Lance Briggs and a few others to wear Red, White

erynthered

I really doubt they will be fined. In this case, leaving disciplinary action to Goodell's discretion is a good thing.

I'm drunk...but I'm pretty sure it's THEY'RE ...Just saying.

9:00AM? Well, it is Friday, but take it easy my man... :beer:

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by Stranger in a Strange Land

If the players were smart about it and called in advance to do it, then went public it would tie Goodells hands andlet the players do so. I'm for having team players get fined when they act out and do stupid stuff, but believe the NFL will be EXTREMELY STUPID IF THEY FINE PLAYERS FOR WEARING THE UNITED STATES COLORS IN HONOR. If they do that then maybe the NFL would like to set up in another country. It would be a slap in the face to our own nation if they do. Highly doubt he gets fined. We will see though.

They are talking about it right now on ESPN2. They are knocking Goodell for not coming up with the idea himself (which I agree with). Fining a player for standing out on his own to show his support would be the dumbest thing that he has ever done and will catch heat for it for sure.

This is either:

1. A nice, patriotic guy who wants to do his little part to commemorate the day

-OR-

2. A cynical, selfish guy who wants to defray any trouble he may get in with Bears fans, or the fans of the team he demands to be traded to if the Bears won't re-do his contract, by covering himself in phony 9/11 accessories.

Didn't Peyton get fined for wearing Hightops in a tribute to Unitas after he died?

From the article I just posted above your post:

you remember that the NFL threatened to fine Peyton Manning(notes) for wearing high-top cleats to honor the late Johnny Unitas after Unitas passed away on September 11, 2002, you know that the league takes its uniform rules very, very seriously. Manning was threatened with a $25,000 fine if he wore the cleats in a game because he had formally been denied permission to do so by the NFL. In the end, Manning took a pass, though Baltimore Ravens quarterback Chris Redman(notes) flew in the face of authority and got popped with a $5,000 fine for his trouble.

This is either:

1. A nice, patriotic guy who wants to do his little part to commemorate the day

-OR-

2. A cynical, selfish guy who wants to defray any trouble he may get in with Bears fans, or the fans of the team he demands to be traded to if the Bears won't re-do his contract, by covering himself in phony 9/11 accessories.

You are correct. This guy is a douchebag. He demanded to be traded in '07 and got a 36 million contract. Halfway thorugh this new contract he screamed for, he wants to be traded again.

If you think he has any genuine sentiments for those killed on 9/11, you're a total sucker and you should be find one game.

The reason it will produce a fine is because it not league sanctioned. If they were to let him off, what leverage would the league have when Ed Wang (if he ever pays again) wants to wear a Chinese flag on his jersey?

You must make the rule black and white so as to not set a president.

It's not like the league isn't doing anything to commemorate 911 anyways.

Gloves are tricky, not sure about the NFL but in college there are rules pertaining to the colors allowed for gloves so referees are better able to see hand placement, holding, etc. If a team is wearing a blue glove and playing a team with blue jerseys I could see it being an issue.

another story on it:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/NFL-players-may-be-fined-for-wearing-unauthorize?urn=nfl-wp6799

Gloves are tricky, not sure about the NFL but in college there are rules pertaining to the colors allowed for gloves so referees are better able to see hand placement, holding, etc. If a team is wearing a blue glove and playing a team with blue jerseys I could see it being an issue.

another story on it:

http://sports.yahoo....?urn=nfl-wp6799

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Precedent or not, permission or not, and regardless of the reason behind him wearing them, there is no way the league can fine the players without taking a serious PR beating. They simply can't win this one. They're best off to let it slide this week and resume fines in week 2 for any uni violations.

Precedent or not, permission or not, and regardless of the reason behind him wearing them, there is no way the league can fine the players without taking a serious PR beating. They simply can't win this one. They're best off to let it slide this week and resume fines in week 2 for any uni violations.

^ this^