Defensive Statistics

cmjoyce113

I posted this in another thread but thought people might be interested in seeing the information I gathered. I think the best part about these stats is that we did give up some big plays but overall we had a consistent performance with great stops.

Below you will see the play by play starting in the 1st quarter for all run plays the chiefs had. Hash marks will separate the series.

1-10-KC 28 (11:37) J.Charles left end pushed ob at KC 32 for 4 yards (J.Byrd)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2-10-KC 20 (8:08) J.Charles up the middle to KC 23 for 3 yards (N.Barnett).

1-10-KC 14 (6:09) J.Charles left tackle to KC 18 for 4 yards (S.Merriman).

1-10-KC 20 (:55) J.Charles left end pushed ob at KC 42 for 22 yards (B.Scott).

1-10-KC 42 (:26) (Shotgun) J.Charles up the middle to KC 42 for no gain (C.Kelsay)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2nd quarter

1-10-BUF 37 (13:51) (No Huddle, Shotgun) T.Jones up the middle to BUF 36 for 1 yard (M.Dareus).

1-10-BUF 21 (12:53) (No Huddle, Shotgun) J.Charles right guard to BUF 19 for 2 yards (G.Wilson).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1-10 KC 18 (6:37) J.Charles right end to KC 21 for 3 yards (G.Wilson). FUMBLES (G.Wilson), RECOVERED by BUFL.

McKelvin at KC 21. L.McKelvin to KC 21 for no gain (J.Charles).

Kansas City challenged the fumble ruling, and the play was Upheld. (Timeout #1 at 06:27.)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2-10-KC 19 (5:28) (Shotgun) D.McCluster up the middle to KC 21 for 2 yards (M.Dareus)

2-9-KC 31 (3:56) (No Huddle, Shotgun) D.McCluster left tackle ran ob at BUF 46 for 23 yards (D.Florence).

1-10-BUF 46 (3:28) (No Huddle, Shotgun) T.Jones up the middle to BUF 44 for 2 yards (G.Wilson).

2-8-BUF 44 (2:55) (No Huddle, Shotgun) J.Charles up the middle to BUF 30 for 14 yards (J.Byrd).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3rd quarter

NO RUSHING ATTEMPTS

4th Quarter

1-10-KC 16 (11:43) (Shotgun) J.Charles right end to KC 21 for 5 yards (D.Batten).

1-10-KC 31 (10:37) (No Huddle, Shotgun) J.Charles up the middle to KC 30 for -1 yards (D.Batten).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2-11-KC 19 (6:05) (No Huddle) D.McCluster up the middle to KC 24 for 5 yards (G.Wilson).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1-10-KC 31 (:59) J.Battle up the middle to KC 35 for 4 yards (K.Morrison).

2-6-KC 35 (:22) (No Huddle) J.Battle right end to KC 38 for 3 yards (Sp.Johnson).

In looking at this what's amazing is they gave up 3 runs of 23,22,14 for a total of 59 yards. That means on the other 15 attempts they averaged 3.26 yards per carry.

The same goes for the passing - They had plays of 20,15,15,15,12,11,10 - For 98 yards. Out of the other 29 Pass Attempts - 15 completions they gained 21 yards.

On those pass attempts they averaged under 1 yard per attempt.

Now let's look at Drive Production ....

5 plays - ending in punt

4 plays - punt (3 and out)

10 plays - missed FG

1 play - fumble

11 plays - TD

5 plays - punt

5 plays - intercetption

6 plays - punt

5 plays - punt

2 plays - end of game

All in all I would say that is a great defensive performance.

On the run defense, I am holding judgement, personally.

I think because we got ahead really early, we weren't really tested. Early in the game we gave up three big runs, that would have continued as the game went on if it were closer. The Bills still need to work on their Run D.

Are they better? I think so. But are they good enough? I'm not convinced yet.

---

Pass defense, we were spectacular, imo. A lot of good coverage, and ok pressure by mostly 4 man rushes.

Edited by Dorkington

bumping this for everyone saying our Run D hasnt improved or that they werent tested...

I posted this in another thread. The two longest runs came when Carrington was playing down at RDE (the runs went to his side). If someone looks at the film maybe they can add more, but it looked like Carrington failed to set the edge on the first one (or possibley was held?), and on the second was pushed out of the way as dexter ran between the G-T. I believe Barnett almost got him, but got caught between players.

These two runs could be the result of Carrington's inexperience? Maybe with Merriman in, the results would've been different on thsoe two plays?

Either way, the run D was significantly better, and will continue to get better.

I posted this in another thread. The two longest runs came when Carrington was playing down at RDE (the runs went to his side). If someone looks at the film maybe they can add more, but it looked like Carrington failed to set the edge on the first one (or possibley was held?), and on the second was pushed out of the way as dexter ran between the G-T. I believe Barnett almost got him, but got caught between players.

These two runs could be the result of Carrington's inexperience? Maybe with Merriman in, the results would've been different on thsoe two plays?

Either way, the run D was significantly better, and will continue to get better.

I believe that's exactly what happened as well. AC lost contain on the first one and we can't forget that Charles is an elite talent. Once he gets to the corner, he's going to make the best defenses pay. On the second run, AC actually kept his contain but Barnett was late to the party. Our MLB MUST make that play.

Interesting question on Merriman. Someone made the point in another thread but it seemed as if Merriman's first responsibility was to maintain contain as opposed to getting up field. I was wondering why KC didn't test him more after he was injured but they seemed not to want to run to Merriman's side.

GO BILLS!!!

On that portion of the drive drive when McCluster went for 20+ we had the whole second team line in. Spencer Johnson was in. Edwards was playing DT. Kelsay was playing DE. And Carrington as the OLB/DE. It was also 2nd and long and we had A Williams in as a third CB as well as Bryan Scott. Don't think you could blame that too much on our run D, although we did give it up.

On the next longer run by Charles for 10+ it was the second teamers plus Battan.

On that portion of the drive drive when McCluster went for 20+ we had the whole second team line in. Spencer Johnson was in. Edwards was playing DT. Kelsay was playing DE. And Carrington as the OLB/DE. It was also 2nd and long and we had A Williams in as a third CB as well as Bryan Scott. Don't think you could blame that too much on our run D, although we did give it up.

On the next longer run by Charles for 10+ it was the second teamers plus Battan.

The first run by Charles for 22yds came on first and ten just after the Bills scored their second TD, with just under a minute in Q1. I really don't know who else was on the line for that one, as I only saw AC not contain (the edge). I'd be interested in that breakdown.

As for Dexter's big run later, AC did force it inside, and the LBs had to make that play (but didn't), as someone else suggested.

I posted this in another thread but thought people might be interested in seeing the information I gathered. I think the best part about these stats is that we did give up some big plays but overall we had a consistent performance with great stops.

All in all I would say that is a great defensive performance.

Really nice summation, Thank you!

What he said

Yep, great point. I specifically remember one of the runs Carrington rushed up past the play and needed to shed off the block and sink down and charles or mccluster went right through his gap. Hopefully Carrington will get better with experience.