that might be useful to you. Building through the draft is great, but to be successful, you need to be active in free agency, something which the Bills are not. They are showing that they are content to possibly succeed in 2013 or 2014, not right away.

As for the accounting side running things, pull your head of the sand. The team has been run this way for years, and this offseason was no different. If you refuse to acknowledge this point, then you're the one who is being myopic.

The only strong message coming out of OBD is that the Bills aren't willing to do whatever it takes to win. It's not about being a "fantasy football" owner. It IS about identifying the talent out there and doing what you can to acquire some to fill the voids on your team.

But oh boy does ralphie love fans like you. Every year he invests a small amount into the team (but not enough to cut into his pre-determined profit margin), gets a new shiny object sometimes, promises "we're almost there, just need another year" and you come running to throw your dollars at him. Then when it fails, he changes coach/GM, and the cycle starts again.

Urban legend, huh?

Russ Grimm, Brian Schottenheimer, Jim Harbaugh, and Leslie Frasier flat out refused to interview for the Bills HC job. For assistants who dream of becoming HCs one day, that statement is about as damning of ownership as you can get. You have people who are turning a shot at their dream due to the horrific employmeny conditions at OBD.

Oh my god, it's just HORRIFIC at OBD. Do you realize how insanely ridiculous that sounds?

Fred Jackson didn't have his deal re-done. He was an ERFA when his contract was up, and the Bills held him over the coals because they could. He had no options besides re-sign with Buffalo or not play. His play has warranted a dramatic increase in salary over his current 1.75 million salary. He deserves and should be given an appropriate raise for his play, and to send a message to other players that good play will be rewarded.

Do you mean like when Kyle Williams was extended just a week ago? That kind of message? Or that they're currently working on extensions for Stevie and Fitz? Those kinds of messages? Geez, man. Fred will get his in due time.

Nix has said numerous times in free agency that the Bills will not be big players, and has stated that he was actually asleep at the beginning of a FA period. That says that the Bills are not committed to giving their all to win. Plucking trash off of other teams practice squad doesn't count as "signing players." Neither does waiting and hoping that other teams will cut players that might be useful to you. Building through the draft is great, but to be successful, you need to be active in free agency, something which the Bills are not. They are showing that they are content to possibly succeed in 2013 or 2014, not right away.

As for the accounting side running things, pull your head of the sand. The team has been run this way for years, and this offseason was no different. If you refuse to acknowledge this point, then you're the one who is being myopic.

The only strong message coming out of OBD is that the Bills aren't willing to do whatever it takes to win. It's not about being a "fantasy football" owner. It IS about identifying the talent out there and doing what you can to acquire some to fill the voids on your team.

But oh boy does ralphie love fans like you. Every year he invests a small amount into the team (but not enough to cut into his pre-determined profit margin), gets a new shiny object sometimes, promises "we're almost there, just need another year" and you come running to throw your dollars at him. Then when it fails, he changes coach/GM, and the cycle starts again.

Clearly you've been brainwashed by the "realists" who support your conspiracy theories, and nothing I say can change that. I'll continue to request proof that Ralph is dictating personnel decisions based upon cost-saving motives. I wrote to Chris Brown recently and asked some of these very questions. While obviously he is employed by the Bills (I can hear the murmurs now -- he must be lying), his answer was unequivocal -- Buddy Nix makes all of the football decisions. Period.

Either believe it or don't. I happen to like what has happened over the past 20 months. Sorry you can't enjoy it.

I love both these teams, and I don't want to "pile on" the Bills...but did you see this? Just more evidence that Sabres fans own the Buffalo Sabres. Pegula and Black seem to take fan input seriously...great promotion the Sabres are running for "slug appreciation day":

http://sabres.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=588468

:thumbsup:

Edited by Buftex

stay in taiwan!!! we fans may be upset at times but would welcome with open arms and beer a player at our door delivering tickets.go make some more american flag stickers :thumbdown::censored::wallbash::sick:

I don't think you got his point, either. He's not talking about the players being jerks; he's talking about the fear of non-whites that is, unfortunately, pervasive throughout WNY. See above. (You also could just read the comments in any online Buffalo News article any time a non-white person is arrested for a crime in the Buffalo area.)

Pegula- passionate to his favorite team, no guarantees he will win the cup but no one can deny he's supplied any and all resources he can

Wilson- loyal to the area even moving games to Toronto, wants to win but never at the expense of profit, sadly I feel he is longer mentally competent

Sadly from something I heard the other day from a person in the know, I agree.

stay in taiwan!!! we fans may be upset at times but would welcome with open arms and beer a player at our door delivering tickets.go make some more american flag stickers :thumbdown::censored::wallbash::sick:

Right, like how well Marshawn Lynch did in Hamburg :rolleyes:

Aaaaanyways, back to The Man, The Myth, The Legend, T-Pegs...

Just saw this online:

When asked how much money he has spent since he purchased the franchise Pegula said, "I don't

know the number. I don't care."

It's very unfair to compare Ralph to Pegs. I mean what owner in sports history is like Terry Pegula? Ralph is a lot of things but I do think he cares about the Bills doing well. His problem, unfortunately, is hiring the right people. He gave Donahoe all kinds of control and that failed. Then he turned to his last SB-reaching coach and that failed harder. Now I think he hit the nail with Nix. Plus Ralph was never a multi-billionaire who can toss millions around like they were quarters. I just hope Ralph lives long enough to achieve the ultimate goal.

But be happy we have one dream owner instead of bitching we don't have two.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

It's very unfair to compare Ralph to Pegs. I mean what owner in sports history is like Terry Pegula? Ralph is a lot of things but I do think he cares about the Bills doing well. His problem, unfortunately, is hiring the right people. He gave Donahoe all kinds of control and that failed. Then he turned to his last SB winning coach and that failed harder. Now I think he hit the nail with Nix. Plus Ralph was never a multi-billionaire who can toss millions around like they were quarters. I just hope Ralph lives long enough to achieve the ultimate goal.

But be happy we have one dream owner instead of bitching we don't have two.

PTR

Insightful post, PTR. Anyone who thinks Ralph doesn't want to win is out to lunch. He has made BAD DECISIONS throughout the course of his ownership of the Bills, striking lightning thrice (Saban, Knox, Polian) but making a lot of mistakes before and since. If Donahoe had hired a real HC rather than someone he was "comfortable" with who knows what the franchise might look like right now? Marv as GM was a horrible experiment. It's not Ralph's cheapness that has kept the Bills from being consistent winners -- it's his hiring decisions. We finally are showing signs of building a real football team -- it would be nice if folks can try to enjoy it, particularly when things are looking so fantastically rosy across town.

This whole thread is such a delightfully apt picture of a prevalent WNY mentality: every silver lining has a cloud.

There is simply no piece of good news that cannot instantly be turned into a gripe.

The Sabres have a great new owner! Yay! Now we have another reason to say Ralph Wilson is awful!

I just love you people. Really I do.