Chan Gaileys presser Wednesday

DaveinElma

Was anyone else alarmed when Gailey said he had to explain to the players (especially the younger ones) the importance of September 11 2001? The youngest players on the Bills team would have been 13 at the time of 9/11. What does this say about public schooling and American culture/values if the significance of 9/11 went over the heads of those coming of age at the time. Is this generation so incurious that they just shrugged on 9/11 and just went on to their reality shows, social network websites, and video games?

Alarmed? No, why would I be alarmed?

What are 24 year olds supposed to do, sit around and wallow in 9/11 stories all day?

http://www.buffalobills.com/media-center/videos/Chan-Gailey-Wednesday-Press-Conference/96c7b53f-d3ab-4217-a90b-a922f80631c0'>http://www.buffalobills.com/media-center/videos/Chan-Gailey-Wednesday-Press-Conference/96c7b53f-d3ab-4217-a90b-a922f80631c0

The exact quote is towards the end. It was like he was talking to them about an incident that happened before they were even born.

http://www.buffalobills.com/media-center/videos/Chan-Gailey-Wednesday-Press-Conference/96c7b53f-d3ab-4217-a90b-a922f80631c0

The exact quote is towards the end. It was like he was talking to them about an incident that happened before they were even born.

He says more or less "I'm not sure everybody understands the significance of 9/11 for our country, especially young people"

http://www.buffalobills.com/media-center/videos/Chan-Gailey-Wednesday-Press-Conference/96c7b53f-d3ab-4217-a90b-a922f80631c0

He says more or less "I'm not sure everybody understands the significance of 9/11 for our country, especially young people"

They were 11 yrs old at the time, probably living in Texas, Florida & California.

Their exposure to 9/11 over the last decade has been fed by cable TV. So yeah, it would be nice if an adult explained the incident to them.

Edited by GG

So what? If it happened when they were children, it is like it happened before they were born since this is the only world they've known as adults. I don't remember participating many solemn observations of Pearl Harbor day when I was a kid.

I'm more alarmed by the need to constantly harp on the events of 9/11.

They were 11 yrs old at the time, probably living in Texas, Florida & California.

Their exposure to 9/11 over the last decade has been fed by cable TV. So yeah, it would be nice if an adult explained the incident to them.

You have some low expectations for America's youth then.

Don't lump all cable news shows together. There's a lot of garbage out there like "Tingles" and Maddow but there's a lot of good stuff too.

You mean like Hannity & O'Reilly? Or Jersey Shore?

So what? If it happened when they were children, it is like it happened before they were born since this is the only world they've known as adults. I don't remember participating many solemn observations of Pearl Harbor day when I was a kid.

I'm more alarmed by the need to constantly harp on the events of 9/11.

Neither was Pearl Harbor to me, but you nor I grew up as an 11 year old in 1952, and the Japanese weren't our enemies anymore and were not a constant threat, unless you were a manufacturer of transistor radios in the late 50s.

Edited by BmoreBills

Nothing new here. In 2001 I surveyed 50 college students. Most of them thought we invaded Iraq (desert storm) because Sadam was bombing Americans and that Clinton was impeached for sex in the WH. Seriously.

You mean like Hannity & O'Reilly? Or Jersey Shore?

Hey, I learned a lot from Hannity and O'Reilly around that time. Most of it was about Chandra Levy, but hey...

Hey, I learned a lot from Hannity and O'Reilly around that time. Most of it was about Chandra Levy, but hey...

Nothing, I mean nothing is more important to the nation than a missing good looking girl. Ok, maybe a good looking girl killer.

Gary Condit must have been the only guy in the country who was thankful for 9/11...

Nothing, I mean nothing is more important to the nation than a missing good looking girl. Ok, maybe a good looking girl killer.

Good looking? I think you meant "large breasted". Because other than that...well, I always thought she looked like Brian May...