25 years ago- 9/7/86

RTW2012

September 7, 1986- Jim Kelly's first regular season game for the Bills, at Rich Stadium versus the Jets. Bills fans who had waited 3 long years for his arrival were not disappointed- Kelly was 20 of 33 for 292 yards with 3 TDs, including a 55 yarder to Reed. Unfortunately, the Bills lost a close one, 28-24. They would lose a lot of close ones that year on their way to a 4-12 record.

This was the second Bills game I attended. My first was the last game of the '85 season, a miserable game in miserable weather, with a miserable loss to the hated Jets. 23,000 in attendance- had pretty good seats for that one. The highlight of that game was Hank Bullough giving Bruce the ball on a 3rd and 1; Bruce got stuffed for no gain.

Imagine if TBD was around then? How many of us would declare Kelly a bust on that one loss?

I just laughed out loud! The PBP guy called that Bills O-line "suspect"! Ritcher, Hull, Devlin, Wolford is considered the greatest Bills O-line in history. So much for snap judgments. :lol:

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Four other major events on September 7: 1980, Bills beat Miami, ending a 10 year losing streak. 9/7/79 ESPN on the air the first time. 9/7/36 Buddy Holly was born. 9/7/2003 Warren Zevon died.

Also, it's my birthday. That's how I know all this crap.

Well...

HAPPY FREAKIN' NATAL ANNIVERSARY!!!!!

Also on this day...

1571 At the Battle of Lepanto in the Mediterranean Sea, the Christian galley fleet destroys the Turkish galley fleet.

1630 The town of Trimontaine, in Massachusetts, is renamed Boston, and becomes the state capital.

1701 England, Austria, and the Netherlands form an Alliance against France.

1778 Shawnee Indians attack and lay siege to Boonesborough, Kentucky.

1812 On the road to Moscow, Napoleon wins a costly victory over the Russians at Borodino.

1813 The earliest known printed reference to the United States by the nickname "Uncle Sam" occurs in the Troy Post.

1864 Union General Phil Sheridan's troops skirmish with the Confederates under Jubal Early outside Winchester, Virginia.

1876 The James-Younger gang botches an attempt to rob the First National Bank of Northfield, Minnesota.

1888 An incubator is used for the first time on a premature infant.

1892 James J. Corbett knocks out John L. Sullivan in first heavyweight-title boxing match fought with gloves under Marquis of Queensbury rules

1912 French aviator Roland Garros sets an altitude record of 13,200 feet.

1916 The U.S. Congress passes the Workman's Compensation Act.

1940 Battle of Britain begins as Nazi Germany begins blitzkrieg on London.

1942 The Red Army pushes back the German line northwest of Stalingrad.

1954 Integration of public schools begins in Washington D.C. and Maryland.

Also born on this day...

Elizabeth I, Queen of England (1533)

Anna Marie Robertson (Grandma Moses), American folk painter (1860)

Edith Sitwell, poet (1860)

Taylor Caldwell, novelist (1900)

Elia Kazan, Oscar-winning producer/screenwriter/director - Gentleman's Agreement and On the Waterfront (1909)

Sonny Rollins, saxophonist (1930)

Cheers :beer:

Four other major events on September 7: 1980, Bills beat Miami, ending a 10 year losing streak. 9/7/79 ESPN on the air the first time. 9/7/36 Buddy Holly was born. 9/7/2003 Warren Zevon died.

Also, it's my birthday. That's how I know all this crap.

9/7 is also the average between my cousin's b-day (9/5) and mine (9/9)

You know the saying, good things always start 25 years apart :thumbsup:

In hindsight, this could not be more true for the Bills - it was 25 years between our last AFL Championship in 1965 and our first AFC Championship in 1990.

(Some refer to this as The Curse of Pete Gogolak)

So, if history repeats itself...if hindsight is truly 20/20...this could be the beginning of another prolonged era of Buffalo Bills total offensive domination...

19 and 0 baby!!! :thumbsup:

GO BILLSSS!!!!

Reverse the Curse!!!!! B-)

Edited by The Senator

youtube.com/watch?v=qvi_jcy9A1I

Just watching his introduction at the beginning of the clip is awesome. I remember watching and thinking....finally! Thankfully his career lived up to my 'internal' hype. :thumbsup:

I couldn't agree more. I had that feeling that he was going to be someone special and that things were finally going in the right direction for the Bills. Hard to believe that was 25 years ago, damn..