Drunken thoughts after the game

Kelly the Dog

I think it was a combination of the fact that the Chiefs are not that good, and the Bills, if they do what they need to, are way better than people think.

Everything i wanted to happen, happened. No one give Fitzpatrick enough credit for what he can do on this team. it's not like he had time, he had two seconds to throw instead of three. But he is so good at reading the defense pre-snap, that he was great in this game spreading it around. Chandler, if he can do what he did, is a huge advantage.

Idiots will say we didn't need Lee Evans today. We did not go down the field one time. Gailey is an amazing offensive coordinator and he took full advantage. Freddy was ficking great. If he was on a great team he would be a !@#$ing star. We have a lot of really good skill players and Fitz knows how to spread the ball around. But our line played good and they still suck. We didn't have one seven step drop the whole day and only a couple fives. Fitzpatrick was fabulous in this offense.

We have five talented players on on the outside, two good backs, and Brad Smith is unbelievably important to be able to get third and ones whenever we want. That guy could have ten yards in stats and be one of our most valuable players.

Chan was great today. As was the Edwards/Wanny version of the defense.

Merriman, even without a sack, allowed Dareus and Williams to play one on one each play and you figure that one of the two will beat his man almost every play, which is what happened. Barnett was a stud on pass plays even when the guy caught the ball. Byrd and Wilson are able to storm the line because they don't have to worry about the QB having all day.

Byrd is going to be a stud this year, IMO.

Fans don't give Fitzpatrick enough credit, IMO. he was amazing in this game. We didn't throw one ball downfield. We had time only for 10 yard passes. He spread the ball around to everyone.

There is no way that Gailey doesn't care about TEs in his offense. He uses what he has at his disposal. Chandler was probably the biggest revelation in this game and if he can just do what he does, suddenly the whole offense is dangerous.

The Edwards/Wanny defense, not a 3-4, not a 4-3, is a revelation. Barnett is way better than Poz, only because half the plays are pass plays.

Bryan Scott had a great game too.

Scott made some nice tackles and mckelvin was very active keeping kc wr's off balance

Last year we had good stats for our pass defense but we couldn't stop anyone. Stats were so misleading on this defense. The year before we had a bunch of interceptions but that wasn't a good indication of our defense either. Teams, for the most part, could do what they wanted against us when they had to.

I don't think we know what we have with McKelvin, Florence, McGee and Williams, along with Byrd and Wilson because we have never really had a good pass rush. Schobel was decent but in 10 years, we have never had a consistent rush. I don't think people understand what a difference Merriman makes even if he does not have a sack. Kyle and Dareus should be able to put pressure up the middle. Makes a world of difference.

Totally agree with your synopsis of the QB and OL and it pretty much aligns with what I've been arguing for years now - good QB play makes pass protection look better than it is. People are saying the OL played great. IDK, they were not bad and they were better than I thought. But that's about as much as I'm willing to give them. I mean watch the 2nd Chandler TD - if that's any other Bills QB in the last 10 years you're looking at a sack and potentially a game-changing fumble and everyone is screaming bloody murder about how horrible our line is and my personal favorite "Joe Montana would get killed behind this line" posts.

Edited by BuffOrange

Totally agree with your synopsis of the QB and OL and it pretty much aligns with what I've been arguing for years now - good QB play makes pass protection look better than it is. People are saying the OL played great. IDK, they were not bad and they were better than I thought. But that's about as much as I'm willing to give them. I mean watch the 2nd Chandler TD - if that's any other Bills QB in the last 10 years everyone is screaming bloody murder about how horrible our line is and my personal favorite "Joe Montana would get killed behind this line" posts.

Exactly. They played great for them. It's foolish to say they played great. Fitz was unbelievable in this game. His pre-snap reads are great. He decides where he is going to go with it and he throws it immediately. There are better QBs in this league than Fitz that would be way worse than Fitz on this team. He's pretty much the perfect QB for it, outside of the true studs. Even a guy like, say, Philip Rivers, who is known and regarded as a very good QB in this league, for good reason, I don't think would be any better than Fitz is on this team. We have a bunch of weapons, but he has no time. he just makes quick decisions and gets the ball out and is fearless.

That TD pass to Donald Jones was extraordinary. Watch the replay from behind the line.

Exactly. They played great for them. It's foolish to say they played great. Fitz was unbelievable in this game. His pre-snap reads are great. He decides where he is going to go with it and he throws it immediately. There are better QBs in this league than Fitz that would be way worse than Fitz on this team. He's pretty much the perfect QB for it, outside of the true studs. Even a guy like, say, Philip Rivers, who is known and regarded as a very good QB in this league, for good reason, I don't think would be any better than Fitz is on this team. We have a bunch of weapons, but he has no time. he just makes quick decisions and gets the ball out and is fearless.

That TD pass to Donald Jones was extraordinary. Watch the replay from behind the line.

Agreed. Loved the game but the line didn't play great if a lot of the game plan had to revolve around hiding them.

This makes sense, whens the last time they put up points like that on the Stillers

Well, I was being extremely sarcastic about my comment but I'll have to say regardless of how many points they put up or how thier other WRs or RBs played i still want more out of my suppose-ed number 1 WR. And to be fair it was more the Ravens D, or lack of any offensive cohesiveness on the Steelers O that gave up 7 turnovers that allowed the Ravens to score so much. At the end of the day Flacco still only threw for 224yards and 3TDs. It's not bad but nothing he wasn't doing almost every week before he ever had Evans. Just saying.

Who ever said Evans was the Ravens #1 receiver? They have this Boldin guy you know.

Not bad for a drunken purge, Kelly. I'd love to see Byrd play like this all year...three or four big tackles for us in the 1st quarter alone.

Edited by Big Bad Boone

I did not get to see whole game (DirectTV issues, despite some claim how great it is they screw up pretty often and refuse to give credit to customers when they do) but I agree with your analogy and will take it one further, When was it when offense APPEARED to look better under another QB and the QB was just right for offense? When Flutie was making plays out of busted line assignments and only when teams played solid ball control did they look ordinary and took away his 'magic'. I am wondering when same thing will happen with Fitzpatrick - how long before teams realize that the way to beat him is play solid coverage on all the immediate plays and just beat Bills with pressure that line can not handle? I think Fitz has shown he is willing to throw long and into coverage but I think that has limitations if a good defense schemes against it,