Erie, PA is considered a Bills market

Many years ago when I lived in Fredonia, the blackout rule wasn't measured by if the signal could reach within 75 miles of the game and Erie was far enough away that they would show the game even when the Bills were blacked out on Buffalo TV. So if there was a blackout I would adjust the antenna, turn on the Erie station and watch the Bills game.

I have a lot of family there and I can tell you for a fact that it is steelers country to be sure.

I can also say with complete confidence that PTR speaks the truth :)

I've never actually been to Erie. I just think the slogan is funny. Ranks right up there with Concord, NH's "City in a Coma." Been there and it's pretty correct.

PTR

I've never actually been to Erie. I just think the slogan is funny. Ranks right up there with Concord, NH's "City in a Coma." Been there and it's pretty correct.

PTR

We were in WNY over the 4th of July and took the kids to Waldameer Park in Erie. They loved it so I have nothing bad to say about it. :)

BTW, that's R. Rich's hometown.

GO BILLS!!!

I worked in Erie for 5-6 weeks last fall and I can tell you the for now, it's a Steeler town. But according to a bunch of the locals I met that'll change as the Bills and Browns improve. There's always a dedicated bunch for each team and a larger group of bandwagon riders that follow whoever's good at the time. For now, that's the steelers. Our day's coming......

And.... it might be the "mistake on the lake" but if you spend a little time there you'll find it's actually a decent town with good people and nice neighborhood bars. I've worked in towns that were much worse.

PTR

You would be surprised what it actually has to offer. Presque Isle State Park gets 4 million visitors a year. There must be something that attracts them. Naybe it's the eleven miles of beaches or the steelhead fishing. It has a very well regarded symphony, hockey arena (OHL team), new ballpark with an AA team. A brandnew bayfront convention center and many wineries. There are a lot of fine golf courses, a ski resort nearby and a downtown bar scene that is pretty lively. There are 3 colleges/universities in the area in addition to several trade schools. There is a tall ship permanently berthed on the bayfront. The City itself also gets much less snow than Buffalo.

http://www.erieevents.com/

I've got family in Bradford, PA. That's solidly a Bills area.

Bradford indeed I am 40 minutes east from there. Erie not so much, I spent four years in college in Erie and it was definitely Steelers country. It is equal distance between erie and Buffalo as Erie and Pittsburgh. I would only imagine it worse now that the Steelers have been good and the bandwagon is in full swing.

Dreary Erie...Mistake on the Lake. :D

PTR

I always heard and equated the slogan "Mistake on the Lake" to Cleveland, OH.

This is the first time I have seen it being directed towards Erie.

Now Dreary Erie, haven't seen or heard that one in a loooooooong time.

PTR

Fulton NY used to have "City With A Future" on their welcome signs. Since all the factories have been leaving, they've taken that slogan down.

Presque Isle is awesome. We drive up from Pittsburgh to go there probably 3-4 times every summer. Great bike/running trail around the bay/lake; good for sailing and kite-flying; very nice and clean beaches.

Oh, and I've been to Erie on Sundays at sportsbars over the last 5-10 years or so, and I'm amazed at how evenly split it always was between Bills, Browns, and Steelers fans.

It's one of those unique places that is basically equidistant to three sports teams.

Erie probably has as many Browns fans as Steelers fans. Steeler fans are just louder and more obnoxious. They never, ever, shut up about their team. Browns fans have to be drunk to talk up their team (for good reason). We Bills fans on the other hand are enthusiastic but respectful and courteous to everyone. Even more so when we go to a game and tailgate. 0:)