Reality vs Expectations

Simon

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one here that didn't get what he expected on Sunday. Most of us expected them to be greatly improved, if not necessarily great yet.

But what I didn't expect was to see such great play out of the Bills secondary already.

While most of us probably expected outstanding play from the front 7 to cover for a very ordinary set of DB's, the reality was that the Bills DB's stood up very, very well all on their own. It didn't take long to realize that the Bills defensive gameplan was to focus its attention on holding down the Chiefs groundgame. It looked like every single guy's primary key was to put both eyes on the ground game and keep them there, foregoing a heavy pass rush in the process, particularly off the edges. And sure enough, we didn't get a ton of pressure on Cassell, just enough to let him know they were around. Yet time and time again we saw Cassell pulling the ball down because he didn't have anywhere to go with it. While it didn't necessarily lead to a big pile of coverage sacks, it led to a hell of a lot of coverage incompletions. Is it a function of finally having some semblance of continuity at three of the starting positions? Is it a function of the Bills no longer regularly putting a pigeon on the field with Corner gone? Is it a function of the defense having a more definitive style with Wannstedt aboard? Likely a combination of all 3, and a bunch of other things I haven't even considered.

Whatever the case, the reality is that the Bills secondary was fantastic on Sunday and I thought they deserved their own thread for it.

If they continue to play as well as the Front7, this D could really deal out some damage this year.

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one here that didn't get what he expected on Sunday. Most of us expected them to be greatly improved, if not necessarily great yet.

But what I didn't expect was to see such great play out of the Bills secondary already.

While most of us probably expected outstanding play from the front 7 to cover for a very ordinary set of DB's, the reality was that the Bills DB's stood up very, very well all on their own. It didn't take long to realize that the Bills defensive gameplan was to focus its attention on holding down the Chiefs groundgame. It looked like every single guy's primary key was to put both eyes on the ground game and keep them there, foregoing a heavy pass rush in the process, particularly off the edges. And sure enough, we didn't get a ton of pressure on Cassell, just enough to let him know they were around. Yet time and time again we saw Cassell pulling the ball down because he didn't have anywhere to go with it. While it didn't necessarily lead to a big pile of coverage sacks, it led to a hell of a lot of coverage incompletions. Is it a function of finally having some semblance of continuity at three of the starting positions? Is it a function of the Bills no longer regularly putting a pigeon on the field with Corner gone? Is it a function of the defense having a more definitive style with Wannstedt aboard? Likely a combination of all 3, and a bunch of other things I haven't even considered.

Whatever the case, the reality is that the Bills secondary was fantastic on Sunday and I thought they deserved their own thread for it.

If they continue to play as well as the Front7, this D could really deal out some damage this year.

Totally agree. BTW - did you realize that Fitz has thrown four TD passes in a game three times in only 11 starts with the Bills and that he is one of only 3 Bills Qbs to throw 4 or more TDs in a game 3 or more times ( Kelly and Ferguson being the others)

Edited by stevecana

The most interesting defensive stat to me was that the Chiefs completed 22 passes (out of 36 attempts) for a total of 105 yards, averaging 2.8 yards per pass play. That is almost unbelieveable. It's almost impossible, I would say, to complete that many passes for that little yardage without it being a matter of taking a huge number of sacks. But it wasn't because of lost yardage on sacks.

What that tells me is that the Bills' coverage was outstanding, that they completely squelched the Chiefs' passing game. 2.8 freakin' yards per pass play? If the Bills can do that, and hold teams under 120 rushing yards per game, they are going to win some games this year.